Skip to content

Upgrading and enchanting weapons

brusbrus Member Posts: 944
edited October 2015 in Feature Requests
Similar to Dark souls, if we find special upgrade items throughout the game, it would be great if we could upgrade the weapon stats even more and add enchanted properties.
At this point it could be done only in BG2 when you reach blacksmith in docks and Cespenar late in the game and with just particular items.
What if we could do it more frequently with all weapons and up to +10?
Special made weapons and armors would requires special upgrade materials.
The forge could be found at blacksmiths in bigger towns or in important areas.
Upgrade items should be well hidden and not easily obtained along with the risk and reward.

PS: Will this break D&D ruleset or it's within limits?
Post edited by brus on

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,722
    Adding some kind of a weapon/armour enchanter to SoD won't hurt too much, I think. As for the existing games, I think it's more a mod material.

As for weapons +10, it would hugely change the balance in the game. You know, even +5 and +6 weapons are already the most powerful near the end of ToB.

I think it's not about D&D, it's more about the game balance.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited October 2015
    bengoshi said:

Adding some kind of a weapon/armour enchanter to SoD won't hurt too much, I think. As for the existing games, I think it's more a mod material.

It would be great to have forge at blacksmiths and weapon enchanter at temple. It would add more RPG depth to the game and more reason for exploration of the world to loot every upgrade items to max out the weapons.
    But finding the upgrade item should be challenging and hard but rewarding.
    bengoshi said:

As for weapons +10, it would hugely change the balance in the game. You know, even +5 and +6 weapons are already the most powerful near the end of ToB.
    I think it's not about D&D, it's more about the game balance.

I think this could be done with scaling enemy hit points.
    For example let's say a lich has base 100 HP and we are hiting him with +5 weapon. How many HP should he have if we are hiting him with +10 weapon?

Let x represent how many HP should we add to the enemy.

5 : 10 = x : 100
    10x= 500
    x=50

The equation

5 : 10 = 100 : x
    5x= 1000
    x=200
    would give illogical interpretation how many HP should we add.

So, we add 50 HP and he will have 150HP. We could even balanced it out with the equation of enemy HP:
    base_HP + (tacho + base_weapon_dmg)*10.
    On insane or heart of fury difficulty we just multiply it with 20 or 30.

Also, it would be also good to upgrade every weapon to +6 if such upgrading possible.

Post edited by brus on