Skip to content

Favorite Dungeons and Dragons settings

What are your favorite D&D worlds?

Mine are Planescape, Ravenloft and Dark Sun.
JuliusBorisovWilbur

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Where is everybody?
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I've moved this discussion to the Off-Topic section, maybe it will get more attention.

As for me, I like the world where BG and IWD happen :)
    Wilbur
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I'm most familiar with Forgotten Realms (BG and IWD) hence it's my favorite. Draconlance is a close second.
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Forgotten Realms :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    1. Forgotten Realms
    2. Greyhawk
    3. That-world-I-made-up-in-those-three-loose-leaf-notebooks-in-the-basement-that-I-never-got-the-chance-to-DM
    scriver
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    BillyYank said:

3. That-world-I-made-up-in-those-three-loose-leaf-notebooks-in-the-basement-that-I-never-got-the-chance-to-DM

This
    I had Night-elves long before WoW came out. :smiley:
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited September 2015
    Planescape
    Spelljammer
    Dark Sun
    Ravenloft
    Malatra: The Living Jungle (Forgotten Realms; a tad south from Shou Lung in Kara-Tur)
    The Horde (Forgotten Realms; right between Faerûn and Kara-Tur)
    Al-Quadim (Forgotten Realms; below Faerûn)
    Kara-Tur (Forgotten Realms; east of Faerûn)
    Maztica (Forgotten Realms; located on the other half of the globe)
    Council of Wyrms
    Forgotten Realms (as in *standard* Faerûn)
    Eberron
    Mahasarpa/Rokugan
    Wilderlands of High Fantasy

Never much cared for Greyhawk, Birthright, or Blackmoor/Mystara campaign settings. Pathfinder looks fun though, even if I've never played with that setting.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Being an old school player, I spent most of my non CRPG career in Greyhawk. With that being said, I always had a soft spot for Dragonlance. That would have to be my favorite (with Greyhawk a close second).

I think if I had spent any time in Ravenloft, I'd have liked that as well.

This may be blaspheme, but I never had a lot of time for Planescape, Spelljamers or Dark Sun. They weren't 'Dungeons and Dragons' "TO ME".
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    The Forgotten Realms (And I do mean all of it). I never invested in the World of Greyhawk setting folder/Boxed set, and I never was really that intrigued by Dragonlance. I guess I'd say that my early adventures took place in a nameless world, because we never really explicitly said what world we were in. I had a lot of modules, but we never explicitly linked them into a specific world.

I have my own world on paper up in the attic as well, so… :)
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I've only ever played BG and IWD so I guess I have to go with the forgotten realms.
    @LadyRhian - the Dragonlance thing for me is as much about the Weis and Hickman books as for any actual adventuring that I did. Oh, and the Gold box games in Dragonlance universe were really fun. I particularly liked the waxing and waning of the moons and how they impact the spell casters.
    Oh, the books were great, but I never found the world in the modules as interesting as the books. Not sure exactly why.
    I had the same feeling about Dragonlance, where Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms always felt to me like game worlds, DL felt like a setting for the novels with the game aspects as secondary features.
    I kind of suspect that is why Dragonlance failed (or at least faded away in any event) as a 'Realm'. While I know they released at least one source book and a bunch of modules, it never felt like anything other than an after-thought. Shame really. I quite liked the concept.

I was also quite pleased that it got a nod in BG2. When I encountered the Solomnic Knights in the Planar Sphere, I let out a geek-squeak. They could have done more, but at least they did something.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    I think Ravenloft deserves more love, considering the only thing it got after the White Wolf manuals was that 4th edition board game.
    the_spyder
    Ravenloft the module was the best. The setting was just sort of a patchwork that didn't seem to be connected in any way. Intentionally so, of course.
    I always felt that Ravenloft was more for the purposes of the series of books rather than an actual setting for adventuring. That may have been an erroneous impression on my part, but I did like the books that I read.

I personally was not a big fan of the recent outing with Warbreeds???
    I didn't read that one. I have both Ravenloft modules. I might run them concurrently someday. :)
    I love Ravenloft cuz i'm a sucker for gothic stuff. I also like the protrayal of golems in that setting.
  • ShadowdemonShadowdemon Member Posts: 80
    Dark Sun
    Forgotten Realms
    Ravenloft