Skip to content

Is Dorn going to bring disbalance to my party?

So I my party is consisted out of all good/neutral guys: Me (chaotic good), Jaheira (true neutral), Khalid (neutral good), Coran (Chaotic Good) and Neera (Chaotic neutral); which makes party of 5, but I want 6 and the problem is that all of the characters I've meet so don't seem to be interesting (Xan,Edwin,Kivan,Eldoth,Ajantis, etc) and I just want to mention that I acidentally killed Minsc, so that Leaves me without a sixth guy, which brings me to Dorn, I've stumbled upon him in Friendly Arms and he seemed so awesome, but then the problem it seems is that he is neutral evil and I worry that he will be a problem if I add him to my party, so my question is: will the rest of my party hate me if I add him and like wise will he hate me if I don't do evil things?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    For BGEE, Dorn in your party will be absolutely fine, there will be no conflicts with your other party members.

To make him happy, don't let your reputation get to 19 or above. He'll stay if you keep an eye on it.
  • LegaLega Member Posts: 3
    Oh cool :) thanks
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Also note that he will lower your reputation by 2 points just by joining your group.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    I know Yeslick, who is incredibly valuable and frankly a touch too powerful for my team, will leave if you recruit Dorn but I haven't seen anyone else have a serious problem with him
  • Rpg_AvatarRpg_Avatar Member Posts: 38
    edited October 2015
    GoodSteve said:

Also note that he will lower your reputation by 2 points just by joining your group.

Which can actually be used to keep him happy. You can keep adding and removing him from the party whenever you need to take a few points of reputation "damage" to keep him from leaving.

Unlike in BGII:EE, it does not overly affect your relationship with others if your adding removing them all the time (unless they are characters like "Old School"[non-EE] Kivan who would never rejoin your party if you removed him from the group).

Note : I use to have to reload all the time with Viconia since I didn't want to lose my 'relationship' statis with her, but I had so much good juju that she would either leave the party in the middle of something or Keldorn would lose it on her with Casomyr... I honestly wish there was a way to get her to neutral way before the expansion (and much earlier in said expansion) or at the very least an item to turn her 'neutral' until you could change her alignment.

This is one of the few things I really wish Overhaul had retconned or "fixed" in BG:II-EE
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    edited October 2015

GoodSteve said:

Which can actually be used to keep him happy. You can keep adding and removing him from the party whenever you need to take a few points of reputation "damage" to keep him from leaving.

Unlike in BGII:EE, it does not overly affect your relationship with others if your adding removing them all the time (unless they are characters like "Old School"[non-EE] Kivan who would never rejoin your party if you removed him from the group).

Note : I use to have to reload all the time with Viconia since I didn't want to lose my 'relationship' statis with her, but I had so much good juju that she would either leave the party in the middle of something or Keldorn would lose it on her with Casomyr... I honestly wish there was a way to get her to neutral way before the expansion (and much earlier in said expansion) or at the very least an item to turn her 'neutral' until you could change her alignment.

This is one of the few things I really wish Overhaul had retconned or "fixed" in BG:II-EE
    You gain the reputation back if you have Dorn leave your party and he waits at the Friendly Arm.

From what I know Ajantis and Shar-Teel are the two NPCs who will not get along with Dorn and will fight him. Though Ajantis doesn't seem as interesting in the base game, with the NPC Project he has some interesting dialogue. His stats are also pretty good, for parties of good alignment either he or Yeslick are good additions and prime candidates for gauntlets that raise their Dexterity. If I were you though I'd get rid of Khalid, his whining and poor morale is even worse than Xan's so send him into his death. I haven't gotten around to BG2 yet but I know Khalid doesn't show up like Jaheira does there, so we can assume he gets killed anyway.
  • LegaLega Member Posts: 3
    So get rid of Khalid? how? just kill him? and get yelsick insted?

I want to get Dorn, his seems so badass and I like it :) also I want someone to rock that spider bane +2!
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I'm not a huge fan of getting advice I'm not asking for when/if I create a thread of my own, but nonetheless, I just want to say that Kivan is actually a great character and would suit your team (depending though on your charname class and equipment choices).

it's not difficult to balance the reputation to keep it at a reasonable level for Dorn to stay. He has a pretty good personal questline as well, but make sure you talk to him before going to the mines or else you might encounter the same bug as I did where he becomes unrecruitable if you meet up with some people from his past before talking to him in FAI.

Also, NPC's who get into fights can often be circumvented by saving/reloading when you see the fight bantering starting. I've done it with Dorn/Shar'teel and it seem to work most of the times. The banter starting the fights starts but if you save/reload from right before or at least before they cross swords, the end up as if the the fight is over and they never speak again since they are stuck at the end of their convo tree without a fight actually happening.
  • I don't know if this comes to a head later or what, but in my current playthrough Dorn and Shar-teel fought, but concluded their duel and rejoined the party without anyone dying. Shar-teel gloated her victory over Dorn and we moved on.