Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

[SCS] How to beat Kahrk

This guy got buffed immensely with SCS.
His spellbook is filled with lots of deadly magic and even in melee he's on par with my best warriors.

I can beat him, sure. But it it always takes a bit of luck, cheese and reloading.

How do you deal with him (mid level party tactics prefered)

The guy in question:
http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Kahrk

lolien

Comments

• YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 476
    edited October 2015

- Boring cheap way - kill him with an Arrow of Slaying.

The arrow must connect though - only having 1 arrow and Imy chance to hit makes it a great gamble. Far from reliable. But I'll keep it in mind for my next encounter

lolien
  • Artemius_IArtemius_I Member Posts: 2,631
    One more way of tanking him that I haven't tried but should work: have your mage stack as much magic resistance as possible: drink a potion of magic protection (50%), cloak of Balduran (25%), robe of archmagi (5%), Eilistraee's Boon (10% - might be from a mod) then cast the level 3 spell Wraith Form - makes you immune to normal weapons for 2 rounds/level but prevents you from casting spells. Kahrk wields a normal katana so this setup means he (almost) can't touch you at all.

YamchaAerakarbooinyoureyes
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 716
    edited October 2015
    Really annoying fight; completely unfair given the spells available in BG1. Unending supply of Stoneskins and Mirror Images; Immunity to Magic Weapons and item Haste and Globe of Invulnerability. Any Breach? No? Get wrecked...

Eventually just set traps on spawn location. Hopefully not a no reload game; the L key is worn out.

booinyoureyes
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 3,885
    protection from magic scroll can be bought from the high hedge mage, and in fact, there is a random cleric on that map ( Benton I believe his name to be) can be pick pocketed for a protection from magic scroll, almost as if they knew you might have needed it :)

AbelAerakarJuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 629
    What I find challenging though with Kahrk is not his spells against you (i.e. the PfM scroll), but instead his speed and stoneskins. He is brutal as a fighter and chops up tanks painfully fast without tactics and lots of preparation and kiting.

Hudzy
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    Traps! Fill every lvl with traps and kite him through. It takes a bit of preparation though

Aerakar
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 3,228
    Just soloed him with my Fighter/Thief.

1) Traps in my way back. Just in case.

2) Oil of Speed + Potion of Invisibility

3) Potion of Clarity. You know, just in case.

4) Detect Illusion + Arrow of Dispelling + Arrow of Slaying.

Proceed with loot.

JuliusBorisovAerakar
    Good job using the arrows.

Question, does the arrow of slaying auto hit and give a saving throw? A 2nd question, do dispelling arrows auto-hit?

edited February 2016
    Aerakar said:

Question, does the arrow of slaying auto hit and give a saving throw? A 2nd question, do dispelling arrows auto-hit?

Both required a hit roll. But the slaying is instantly (no save throw) also is the dispelling.

And by the way, made a test: you don't need to dispel his protections. If your hit roll with the AoS is a hit the ogre mage will drop dead.

Edit: Thinking better about your question, IDK if AoS is auto-hit. There was a hit roll, but the game may be tricked my Thac0 bonus to assure a hit. The AoD, in other hand, can miss. In the test I've mentioned the shot with the AoD was a miss and with the AoS was a hit.

JuliusBorisov
  • craymond727craymond727 Member Posts: 196
    Aerakar said:

If I remember correctly, it's a de-factor guaranteed hit. I think it's actually implemented as a massive THACO bonus.

Type: Use EFF file (177)
    Target: Self (1)
    Power: 0
    IDS target: EA.IDS - 2 / ANYONE - 0
    Timing mode: Instant/While equipped (2)
    Dispel/Resistance: No dispel/bypass resistance (0)
    Duration: 0
    Probability 1: 100
    Probability 2: 0
    Resource: CDOMGHIT.EFF
    # dice thrown/maximum level: 0
    Dice size/minimum level: 0
    Save type: ( No save )
    Save bonus: 0
    Unknown: 00 00 00 00 h
    ----

No thac0 bonus, do those bold lines implicate armor bypass too?

The arrow made that fight really easy this time around :smile:

JuliusBorisovAerakarbooinyoureyes
    I used the arrow in a recent run for the first time, after I had already pre-buffed, laid traps, summoned skeleton warriors as a blocking force, and pre-positioned party members. The arrow worked like a charm and he dropped immediately, so the other efforts were not needed at all.

He is cake with that arrow, very difficult without it with SCS.

JuliusBorisovYamcha
  • MalinorMalinor Member Posts: 4
    Basically you need two mages and one or two clerics. For example Xan and Quayle. Buff yourself beforehand (Stoneskin, Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Mirror Images, and Greenstone Amulet). Quayle and possible another cleric summon several skeletons, which attack Kahrk. At the same time Xan moves near Kahrk and casts Detect Illusions (it will remove Mirror Images). Quayle casts Invisibility Purge (3rd level cleric spell) to remove Improved Invisibility. Kahrk will cast another mirror images => Xan casts another Detect Illusions and Quayle casts Spellthrust to remove Minor Globe of Invulnerability.

Next you can use Agannazar's scorchers (wand) to kill Kahrk.
    This will become even more easier if you have a thief, who can detect illusions to remove Improved Invisiblity and mirrors. And generally many other SCS fights also.

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,571
    Kahrk is just about the only guy I don't fight in a no reload run. It really pains me to waste a protection from magic scroll for no decent loot.

edited March 9
    Malinor said:

This will become even more easier if you have a thief, who can detect illusions to remove Improved Invisiblity and mirrors. And generally many other SCS fights also.

I made a run using a Thief -> Wizard Slayer and that is absolutely true.

1) Made him appear and...

2) Tiax sent his ghast as a folder cannon to keep Kahrk busy until Charname's...

3) Detect Illusion kicks in -> His Mirror Image was gone and Charname was able to land an...

4) Arrow of Dispelling -> Applied the WS miscast magic and exposing him completely so the rest of the party kept...

5) Hitting him with the point/sharp/blunt end of whatever they were using until he stops moving.

By the way: i) if you're playing a WS and are not carrying AoD, you're playing it wrong; ii) Thief -> WS is way more powerful than I ever imagined, especially due to the fact that I maximized Detect Illusion before dualing (actually, that was the only skill I invested).

StummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 9,777
    Try using those arrows with SR installed, when his "Protection ftom Normal Missiles" is changed to "Protection from All Missiles..."

Mantis37
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 641
    @Raduziel If you are hitting people with "the" blunt end of whatever you are holding, your fingers are in the wrong place.

Raduziel

@Raduziel If you are hitting people with "the" blunt end of whatever you are holding, your fingers are in the wrong place.

I mean that because of the type of damage, but apparently I committed a mistake.