Skip to content

MGS V

FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
Holy cow this is going to be so amazing. Anyone else hyped?

Not for any nation
not for any ideology
not for justice
not for honor
not for power
not for the future
not for love
not for peace
Only for revenge

KamigoroshiChildofBhaal599

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    i haven't even noticed this thread for this long because I've been playing this game non stop for the past week... I have 72 hours already :)
    FinneousPJ
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Any game that opens with a David Bowie song is best game 100% 10/10
    FinneousPJiKrivetko
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited September 2015
    @ChildofBhaal599 Damn I'm jealous I only got to play 8 h over the weekend.

@Vallmyr Totally. But when you see [spoiler=slight spoiler from prologue]The Third Child, dressed in what appears to be a black leather straight jacket, flying on a flaming horse with the Man on Fire[/spoiler], you know this isn't another Splinter Cell game.
    Vallmyr
    edited September 2015
    94 % on Metacritic 49 reviews.

EDIT: Forgot the linky http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain
    Post edited by FinneousPJ on
    JuliusBorisov
    This game writes the book on emergent behaviour.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited September 2015
    I actually got to play a bit of it over the weekend. It's the first Metal Gear game I've ever played, and it certainly seems good. A couple things that made it a bit more boring:-
    1. The helicopter ride into side missions seems to last forever and you can't skip it.
    2. Mission objective markers don't appear until after all the audio finishes at the start of each major quest.
    Overall, though, it's interesting. I'll most likely grab a copy of Ground Zeroes now to see some of the history—probably before I continue much further.
    FinneousPJ
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Yet to play it, however MGS on the PSX is STILL amazing even after all these years.
    FinneousPJ
    edited September 2015
    @Troodon80 It plays very differently to other Metal Gear games, which are quite linear in structure. Also, playing this and the original MGS back to back gives amazing perspective to how gameplay has evolved.

As for your observations:

1. I agree. However, the rides might be there to mask loading times, to set the mood or the allow you some time to listen to the optional tapes for exposition. Same with an interesting design feature later in the game, at Mother Base.

2. I haven't noticed this. Is it a problem?

GZ doesn't really give a lot of history. The story mission is only about 2 h, plus exposition on tape. There's lots of side missions and other stuff though. If you never plan to play the games, check the MGS movies by YouTuber KefkaProduction. There are also graphic novels.

EDIT: the relevant history pertaining to TPP is given in Snake Eater, Portable Ops and Peace Walker.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

1. I agree. However, the rides might be there to mask loading times, to set the mood or the allow you some time to listen to the optional tapes for exposition. Same with an interesting design feature later in the game, at Mother Base.

2. I haven't noticed this. Is it a problem?

Both issues are not really issues, they're personal gripes I have with the game.

So far I have been listening to the mission and optional cassettes either at Mother Base or on the Aerial Command Center. When starting each mission, it's nice to get to work. I tend to land on the ground, move around, pick some plants, get into a vehicle or get onto the horse, move around a bit more, still waiting for a further several seconds or so... and eventually the audio finishes and the marker appears.

If I listen to the audio brief before starting the mission, I can find the general area myself. Usually, I have enough time to open the map, look for the general area, place my own marker, and start moving toward that before the audio finishes at the start of the mission.

As for the helicopter ride on the way into the mission area, it could be something to do with loading resources. To be honest, I think I'd rather just have a loading screen and be able to skip helicopter ride and start on the ground. I know there's no functional difference.

GZ doesn't really give a lot of history. The story mission is only about 2 h, plus exposition on tape. There's lots of side missions and other stuff though. If you never plan to play the games, check the MGS movies by YouTuber KefkaProduction. There are also graphic novels.

EDIT: the relevant history pertaining to TPP is given in Snake Eater, Portable Ops and Peace Walker.

I'll probably get some of the other games. It's a series I've never bothered with before this, but I do quite like open world games so thought I'd given this one a go.

Resident Evil is another series I haven't bothered with. There are a few game series I haven't bothered with, but after playing one from a series that catches my eye, I tend to get other games in a given series. For example, I actually skipped Mass Effect and played Mass Effect 2. After playing that, I bought Mass Effect and played it to get some of the history/lore.
    FinneousPJ