Skip to content

Underrated Dungeons and Dragons monsters

ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
edited August 2015 in Off-Topic
Post a list of D&D beasties you consider underrated.

Here's mine:

-Undead Lake Monster(basically Nessie as a chaotic evil zombie).

-Black Cloud of Vengeance(How do you fight a cloud? an epic encounter for brontophobic players).

-Titans(They are like giants only more epic and awesome).

-Aboleths(evil ancient psychic fish).

-Purple Worm(i am the Kwizatz Haderach!)

-Doppelgangers(You can instill paranoia in the players with these).

-Gem Dragons.

-Flumphs.
Post edited by ShapiroKeatsDarkMage on
JuliusBorisovlolien[Deleted User]kcwiseSkatan

Comments

• NaveenNaveen Member Posts: 81
    -Rust Monsters. Hordes of them.
    kcwisethe_spyderButtercheese
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I even adapted the ULM and the Black Cloud for 5th edition.(Check the dandwiki).
    kcwise
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    There was an Al Quadim monster that was a turtle big as an island. I think it started with a Z… (googles) Zaratan!

Also Green Slime (It's the D&D version of the Blob!)

Phanatons (like a cross between a monkey and a flying Squirrel, from X1 The Sea of Dread.)

Black Puddings (damage it, and it splits in two! Endless Fun for the whole party!)

Shadows (They masquerade as part of you… and are only powerless in full dark!)

Meenlocks- they kidnap your character in the dark of night, spirit you away, and turn you into one of them after an orgy of terror and torture!

Throat Leeches- Invisible in water, they will hide in your waterskin until you take a drink! And the only way to kill them is heat a sharp bit of wire and use it to puncture them in your throat.

And the other body horror monster, the Rot Grub- that buries itself in your flesh, burrows to your heart and kills you!
    JuliusBorisovShapiroKeatsDarkMagelolienkcwise
    edited August 2015
    What do you think of the Leviathan? http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Leviathan(5eCreature)
    kcwise
    I falso find the Saurial underrated.
    kcwise
    edited August 2015
    I have also adapted the ''Dread Golem'' from Ravenloft for 5th edition for who wants to have a tragic Frankenstein-esque villain in his or her campaign. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dread_Flesh_Golem_(5e_Creature)
    kcwise
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    CaloNord said:

KOBOLDS! Related to dragons, cute, great at parties!

image ( I cannot find the author of this again but it's the portrait of one of my current characters. :D )

Whats not to love?!

Found the thing! n_n
    It's in fact Deekin from Neverwinter Nights it would seem lol.
    http://pkunkbwok.deviantart.com/art/OLD-Deekin-191742399
    JuliusBorisovkcwise[Deleted User]iKrivetko
    For Lovecraft fans. Mi-Go for 5th edition! http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Mi-Go_(5e_Creature)
    kcwise
    I had to the list the Doppelganger Plant from Ravenloft: when D&D meets Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
    kcwise
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I always had a affinity for the original Nilbogs. These creatures looked exactly like Goblins, only any action that you took, or intended to take suddenly got reversed. If you planned on killing them and stealing their gold, you gave them all of your money and healed them up and then happily went on your way.

I did an internet search on them just now and it looks like they have changed. Now they simply heal up when damage is taken and get hurt when healing is cast. A bit of a let down.
    [Deleted User]
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'd probably say Broken Ones. They just offer a lot of potential for explanation and history which I think is good. Plus what exactly they can look like is pretty much left up to the DM.
    elminster said:

I'd probably say Broken Ones. They just offer a lot of potential for explanation and history which I think is good. Plus what exactly they can look like is pretty much left up to the DM.

Those are in Ravenloft.
    elminster
    I also always enjoyed rust monsters. There's not thing like seeing Big hulking burly men (and women) dressed in formidable heavy armor and carrying glittering implements of death, suddenly turn tail and run like little children shrieking at the tops of their lungs "Get it away from me. Get away from me!" Ah, good times.
    [Deleted User]

I also always enjoyed rust monsters. There's not thing like seeing Big hulking burly men (and women) dressed in formidable heavy armor and carrying glittering implements of death, suddenly turn tail and run like little children shrieking at the tops of their lungs "Get it away from me. Get away from me!" Ah, good times.

I think they are in the 5th edition

I had to the list Colossal Gay Al, the most FABULOUS Allosaurus of them all.
    Vallmyr
    Its a pity that WOTC doesn't share the love for dinosaurs and the Cthulhu Mythos with Paizo.
    Vallmyr[Deleted User]
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

I like the Nishruu and other magic eaters for the same reason. Nothing like seeing the guys who has a spell or tactic for every situation be put in their place.
    Artona
    edited October 2015
    scriver said:

I like the Nishruu and other magic eaters for the same reason. Nothing like seeing the guys who has a spell or tactic for every situation be put in their place.
    As a long standing Wizard player, this isn't necessarily true. I can't tell you how many times my DM would ask me what my mage was doing and I respond 'Duck and cover', or 'Shriek like a little girl and run away'. (yeah, I play a cowardly spell caster).

As a rule, I probably contribute less than 10% of the time in any significant manner. Oh, I throw the odd spell into the mix, but mainly I am bashing things that 'Got too close' over the head with my staff, or chucking a dart in the general direction of some baddie in the hopes of putting an eye out or something.

Hey, when I DO cast a spell? It is TOTAL DOMINATION. That just doesn't happen as often as you might think. Us Wizards, we talk a good game.
    FardragonSkatan
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977

Just about anything that doesn't look blatantly humanoid is generally underrated. It's so tiring (to me) how pretty much all creatures in DnD and other fantasy settings, no matter whether they're normal sentient beings, primal forces of nature, or evil spirits from another dimension, tend to look like humans.

This, SO MUCH THIS!

Just about anything that doesn't look blatantly humanoid is generally underrated. It's so tiring (to me) how pretty much all creatures in DnD and other fantasy settings, no matter whether they're normal sentient beings, primal forces of nature, or evil spirits from another dimension, tend to look like humans.

This, SO MUCH THIS!
    This is primarily done because of the perception that the general public is more humanocentric than not. People more identify with humanoid looking talking beings "Better" than with something that is more exotic, or at least that is the prevailing theory in marketing. Even Rocket (from Guardians of the Galaxy) is very human in appearance and mannerisms for a raccoon. Hopefully someday people will break out of this mold and accept sentient beings regardless of what they look like. Until then, we have to live with this.

This, SO MUCH THIS!
    This is primarily done because of the perception that the general public is more humanocentric than not. People more identify with humanoid looking talking beings "Better" than with something that is more exotic, or at least that is the prevailing theory in marketing. Even Rocket (from Guardians of the Galaxy) is very human in appearance and mannerisms for a raccoon. Hopefully someday people will break out of this mold and accept sentient beings regardless of what they look like. Until then, we have to live with this.
    Not to mention, GOTG has the laziest alien design in history. I also hated how the Nova Corps was protrayed as a space version of the Keystone Cops. Read the Annihilation comics.

This, SO MUCH THIS!
    Not to mention, GOTG has the laziest alien design in history. I also hated how the Nova Corps was protrayed as a space version of the Keystone Cops. Read the Annihilation comics.
    LOL. I can respect your point of view regarding GOTG, even if I disagree with it. It's all good.

This, SO MUCH THIS!
    LOL. I can respect your point of view regarding GOTG, even if I disagree with it. It's all good.

This, SO MUCH THIS!
    There wasn't a single alien, outside of Groot, that looked impressive. They were just people with funny skin colors and goofy haircuts, and if having goofy hairstyles is enough to make an alien then i think most members of the national french soccer team is a suspect.
    Skatan
    edited October 2015

There wasn't a single alien, outside of Groot, that looked impressive. They were just people with funny skin colors and goofy haircuts, and if having goofy hairstyles is enough to make an alien then i think most members of the national french soccer team is a suspect.

I grew up watching the original Star Trek where Klingons and Romulans were merely humans with funny ears and eyebrows. I am also a classic Dr Who fan where everyone in the universe was human with a British accent. I liked Farscape where quite a lot of the alien life forms were basically Muppets. And I like the TV show Supernatural, where 'Dragons' are merely super strong human beings that unaccountably breath fire and demons are just smoke monsters that can turn your eyes black (or red now apparently) and don't have horns or tails or even scaly skin anymore. So I can forgive quite a lot as far as originality of alien life. My bar for "Worst" is quite high as you can see.

But I respect that not everyone sees it that way.
    edited October 2015

). And I like the TV show Supernatural, where 'Dragons' are merely super strong human beings that unaccountably breath fire y.
    @the_spyder
    Don't ever say this around me again!
    Vallmyr

This is a Dragon from Supernatural.

This is a Dragon from Supernatural.

@the_spyder
    NO, JUST NO!
    I'm quite flexible on what is and isn't a Dragon, hell koopa can be viewed as one to me; but even I have my limitations!
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage