6.06%
    8. Human
      33.33%
    9. Tiefling
      10.61%
JuliusBorisovKurumi[Deleted User]DragonKingProontAedan

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I've developed a thing for half-orcs as I grew up, and now I prefer them over elves. I usually make them into clerics, sorcerers and fighter/mages.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovKenji
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    edited August 2015
    UM
    UM
    I can't decide between Gnome and Elf!
    Gnomes are tiny and adorable!
    Elves contain the Drow subrace!
    CRAP.

Let's say that without subraces gnome but with subraces elves.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovProontKenji
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Ferret, using EEKeeper
    ProontThacoBellKenji
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I'm sorry, OP, but the only good Dragonborn is a Dragondead.

In seriousness, I wouldn't be able to decide between humans, halflings, half-orcs and (pre-4e-) tieflings. But when I doubt, I always go halfling.
    booinyoureyesProont
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    ''I'm sorry, OP, but the only good Dragonborn is a Dragondead.'' Well, screw you too then.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Ghaunadan. Closely followed by Drider, Scorpionfolk, Wemics and Naga.

Oh! And Orcs of course.
    DeathsilkProont

Oh! And Orcs of course.

Oh! And Orcs of course.

''Playable races''.

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Anything can be a "playable race". True story.

If you had spoken about the "base races" within the official D&D rule sets of an specific campaign setting on the other hand... then I'd say either Half-Orcs or Yuan-ti. A Paraelemental Ooze Genasi might be fine too.
    FinaLfrontDeathsilkProontThacoBell

Anything can be a "playable race". True story.

If you had spoken about the "base races" within the official D&D rule sets of an specific campaign setting on the other hand... then I'd say either Half-Orcs or Yuan-ti. A Paraelemental Ooze Genasi might be fine too.

I was referring to the core races of 5th edition D&D.
    JuliusBorisovProont
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    Dragonborn seem to be the Drow from earlier versions, super cool and all. I always tend to go for the most "usual" race and that is Human most of the time. I dislike the fancy/sparkly/badass looks and traits and instead focus on the background and character's motives.
    recklessheart
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Normally I would choose Elves over anything else, but Dragons or at least draconic humanoids.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageJuliusBorisovVallmyrProont
    CaloNord said:

Elf. Obviously.

Long lived, wise, skilled, powerful, Superior.

Your better in every way. . .

*Cough*

That GIF reminds me of this.
    Vallmyr
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Aasimar.
    VallmyrWandering_MinstrelProontKenji
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited September 2015
    *'^_^'*

TIEFLING... (pre-4e or even better.. from the Planescape Campaign Setting) - why? well..

In the multiverse, few creatures are of pure lineage, and even fewer are what they seem to be. That's
    the greatest truth of the tiefling's existence. It's not advisable to ask a tiefling about his or her ancestors,
    as the answer wouldn't likely be pleasant. Part human and part something else, tieflings are the orphans
    of the planes. They can be described as humans who've been plane-touched. A shadow of knife-edge in
    their face, a little too much fire in their eyes, a scent of ash in their presence - all these things and more
    describe a tiefling. No planar would mistake a tiefling for a human, and most primes make the mistake
    only once. Tieflings live with both pride and shame of who and what they are. They have no culture of
    their own, and most are loners, which fits their background. Some slip into the edges of human society,
    becoming poets and artists who describe the corrupt fringes of the respectable world. Adventurous
    types often spend their years probing the unexplored edges of the multiverse, be it to survey strange
    lands or experiment in the forgotten niches of magical science.

Source: Planescape Campaign Setting

Source: http://sirtiefling.deviantart.com/

Don't ever make a bet with a tiefling. - Planar proverb.

JuliusBorisovElrandirProont
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Probably 75% of the time I play a human. Not that I don't appreciate the other playable races. I do. In fact, I have a whole "Party" in my head with about 10 characters that I revolve around using. There are representatives of all of the major races therein. and I even play some 'One off' characters from time to time of various races that look interesting.

But my "Main" two characters, the ones I identify with most and the ones that I play the most are both human. So, it isn't necessarily that "Humans" are my "Favorite" race, but these two characters are my favorites and just happen to BE human.

"Go not to the elves for advice for they will say both no and yes." - Frodo Baggins
    TeflonProontKenji
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Horns
    Proont
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    CaloNord said:

Elf. Obviously.

Long lived, wise, skilled, powerful, Superior.

Your better in every way. . .

True. And we're all so humble about it, adding to our superiority and further infuriating hunams.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    A big green tank.

I almost always play him as a straight up fighter and I like to have an INT of at least 12 or 13, so don't expect a big, dumb brick.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    I almost always play human. Occasionally I will push the boat out and go half-elf, but usually I go human...boring, I know, but somebody has to play a member of the most common race in the world. ;)
    TeflonProontKenji
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Never played a dwarf PC in BG games, but almost always have one in IWD.

I usually play human PCs in the BG games, but occasionally foray into half-elves and recently gnomes. I am kinda sick of elves... so overused in fantasy settings that they have lost their allure. My first NWN character was an elven druid though.

I really don't think a half-orc Bhaalspawn PC makes much sense considering how you are treated throughout the games, particularly in the beginning.
    ProontKenji
    scriver said:

It would certainly explain why the hell the ass of a guard pretends to not recognise you and won't let you back in the very morning after you left though.

Because the plot needs to go on.
    booinyoureyesProont

scriver said:

It would certainly explain why the hell the ass of a guard pretends to not recognise you and won't let you back in the very morning after you left though.

Because the plot needs to go on.
    As plot devices go, that's kind of a bit weak, don't you think?
    booinyoureyesProont
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    edited September 2015
    Copy/paste what @Tuth said for my reply. Precisely that.

In addition, depending on how intensely you like to RP in environments beyond the liner campaign, and background-informing style of Baldur's Gate, humans feel like they can be shaped and immersed most fully in the rich backgrounds that Faerun provides: a Chessentan; a Dalelander; a Rashemi - they are all such different things within the one race, yet I feel like all the potential in them is subdued a little behind the front of 'race' if it so happens that your race looks as though it is going to be more interesting than that.

It isn't to criticise the other races, per se, but I feel like they plateau sooner in most instances than going for the "usual" option, if your aim is to play a character in the long-term. :)
    TuthProont
    I gather that the original intent was to create a world primarily populated by humans (hence no level caps or class restrictions) with a sparce population of Elves and Dwarves and other "Special" races. These character types were severely limited and even a bit stereotyped in 1E and even in 'Advanced' that eventually became 2E.

It was then deemed 'Socially acceptable' to allow the full spectrum of races be more 'Equal'. I think it is great that Dwarven wizards and the like were then able to come out of the closet as it were.

Maybe I am simply old school, but I do think that Dwarves should be heartier than humans and Elves, by virtue of living a LOT longer, should be able to be better versed at magic than the short lived humans. The problem is, how do you implement that without appearing to be racist?
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Actually in PC games, I might like Dwarves best. I always liked the idea of having this architecture that doesn't exist in the real world because they build their cities inside mountains and such.
    lolien