Skip to content

[Req/Question] Any way to have damage-numbers float above enemies?

aweigh0101aweigh0101 Member Posts: 3
I've grown too used to that type of feedback from more modern games and would love to roll through my current BG:EE playthrough with floating numbers above enemy heads when I strike them, and vice-versa.

Has no one really ever wanted or worked on this sort of thing in the 20 years since the BG's came out? I find it rather surprising.

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    I'll defer to the knowledge of a more experienced scripter but I suspect that this is one of those "theoretically possible but way too complicated" things. There is a scripting action that has the active creature display a string over their head, but I don't think that the string can be passed symbolically so you would need to have a massive set of mutually exclusive checks that said "if damage = i, then display strref(i)" and you would need that for any possible damage number.

To have it universally applied means you would have to append it to every creature's script, which would cause massive amounts of slow down in game because the game isn't expecting to have to handle 100 odd conditional operations per active creature per 0.6 second steps.

To more experienced scripters, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  • aweigh0101aweigh0101 Member Posts: 3
    thank you manf or taking the time to readmy post and reply with such a good answer man! i appreciate it greatly.

i'm much further along now playing bg1, and am loving it. i've gotten used to the combat and while i'd still love such thing as floating dmg numbers i no longer need it. i found out in options disable all of the feed back except for to-hit rolls GREATLY enhances combat communication and am now thoroughly enjoying it.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    When SoD is released, there will be (toggleable) floating health bars.