Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Congratulations @Ygramul!!! :joy:
    It's great to see you finally (1000 hours hehe) make it through the first game. I like your decision to keep Imoen (after all, she'll return in BG2). Cheers!
  • MeanbunnyMeanbunny Member Posts: 107
    @Blackraven I am highly impressed that you managed to solo the game with a Wizard Slayer. The no magic items clause is really a pain in the butt. Wizard Slayer in part 2 is sure to be interesting.

Also, I hope you enjoy your trip to Europe. I have never been overseas but I hope that will change one day in the future. Do me a favor and buy a jar of Marmite and tell me how it tastes! (if you happen to be in the Western part of Europe) Also, remember to stay safe, traveling can be a dangerous thing sometimes. Not to mention we don't get reloads in real life. Hopefully you will be keeping in contact during your trip.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Congrats, @Ygramul ! And Minsc was the one who inflicted a death blow :)

Now you've finally managed to beat BG1 without reloads! No matter how many hours it took, the main thing is that you've done it! Enjoy the moment!
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    bengoshi said:

Congrats, @Ygramul ! And Minsc was the one who inflicted a death blow :)

Now you've finally managed to beat BG1 without reloads! No matter how many hours it took, the main thing is that you've done it! Enjoy the moment!

Actually, I had finished BG1 before with F/M and Sorcerer over the years, but this is the first time I finished BGEE.

Come to think of it, on a entertainment-hour-per-dollar basis the EE games (and all BG products, which I must have purchased about 4-5 times each) come to about 1/100th of a movie.

... and that's why I'd, e.g., pay $30 for an AI-only DLC etc.

--

Meanwhile, Selyna successfully made it out of Château Irenicus.
    With SCS up and the rest restriction there, it's actually a pretty challenging initial crawl where you have to make use of healing potions.

Selyna just met an Elven Ogre-Mage named Aerie and investigating a rather peculiar circus tent...

Oh, by the way, here is Selyna's Spellbook so far. I seek opinions on her further development:

1 : MM, Shield, Prot Petrification, Prot. Evil, Spook
    2 : MAA, MI, Glitterdust, Remove Fear
    3 : Fireball, Spell Thrust, Dispel Magic
    4 : Ice Storm, Stoneskin
    5 : Chaos

intend get at next levels:
    L11: Blur, Slow, Imp. Inv, Breach
    L12: Chain Lightning
    L13: ?, Greater Malison, Spell Imm, ProMW
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I salute taking 5 in DEX and 12 in CON for a no-reload run, @lroumen ! I wish Cuwaert to survive on his quest to stop drinking to find a killer of Gorion.
    lroumen said:

A barbarian is born.
    On his way he meets up with Imoen who chats with him about going on travels. Cuwaert suggests to take her with him, but she rejects the offer stating that Gorion would never allow it. In the inner grounds he finds Gorion. After some unanswered questions were posed he felt he was ready to leave. His drunkeness had cleared off and he felt strong again.

Love the narrative! Welcome to the thread @lroumen and good luck to Cuwaert!

(... and good luck with Imoen's kleptomania, it seems.)

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Thanks, I will try to update as often as I can.
    Stats mean little in bg, but I did use 15 strength because a rage will bump my unarmed attack to decent damage ;). For fun I gave him 2 stars in darts to stick with the bar theme, but reduced dex because then barbarian rage decreases AC even more. This ought to become interesting when I go melee against bandits and assassins later on.
    Selyna the Dragon Disciple.

Early adventures in Athkatla:

Approached by a girl named Nalia and decided to help her with my ragtag band:
    Jaheira, Minsc, Nalia, Aerie, Anomen

(pretending that I don't know about some of the other characters I have yet to meet; pretending also that I don't know how much Anomen is gonna annoy me yet!)

We couldn't go to her dad's keep, because we had help a guy named Renfeld who was poisoned.

And on the docks district, saw a Vampire attacking a few shady types. Before I could say a word, Minsc charged blindly on...

1. Vampires drain your precious precious levels -> panic in the ranks! I salvoed with every magic attack I had originally planned for Troll slaying and Anomen summoned an Invisible Stalker. Wow! Those things hit hard.

2. Cowled Wizards apparently don't like the casting of magic in the streets. This is gonna make my stay tricky.

The vampire Hareishan in dead and Minsc is only a little disoriented. Aerie will fix her up.

So far Athkatla is dangerous, but Selyna is doing well.

--

**question**
    I'm happy with the pick of 'Chaos' as my lvl10 spell pick so far: it made a Suna Seni ambush and the Renfeld fight trivial from the start. Although I probably condemned myself out of Spell Shield [since I *need* Breach and SI]. Is there a reliable alternative to Spell Shield (especially against Beholders)? Should I invest in Spell Deflection or Spell Turning? (I'm not sure I can last all the way to Spell Trap without.)
    Some nice activity here :) Keep it up @Iroumen and @Ygramul.
    As to Beholder fighting, I don't know which spell works better Ygramul. I do understand that in recent SCS versions Spell Shield has been nerfed vis-a-vis Beholders, so you're not missing out on much there.

Btw I'm retiring Morhild. She survived Chateau Irenicus and did some early SoA quests (Circus, Slavers parts I & II, some Thieves stuff), but I had a problem with her at the d'Arnise Hold. She defeated several Trolls including three Spirit Trolls but a fourth Spirit Troll repeatedly STR-drained her all the way down to 13. I had her drop almost all her gear because she couldn't drop her Full Plate mail (from the Den of the Seven Vales Dwarf) so that she could retreat. She made it outside, and had to either rest or travel in order for the Trolls not to wait for her directly at the entrance. When she went inside valuable loot such as Vhailor's Helm, Refelction Shield and Tuigan Bow were gone. This in itself was annoying enough to make me feel like quitting. However she also got surrounded by circa ten Trolls, a lot more than there were before. She had arrows of fire, but without Tuigan Bow she couldn't kill her enemies.
    Something similar had happened before to Thani (my most successful WS to date) in an SCS v28 run, but in my last run with Isadora no such thing had occurred, which caused me not to expect the massive respawn.

Morhild didn't technically die, though I suppose she would after being deadlocked in battle for hours. I don't consider her dead though because realistically knocking a Troll down should allow a character to walk over it and gain freedom, and sticking an arrow of fire into a knocked down Troll should kill it.
    Bummer on Morhild, @Blackraven
    She was a stolid and sturdy adventurer.
    (Q.: Would a Negative Plane Protection-item such as Mace of Disruption prevent ability score drain? Or am I thinking NWN here?)

Incidentally, Selyna is currently tackling d'Arnise Hold now as well. So, I'll give them a whatfor for you as well.

(Problem is, it is so early in the game, I hardly have even any magic weapons. Anomen's Aerial Servant had been doing some tanking for me so far. But there are so many trolls with SCS...)
    @Ygramul, yeah please kick some Spirit Troll ass. Annoying buggers.
    NPP doesn't help against stat drain unfortunately, so careful there.

I had the same problem with magic weapons (nothing to kill the Trolls with after Tuigan Bow was gone).
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Some roleplaying pics, forgot to make some of the loot, but we can all imagine what those are ;). So far so good. I am just lucky with the unarmed melee. I should have been dead by now, but I hit Marl three times with a critical, which is probably the only reason I am still standing. Interesting move I had to make with the Flaming Fist; I did not expect them to attack when I surrendered. Strange that I could not immediately go down from Ulcaster, but oh well... not a problem. Now I guess south to Naskhel. Yeey! We are still alive!.
    Eeek... After all these years I have yet to dare piss off the Flaming Fist. It's good to know that someone else got the attitude.

*grabs popcorn*
  • MourekMourek Member Posts: 5
    HI and congrats guys on all your runs.
    That made me start one and i died kinda oddly and i want to know if that's a bug and if i should keep going on.
    It happend in cloackwood mines level 2. The mage in the room full of guards casted a lightning bolt through the wall and it bounced couple times to instakill me. From the angle it seems like the bolt appeared on me through the wall.
    1- I was out of caster vision before his spell ended. (i tought it would be cancelled but didnt)
    2- For the lightning bolt being cast to hit me... it wouldve to do a 90 degrees down the corridor and then after hitting me go 45 degrees back and forth.

what do you guys think?
    I tried to be clear but english isnt my first language.
    Thanks.
    @Mourek Hello and welcome to this thread! Nice to get new faces here:)

In a situation like you've described, I would consider my run ended because I've let an enemy mage to cast a dangerous spell (in 90% of situations deadly in BG1). The fact that it went through the wall can't deny that the spell was cast (wan't interrupted) and the mage managed to choose your character as a target.

valuable loot such as Vhailor's Helm, Refelction Shield and Tuigan Bow were gone. However she also got surrounded by circa ten Trolls, a lot more than there were before.

A tough situation, @Blackraven ! I think it's a legit reason for a stop. It's such a pity though. Maybe Spirit Trolls were the reason Yahiko didn't even go to the Keep.
    edited September 2015
    Mourek said:

HI and congrats guys on all your runs.
    That made me start one and i died kinda oddly and i want to know if that's a bug and if i should keep going on.
    It happend in cloackwood mines level 2. The mage in the room full of guards casted a lightning bolt through the wall and it bounced couple times to instakill me. From the angle it seems like the bolt appeared on me through the wall.
    1- I was out of caster vision before his spell ended. (i tought it would be cancelled but didnt)
    2- For the lightning bolt being cast to hit me... it wouldve to do a 90 degrees down the corridor and then after hitting me go 45 degrees back and forth.

what do you guys think?
    I tried to be clear but english isnt my first language.
    Thanks.

Welcome, Mourek.

After the mage starts casting, most spells *will* find you and hit you even if you move away. Turning invisible is one way out of this I think. (It cancels the spell.)

A mage in a corridor is nasty business. Basically, in BG1 I try to distract them with summons. Some better players manage them with potions or by reliably interrupting them (poison etc.).

Later in the game, you can have more reliable defenses.

Feel free to post your future runs (or the previous adventures of your recently dead character, as you wish).
  • MourekMourek Member Posts: 5
    bengoshi said:

@Mourek Hello and welcome to this thread! Nice to get new faces here:)

In a situation like you've described, I would consider my run ended because I've let an enemy mage to cast a dangerous spell (in 90% of situations deadly in BG1). The fact that it went through the wall can't deny that the spell was cast (wan't interrupted) and the mage managed to choose your character as a target.

Yes i guess next time i will be more careful. But the fact that i had 98 HP on a single cast of lightning bolt if it didnt go through the wall and bounced oddly i wouldn't have died. I wasn't worried about it. In fact, i think i died on the 5th hit of it. But yea... next time ill just eat the damage and avoid those tricky bounces.
  • HenkeBHenkeB Member Posts: 97
    Hello everyone.

After an extended summer break Bhane the Blackguard is back.
    He made some progress, pressing further ahead then any of my previous attempts on a no-reload.
    Previous personal best was another blackguard with a full group that got killed by Prats gang beneath Candlekeep.

As righht now Bhane and his team are standing outside the temple of Bhaal before the final fight...

Its Bhane
    Vhaegar the FMT
    Viconia
    Dorn
    Baeloth
    Tiax

I will take a short break to let the dog out and then Im going for Sarevok.
    I have 3 pfm scrolls and some potions, plan is to use those together with spider and skeleton summons.

Maybe this time.....
    Bhane made it to Dárnise Keep..

Had a bad start and struggled almost all the way there.
    Escaped the dungeon with not much trouble, but had to use a lot of healing potions.
    Solved the cirkus quest.
    Wanted to keep the party I used for BG1 as much as i could and went to rescue Viconia.... That failed horribly.
    With no healing potions and taking lots of damage from the fanatics, especialy the archer... He took down my FMT and had Bhane almost dead.
    Bhane ran north to get healed in the temple of Waukeen, spent all gold on that. Meanwhile the fanatics managed to kill off Viconia.... wich was a bummer since I had realy planned to keep her.

Well not wanting to give up I recruited Dorn, couldnt afford to raise the FMT so Dorn and Bhane went for the keep with hopes of raising some money.
    Had Nalia join once there for some extra firepower. Made my way trough the keep but got killed trying to snag the frostreaver axe.
    End of Bhane.

Next attempt will be with a good pary or a smaller custom made pary, havnt decided yet.
    Ay Henke, I wish I only had congratulations for you, but I'm sorry to have to offer you my condolences as well. Thanks for sharing (though I wouldn't mind a little more detail), and best of luck with your next attempt!
    HenkeB said:

Well not wanting to give up I recruited Dorn, couldnt afford to raise the FMT so Dorn and Bhane went for the keep with hopes of raising some money.
    Had Nalia join once there for some extra firepower. Made my way trough the keep but got killed trying to snag the frostreaver axe.
    End of Bhane.

Was that due to the Golems? They had once killed me there in an earlier playthrough.

I recently passed through that area with a Nalia (who was my scout) invisibly picking the contents then (since she turns visible after) dashing to grab the other two alcoves and gulping down an invisibility potion.

Those Golems are murder to an early party.

Condolences and good luck for your next run.
    Yes it was the golems, thought i could outrun them and go down to the basement.
    Ofcourse they hasted and blocked the door before i could get near it.

Thanks I will try to give more details on my next adventure.
    Ive started one and for now its a team of two

Järv - Elven Kensai/Mage
    Korolina - Elven Bounty hunter

For now they are seeking their bountys around Berengost.
    Good luck Henke with your new duo. I see there's a Bounty Hunter around, so all should work out well :smiley: (Saying this beause I love Bounty Hunters.)

Nice to see you here @Mirage :) I love the intro and the approach you're taking with lots of roleplaying and limited metagaming, and I'm also fond of the Lawful Neutral alignment. Be very careful though. A lone, non-metagamed low level Mage is easy pickings for about every enemy available in the game.
    I don't want to influence Norkul's course but maybe he could develop an interest in wands (Fear and Sleep at the High Hedge). And maybe Berrun Ghastkill's request could prompt Norkul to explore the borderland between the Sword Coast and Amn, and accidentally find a Wand of Monster Summoning in a tomb after he cast Protection from Undead in the undead-ridden area east of the Nashkel Mines.