Skip to content

Monks: some comments

I started a new game run, and decided to try something other than a warrior kit. So I rolled up a sun soul monk. I'd be a bit redundant during Rasaad's quest, but what the heck. Being LG alignment would presumably lock me out of the evil character's quests, but maybe I could find an RP work-around, since monks can't fall from grace. Maybe I want to know the enemy better, so I decide to infiltrate their ranks to see how they think? (Yeah, that's blatant rationalization, but hey, misguided thinking occurs, right?) Hmm, hang on, didn't Rasaad also use similar logic? If it worked for him, it can work for me. Sold!

Unfortunately, part way through Ch 2 I came to the realization that monks are basically just another warrior kit; heck, they even get the D'Arnise keep as their stronghold, just like a warrior.

Let's see; monks get the ability to lay on hands to heal themselves. Whee. Why bother? Healing potions are a dime a dozen. The Sun Soul guys get a few fire based tricks, (with pretty limited number of uses, btw) and later on they get significant magic resistance, but in return for this they sacrifice HP. An interesting trade off, but not really worth it IMO. You can get MR through items as well. By the end of ToB, my berserker had partial or full immunity to just about everything, AND had 220 HP. Now let's look at monk HLAs. Basically they get the same ones that warriors do. Hardiness, critical strike, whirlwind will be their mainstays; this confirms my concept of monks as a warrior subclass.

Some monk abilities are puzzling. I gleefully stuck a bunch of points into find traps, up to 100 ability, then realized that even if I found a trap, I couldn't disarm it! What were the devs thinking here? I still need a thief type to disarm the damned things. Monks get the ability to hide in shadows and move silently, but again, why? They can't backstab, although they do get +4 on THACO if attacking from hiding. Yes, you can argue that they can be used as scouts if they train these skills, but we have already demonstrated that we need a thief kit for other things, so why not use your thief type as a scout if you need one? They can do the same thing AND backstab also.

Monk gets some thief abilities, which abruptly dead end for no good reason. If they really wanted monks to be a warrior/thief hybrid, they should have allowed them to train in other thief type skills, with perhaps a sacrifice of some physical combat ability. That would allow for some diverse training paths.

Why can they only achieve 1 pip in weapons expertise; to make them even more thief-like? Ever watched Bruce Lee use nun-chuks or a pair of jo-sticks? Looks pretty adept to me. And why the limitations on weapon types that can be used? Monks are designed to use their fists as weapons, but they only rise to the equivalent of +4 weapons, and even that's not till level 25; if you want better, you need to grab a weapon. Why are two-handers not allowed? Plenty of Kung-fu movies show warrior monks using spears, naginatas, bo-sticks and what have you. Naginatas are sort of the Oriental equivalent of halberds, and ... I WANT MY MONK TO BE ABLE TO USE RAVAGER +6! Grrr!

Thinking of trying a cleric or sorcerer instead. Or maybe a blade.

Comments

• FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    Bah, I just realized that I left out that monks also get immunity to disease and poison later on. That's a fair compensation, although I never found those to be much of a problem. There are plenty of antidote potions around, and what gives you disease, other than a few rare critters like Otyughs?
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Honestly, nothing really gives you diseases. I remember dying repeatedly from mummy rot, but that was more of an issue in IWD than in BG. Monks are fun if you really buff them up with items and spells. And the chance that Quivering Palm gives you to insta-kill anything is awesome; I've seen a monk take out Firkraag with that ability. But Sun Souls don't get that. So really, unless you have good backup tanks, I'd say you really need to know how to build a monk to successfully play one. Of course, the best way to figure that out is to play one...
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    The best monks in game are still prolly the base class, then darkmoone, then sun soul honestly. Stunning and Quivering palm are just fun
    edited September 2015
    Oh, you can certainly play a monk through to the end, I m sure, with the right supporting NPCs. Heck, I could play a vanilla thief and get through to the end. But I can't see the reason for monks even bothering with stuff like trap detection. "Look there's a trap! We better turn around and go home."

And again, they are pretty much just warrior types as far as their function in a party of adventurers. I wasn't denying the fact that they can be effective in combat, but rather that they work the same way as fighters. Run up to something, beat it over the head until dead. Been there, done that. Didn't realize until playing for a few hours that this was the case. That's why I am considering cleric, cleric/thief, or sorcerer as alternate possibilities. Something mechanically different.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595

His armor class will never be world breaking but it's much better than other unarmored or lightly armored classes due to its constant progression. He also gets innate resistance to missile weapons and a boost to his save vs. spells. He also becomes immune to magic weapons which means you can skip the path that rewards it in hell, and the immunity to poison and disease is nice to have.

You probably meant normal weapons, right?
    I'll have to disagree on the AC point, a high level monk has a pretty great AC.

@FrdNwsm You're basically correct, a monk is just another warrior type. And even more straightforward than most others. You don't even need to play around with gear to go to town and kick some butt. That doesn't mean they aren't awesome.

If you want something different to your berserker run, I strongly suggest picking up a bard or a druid. The Avenger kit is the strongest of the pure druids, and really fun to play. A Blade is the perfect combination of songs and swords, on the other hand. Their strongholds are very good as well.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2015
    Monks are pretty interesting because Bioware likely based them on the Scarlet Brotherhood Monk of Greyhawk (came out in 1999) which itself shares a lot of similarities with the 1E monk. For instance the monk class mention in Scarlet Brotherhood Monk of Greyhawk

- Can only Find (but not remove) traps.
    - Have a faster movement rate (which also improves with levels)
    - Get thief points but can only put those thief points into Find Traps, Climb Walls, Hear Noise, Move Silently, and Hide in Shadows (two of which you can't get in the BG series).
    - Can't cast spells.
    - At 5th level they become immune to disease, slow and haste.
    - At 7th level they gain the ability to heal 2 points of damage/level once per day
    - At 9th level they become immune to charm.
    - At level 11 they become immune to poison.
    - At level 13 they gain an ability called "Quivering Palm" (which may cause death)

As far as BG goes they are technically priests, but they share Thac0 progression and HLA's with warriors and get some thieving abilities (as well as thief weapon proficiencies) as well. Personally I think of them more as priests, especially given that the majority of the series you don't have HLA's, but I can see why people would view them as being a warrior.
    Post edited by elminster on
    I can see some point to finding traps if they are in an open area and can just be avoided by going around them. Finding a trap on a door or chest you really want to open, and being unable to disarm it is just irritating. The only advantage I can see is that you can send your best tank to trigger the trap and move everyone else out of the range of the explosion, and hope that the fall guy survives.

"Hey Charlie, open that door for us will you, while we go hide around the corner? Nah, don't worry, it's perfectly safe."

As for moving silently and hiding, as I said that could be useful as a scouting maneuver. But a thief would be better for this, since they can take advantage of any backstab opportunities that occur. To take fuller advantage of these skills, there should be another monk kit, maybe call it the Ninja, who can do this and also have an assassination type skill like ... well, like the thief HLA, except that they could put points into it from the start instead of waiting 25+ levels and then getting it all at once.

Lastly, I would like to comment on what seems to me to be contradictory kit designs on Bioware's part. Monks and Kensai have a lot of similarities. Both are designed not to wear armor, concentrating on offence rather than defense. Both are supposedly wearing robes in order to give them more freedom of movement, and they compensate for lack of armor by getting increases in AC as they gain experience. But why are Kensai unable to wear bracers, while Monks can? I gave my guy the bracers of AC3 and his AC went up nicely. If bracers don't impede a monk's maneuverability in combat, a kensai should be able to use them as well.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Monks are the Mages of the warriors.
    They suck in the beginning, they are good mid-level and they are gods at high level.

Which means you have to babysit them a lot in the beginning but in the end, they destroy stuff.
    You play Monks for the sheer satisfaction that you're destroying everything in the end with your fists.

@elminster
    I'm pretty positive that the BG2 Monks were based on the 3E Monks. Just like Sorcerers etc.
    Now, if the 3E Monks were based on the Greyhawk ones, that's another thing.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2015
    Archaos said:

@elminster
    I'm pretty positive that the BG2 Monks were based on the 3E Monks. Just like Sorcerers etc.
    Now, if the 3E Monks were based on the Greyhawk ones, that's another thing.

It certainly has elements of 3E (like a mention of ki, it getting stunning blows, and magic resistance) but it still shares more in common with the greyhawk class than with the 3E class (particularly when it comes to mechanics and ability progression). So its probably some kind of hybrid.
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    Yannir said:

His armor class will never be world breaking but it's much better than other unarmored or lightly armored classes due to its constant progression. He also gets innate resistance to missile weapons and a boost to his save vs. spells. He also becomes immune to magic weapons which means you can skip the path that rewards it in hell, and the immunity to poison and disease is nice to have.

You probably meant normal weapons, right?
    I'll have to disagree on the AC point, a high level monk has a pretty great AC.

Yeah I meant normal weapons. And I guess their AC does get down pretty low, think it's -1 base at max level, with dex bonuses and protection items on top. For some reason I was under the impression that their AC caps earlier than that so you've got me there.

In practice the monk is basically a fighter with some tricks up his sleeves to make up for not using weapons. When you play a fighter class you're generally just setting them to stab things while you micromanage other characters, but the monk is a bit more interesting due to his innate abilities and immunities.

Both sides of this coin have their perks but you honestly haven't lived until you see a late game monk hitting for like 30 non-critical damage with every hit.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    @sparrow13x At one point I had a monk that had an additional -15 to AC as ability bonuses, he was level 37 at the time. That made his AC a whopping -22 totally devoid of gear. It capped out to -24 with a few items. I think it was caused by some kind of bug, that doubled all of his AC bonuses from other stuff. And it was permanent. That was a weirdly bugged playthrough in other ways as well.
  • selkyraselkyra Member Posts: 54
    I remember using Keldorn's armour on my PC monk. It required specific stats to be able to be worn, though. It may give you some AC bonus early on (+saving throws and free action) but Keldorn himself has more use it, me thinks...
    I think you needed to have equal or higher stats than Keldorn which is crazy hard to get since you need your standard 18/18/16 statline, PLUS at least 12 INT and 18 CHA. So short of getting a godly 95+ roll or gimping some other stat it's not worth even trying for it.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Ring of Human Influence. One or two Potions of Genius. Your monk should be able to wear the armor for the rest of the adventure. Unless it's unmodded EE.

Honestly, if I had to fight with my bare hands against people with big pointy hurty things, I'd wear a suit of armor. I put more faith in solid steel than my own reflexes.
    edited September 2015
    I was really just wanting to be able to use Ravager, but I guess I'll have to do without if I keep using that monk. I can always recruit someone like Mazzy, train her in Halberds give her a belt of whatever giant strength, and watch her whack heads off critters twice her height. Or maybe recruit Valygar, train him in halberd and two handed weapons, and let him backstab enemies with it. Backstabbed by someone using Ravager ... that's gotta hurt.

I've created a whole pack of characters; going to take them all up to chapter 3 and then decide which one deserves to go all the way to ToB. I had a human swashbuckler that I converted to a mage at level 11; then I realized I had basically created an Imoen clone with better thief skills. We already have Imoen and Nalia; does Faerun need yet another thief/mage? Probably not, so I went back to an earlier save and undid the changeover.

So far I have:
    Human Swashbuckler
    Human Blade
    Half-orc Cleric of Lathander
    Elf Archer
    Human Sun Soul Monk

Wondering about a sorcerer. I like the idea of not having to worry about choosing spells ahead of time. Getting fewer spells per day seems a reasonable trade off in return for the flexibility. On the other hand, I'm not lacking for choices of mages of various types to recruit for the party. Might be a bit redundant.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    If your Monk is going to use the Sun Soul kit, might as well recruit Rasaad, no?
    2 sun soul monks in one party? Super redundant.

Ring of Human Influence. One or two Potions of Genius. Your monk should be able to wear the armor for the rest of the adventure. Unless it's unmodded EE.

Honestly, if I had to fight with my bare hands against people with big pointy hurty things, I'd wear a suit of armor. I put more faith in solid steel than my own reflexes.

True, but potions require constant micromanagement and the ring obviously prevents you from wearing another more useful ring.

In either case the monk really won't need it by around level 14. Once he gets that juicy MR the save bonus doesn't matter as much and his AC will eventually get so good that he doesn't need the plate. Ain't no monk got time for armor!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @sparrow13x: Actually, you won't need to micromanage the equipment. Equip the ring once, drink the potion once, and the armor will stay on, even if the icon turns red.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JomberwigJomberwig Member Posts: 8
    Not sure if Bruce Lee was magic resistant? Actually don't think he was a monk. But there super fast movement rate is a great feature, although admittedly maybe a bit annoying if you have several slower characters. And I seem to remember a decent ninja-to/scimitar they can have that gets an extra attack or along those lines
  • Yeah, the Monk is more Wuxia-inspired. Bruce Lee is more of a Fighter (kit modified perhaps) operating in a society where openly carrying weapons or wearing armor is frowned upon/illegal. Dangerous unarmed, but even more dangerous if he gets his hands on a weapon (though movie tropes often limit this).
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Jomberwig said:

Not sure if Bruce Lee was magic resistant?

Well, he never took any damage from magic spells, so I'd think he had at least some resistance.
    Or Greater Evasion.
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    edited September 2015
    Darkmoon is the best... 3 reasons
    1: Evil, lawful Evil bhalspawn are awesome and sometimes come with Duhm, horror and vampiric touch, etc

2. Mirror image is great, so you can free up 1 ring slot(mirror image ringx3 vagrant blades) and or 1 slot for that mirror image shortsword for something else. Blur is good as well.

3. They get quivering palm as well.

These guys get alot of good options,

---
    Normal monk, gets stunning blow.. That's it over the darkmoon.

Sunsoul is the weakest of the 3, does fire damage, great against undead... Excells in IWD, okay in bg2. No quivering palm.
    edited September 2015
    The Dark Moon doesn't get DUHM, Lawful Evil is one of the only alignments that doesn't get it apparently. Learned that earlier today.

Edit: Looks like I might be wrong since two True Neutral characters I just created had totally separate abilities. Is it always that way or does it have to do with aTweaks I wonder?

The Dark Moon doesn't get DUHM, Lawful Evil is one of the only alignments that doesn't get it apparently. Learned that earlier today.

Edit: Looks like I might be wrong since two True Neutral characters I just created had totally separate abilities. Is it always that way or does it have to do with aTweaks I wonder?

There seems to be a huge random factor in Bhaalspawn abilities. I have created a 20 or so to compare kits, and I get the feeling that there is a general trend; namely that the more oriented towards good you are the more "blue" ones you are likely to get, but there is no guarantee whatsoever.
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    edited September 2015

Lawful Evil gets random stuff all the time. I just rolled a dark moon monk. First try, got it (DuHm) plus some healing, and others lol

Neutral evil usually gets 2 vampire touches, 2 drains and 2 horrors.

I've made dozens upon dozens of characters..I usually only play Evil alignments... I'm a guru of evil alignments :smiley:
    Post edited by T2av on
    I wonder why it's so random for certain alignments, I always seem to get the same stuff with Chaotic Neutral (my favourite) but others don't. It can make it a pain to create a solo character since you basically need DUHM to open any locks if you aren't a thief.

I also noticed that pregenerated characters don't seem to get Bhaalspawn abilities at all for some reason.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    edited September 2015
    I have read(untested by me) that it's linked to reputation. If you have a normal/high reputation(over 10) then you will get the 'good' spells. If your reputation is bad, you will get the 'evil' spells. However, in your case, I suspect it's also linked to alignment. An evil person with a good reputation would get a mixture. Needs more testing.