Skip to content

Planescape: Torment sequel on the way

neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
edited December 2012 in Off-Topic

Comments

• DeltaslayerDeltaslayer Member Posts: 49
    Oh dear...
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    The people who liked Torment, really liked it. I think for the rest of it, meh.
  • ZinodinZinodin Member Posts: 153
    Never played, but I heard good things. Not so much redundant combat, and more story.

Could be interesting
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Am I the only one who struggled to enjoy PS:T? The story was great, but the combat and slow start made it worse than either BG, IMO. Hopefully the sequel will do well though-loving the surge in popularity of old-school rpgs!
  • AlexRmFAlexRmF Member Posts: 20
    this should be good :D like all the old-school rap legends that went independent and started doing exactly the type of music they wanted to do for the fans
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    My brains exploded into rainbows and feels <_>
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    sounds good :)
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Tome said:

Am I the only one who struggled to enjoy PS:T? The story was great, but the combat and slow start made it worse than either BG, IMO. Hopefully the sequel will do well though-loving the surge in popularity of old-school rpgs!

I didn't enjoy PS:T as much as I thought I would, I'm more looking forward to Project Eternity and have pledged for that

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    This ArsTechnica.com article talks about a sequel. Looks interesting.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Merged topics.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    O.o

o wow...

if this is true, it seems my interest in video-gaming may be born anew, after few long years of being fed up with various crap out there. so- bg:ee, bg2:ee, pst:ee, project eternity and TORMENT. sounds good to me.

and btw- i REALLY like the thought process- what is life's worth if it has any. sounds like a worthy premise, a one i hope to see flourish with its potential and not becoming pretentious.
    :')
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    I can't imagine it'd be much of a sequel if you know, they don't have the Planescape license? Maybe just turning it into a series or something. I'm pessimistic, but I always am.
  • Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2012
    Count me in. Original Black Isle people involved? Heck yeah, I would back it on KS and/or play the hell out of it. Enhanced editions of BG 1 & 2, Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, a new take on PS:T, a possible BG 3, the Witcher series, Skyrim, too, and DA:O not so long ago. I ask you: has there ever been a better time to be a cRPGer? It's starting to look like a whole new golden age is afoot.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Apologies @Jalily (Imoen). I didn't see it as a topic, so I was excited to get it here. I hate duplicating threads, but my heart was in the right place.
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    Reads more like a spiritual successor than a direct sequel. They don't want to deal with Wizards of the Coast.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    I'm happy also worried. The "sophomore slump".
    How about PST:EE ? :) I really want play it on win7.
  • menumenu Member Posts: 6
    planescape torment is one of the best rpg games so this is good news :)
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    Hmm... but without the planescape setting? I'll stay my hopes for now.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    @Teflon

You can play PST on Windows 7. Just get it from GOG, they even put together a list of essential mods if you have any trouble.

As for a sequel, whatever. I love PST but it is hardly sequel material. I suppose they probably mean it will be a "spiritual successor" which, good for it I guess.
  • NoredorNoredor Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

Obviously nothing to do with the heart warming revival of the old classic but perhaps something for our friends at Beamdog to investigate?

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/04/planescape-torment-writer-ponders-sequel-fargo-owns-torment-ip/
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited December 2012
    Merged threads again. <_<

"I have a lot of ideas about what to put into a new Torment game, but my primary goal would be to help the player tell a story that was evocative of the original Torment without aping it," McComb writes. "To be faithful to the odyssey of the Nameless One, and to recognize that it has ended, and that stories of Torment are ongoing."

I love this quote, it's exactly what I think a Torment sequel should be.
  • Arabus13Arabus13 Member Posts: 102
    After reading that, my question is how are you going to do Planescape...without Planescape?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Loved Torment. One of the best, if not the best, RPGs of all time.

Any game that wishes to claim spiritual sequelence to it sure has got some big shoes to fill. I instinctively doubt they can do it, and will remain suspicious until they've proven otherwise. No words is going to impress me about this.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Arabus13 said:

After reading that, my question is how are you going to do Planescape...without Planescape?

At the core, Torment is a game about a lost figure seeking his identity and his companions who each have their secrets and personal torment. It's a game about belief, pain, loss and the consequences of actions, some long in the past.

Keep the overall theme and depth and they can have the setting be Disney World for all I care.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Torment is one of the few games who took character depth seriously!
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited December 2012
    Hope Chris Avellone will be involved sooner or later, too. And I also hope it will not share the same fate as the RPG project by Guido Henkel (Thorvalla) which was recently canceled by the project creator.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    DJKajuru said:

Torment is one of the few games who took character depth seriously!

There are more than a few. But sadly they do take some effort to find.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    Hmm.

Methinks some people do not know what Sequel means.

Sorry but create a similar game, with a similar theme, but not setting it in the same universe means that guess what? It isn't a sequel.
    If that were true then we could say that both Warlock Master of the Arcane and Fallen Enchantress are sequels to Master of Magic.

And Gal Civ is a sequel to Civilization.

Or Dragon Age is the Sequel to Baldur's Gate.

It's like saying a n RTS game called Space Trek Armada featuring the Clappingons, the Rimulans, the Borogs, the Vandassians, and the Funerengi is the sequel to Star Trek Armada.

Honestly.

Taking a gaming that is similar and slapping on the Torment name does not a sequel make.
  • SheennoobiSheennoobi Member Posts: 9
    I just got introduced to the infinity engine games this year and i really liked the enhanced editions, i cant wait for all of them to come out!

i'm gonna be locking myself in my apartment and start an epic journey!

to the beamdog crew, take your time i'm willing to wait decades as long as its polished.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Glad for you, @Sheennoobi !

I would like to mention, though, that we have a full-running thread for the next Planescape game, where you can find out all the details: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/34885/torment-tides-of-numenera#latest. InXile are the developers of this game, and an alpha test has already begun.

As for the latest Beamdog work, check https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/40963/baldurs-gate-siege-of-dragonspear-previously-known-as-the-adventure-y-project#latest