Skip to content

Any chance you are fixing the off-hand equipment slot?

Well, now that interface improvements are made (woho!), any chance of fixing the off-hand equipment slot so you can put a weapon or shield in it even while you have a two handed weapon in the primary slot (even if you then of course should not benefit from the off-hand slot.). So you can for example switch between bow and sword+shield on a fighter using the quick slots and not going into the inventory and moving things around. This would be a very welcome improvement (as would more quick selection slots).
HudzyBorrroAbelrorikonMarkosSkatanAerakar

Comments

• BorrroBorrro Member Posts: 3
    Yes, this would be a nice addition indeed (and perhaps these barbarians in my group would stop complaining).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2015

(videos time should be pegged at the answer)
    PalpyAbelJustLeftJuliusBorisov
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Note that it's not a guarantee that they'll enable weapon-set-switching. There's a clear statement of intent, but also a clear implication that this is a rather difficult change which they hadn't yet (at the time of announcement) succeeded in implementing. For all we know, It's possible that they still can't make it work satisfactorily ... unless someone on the staff would care to give us a progress update on this point, perhaps?
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    @Gallowglass The answer seems assured enough. I think we'll see this feature at release.
    rorikonJuliusBorisov
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I would really love to have this implemented, but the 2 seconds it takes to item swap is a but a slight nuisance.
    Gallowglassbob_veng
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited November 2015
    i think it will mostly be good for the archer because rangers have those two pips in two weapon style and i never want to dual wield with the archer because even though it really is just two seconds, it's still a hassle; i'll more gladly pick up a two-hander or a halberd
    but in reality dual wielding is the stronger option and good against some undead (crushing damage), enemies resistant to ranged attacks...
    AbelSkatanSpjuv3rn
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Hopefully, they can manage to implement this by, rather than preventing a two hander (including bow/xbow) being equipped while an offhand weapon or shield is equipped, to simply ignore the offhand slot while a two hander is equipped.

Say you have a longsword in weapon slot 1, a halberd in weapon slot 2, a sling in weapon slot 3 and a longbow in weapon slot 4 (fighters had 4 weapon slots, right?), while there's a shield in the offhand slot. When selecting the longsword or the sling, the shield would be enabled, and when selecting the halberd of longbow, the shield would be disabled.

That sounds like the most convenient solution to me. Still doesn't allow swapping between dualwielding and sword and board, but you can't have everything.
    HudzyAbelrorikonbob_veng
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Abel
  • ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    Didn't they kinda have this thing in IWD2? Four different weapon set slots. For example in slot you have long sword and shield, in two you have halberd, in three you have crossbow etc.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Zanso - it's been a long time since I played that ... but IWD2 was a different engine, was it not?
    Abel
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @Gallowglass: Still IE, but a heavily modified version based on 3E rules.
    cmk24
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Zanso said:

Didn't they kinda have this thing in IWD2? Four different weapon set slots. For example in slot you have long sword and shield, in two you have halberd, in three you have crossbow etc.

They did, but I personally found it more of a hassle than what BG had since they used weapon sets instead of slots. So you would have one set with a sword and shield. Then the second set would be a sling and a different shield.

If you were a sword and boarder and had niche weapons (extra bonus vs certain enemy for example), you would still be having to juggle them with the best shield.

If beamdog could just have an off-hand swap like they do for the main hand swap that would be ideal. 3 slots for warriors, 2 for Rogues and priests and one for wizards would simplify things greatly.