Skip to content

Anti-overpower rules

Hi

I have a few rules that I use for my gaming in order to avoid having the game become too easy. I was wondering what rules others might have come up with in order to achieve the same goal?
Here are my rules:

* no shooting arrows at wizards
* no fighters on the team
* no wands
* maximum one ranged character using bow (slings and darts for the rest of them)
* no bracers enchanting THACO or damage.

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I don't really see what is wrong with the bracers/gauntlets. Their bonuses aren't really anything special. +5% chance to hit is basically nothing, and +2 damage isn't really that much, considering that some enemies have almost 100 health. Useful, but certainly not overpowered.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @decado Actually the game is playable on touch screens ;)
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I play touch screen versions by sense of smell, just like the Pinball Wizard.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I honestly just enjoy the game for what it is...

... what, don't look at me funny, I'm a dork! D:
  • SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    Developed a few rules to keep it fair for the poor mistreated villains as well;
    - Only Charname and Garrick in group
    - Charname can only confront enemies after Garrick is killed
    - Garrick cannot use spells, only his songs
    - I can only use the same armour as Garrick, not similiar armour, same armour, we take turns.
    - I can only use the same weapons as Garrick, not similiar weapons, same....
    I just spilled my beer, I blame Garrick, be right back....
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I usually avoid resting until I finish a dungeon, it makes use all my available tools and spells in a smart way.
  • MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    edited October 2015
    I think you are a bit harsh on yourself by limiting the use of items and npcs' fighting options, IMO this is a big part of the fun.

I would suggest:
    - mod the game with SCS to increase difficulty (many options here)
    - don't re-roll your stats [many times] at character creation (say 0-25 re-rolls)
    - random hp at level up
    - no-reload (only if you think Baldur's Gate is your game)

- Mirage -
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    I don't need to make the game harder. I'm my own worst enemy.

That said, I installed SCS recently and it has made the game harder, but also revitalized it in ways that aren't associated with difficulty. I rather like it.

A stat roll in the high 70s or low 80s is also enough for any character, and I've started avoiding stat enhancing items. That's not intended to make the game harder, though, but to play AS the character I roll. Still, as a limitation is does eliminate some options, and therefore make the game slightly more difficult as a consequence.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I once played as an elf once.

It was too hard. Went back to my power gaming and my gnome.
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    I have some "rules", but I don't ever feel that I'm restricting myself. Simply over time I changed my playstyle to what I do nowadays. I didn't try any of the mods that make the game harder:

- No overpowered stats, I roll my character with normal dice, so the result is mostly medicore attributes and that's totally fine with me. It makes the characer more memorable.
    - Rest only when fatigued, makes sense to me. Though I think that reloading the game "resets" the fatigue timer (before the icon appears).
    - Have a variety of spells memorised, usually one of each. This makes experimenting with them really fun.
    - Buying only rare items and potions of healing. I prefer to find armor and weapons, but I like having a goal to buy a really good item quite early (claw of kazgaroth, battle axe +1, etc.) and later on get the rest that can only be bought (robes of archmagi, shadow armor, composite long bow +1, etc.). It all depends on the party composition.
    - Using potions and wands, that's no restriction of course. Rather a compensation for less often rest and a wide variety of spells. These are of limited use, as opposed to sleeping more often.
    - Reload restrictions. I like to change this in each playthrough: only after Charname dies, one save per location, when party member dies, and so on.

I like to randomise some choices like the race, class, weapon proficiencies and even the party members. I still have my ongoing playthrough where I'm playing a bard for the first time and my party is: Arkanis, Jaheira, Garrick, Skie and Alora. This meant that I was without a thief before chapter 5. I tried to focus on the main plot to get there as early as possible. Getting through Bandit Camp and Cloakwood with a party around 3-4 levels was really hard and refreshing. This also made me change my "usual" route through the Sword Coast and many different strategies.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Speaks of limiting power and didn't include "No Boots of Speed" in the list. Bwahaha ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on