Skip to content

How old is Anomen?

IsabellaGrangerIsabellaGranger Member Posts: 52
I've been wondering that for a while these days... It all began when I read in the wiki, that to become a full-fledged knight of the Order of The Radiant Heart, you need to be at least 40 years old; that information gave me goosebumps, seriously. Given that... the main female character is around 20 years old, and I've always thought Anomen was around 24-26 years old at most, making him fairly young and also, comprehensively arrogant and all of that. I've always thought that his attitude was more or less justified because of his backstory, and the childhood he had (and the fact that he was still pretty young, given that most characters tend to treat him as a young, inexperienced guy, calling him ''boy'' often); he even states he has little experience with women, which makes sense if he's in his mid-twenties and worked half of his life for the Order, restraining himself from a lot of stuff. This makes him a likeable character; being fairly young, only a few years older than CHARNAME, his attitude is comprehensible. But if he's 40 years old... This changes everything. This changes all of my perspective, in about every little thing about him. If he's 40 years old and behaves like that... it's no longer comprehensible, it's pathetic. If he's 40 years old and has that little experience in life, he automatically becomes an extremely, extremely but in heavenly proportions, immature dude. And to think a guy his age would be interested in a woman who's in her early twenties (or the equivalent to that in another race), being that way, behaving like that, makes the whole thing really, really creepy. Why would a girl want to romance a guy his age, even more considering his attitude? It all... makes me think about him in a totally different light, really. He doesn't look at all like he's 40 years old, nor his attitude seems to fit that, but then, why is he able to become a knight of the Order? He's still a squire, and a part of the Radiant Heart Auxiliary, but that test of his, is to become a ''full-fledged'' knight, or... whatever? I no longer understand this, he becomes ''Sir Anomen'' but mentions that he's Sir Ryan Trawl's companion, and serves under his mandatory still, but at the same time, he says that he will be able to have an squire or two and... My God. My ranger is romancing a guy who doubles her age, someone she has put up with his attitude because she thought it was understandable for a guy who was still in his mid twenties at most, someone who wants to sleep with her and... ... ... I'm having a crisis here.
Still, in the official Age Table for the different races, they put this:
Race - Full Age - Middle Age - Old - Venerable
Human: 15 - 35 - 53 - 70 - +2d20.
They never, ever direct to Anomen as if he's even middle age. Korgan, Keldorn, Mazzy, even Yoshimo if I'm not mistaken, treat him as if he was a pretty young man, inexperienced, even calling him ''boy'' as I mentioned, and his father is still alive, and doesn't seem to be even close to venerable, rather old instead, otherwise, he wouldn't be able to try to kill him, and come on, to think a father would treat Anomen that way if he's nearly 40 years old is just... pathetic. He has a young sister too, whose age is never mentioned, but the way he makes it sound, she would be just about full age, I think. Keldorn is a full-fledged knight of the Order, a veteran, and he seems to be around 50 years old. Anomen can never be around 40, I'm sure, but still, the whole thing doesn't make any sense! I can take him being up until 28 at most, but never 30 or 40... it doesn't make sense to romance him, his attitude doesn't make sense, the way other characters treat him doesn't make sense, but he can still become a knight... and supposedly, they ''aged'' his portrait, because he looked ''younger'' before... only that that's not true, like, at all.

Sorry for the block of text, really, but I'm very confused and... shocked about this thing. What do you think?
Post edited by IsabellaGranger on

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Yes, the Knights of the Radiant Heart are supposed in lore to be 40+, but the original devs at Bioware clearly forgot (or just ignored) that detail when they designed Anomen.

It's clear from his story that he has a few years' experience, but not many years. Mid to late 20s seems to me to fit.

On the other hand, the devs at both Bioware and Beamdog have often clearly ignored the story when they issued the official choices of portraits for the protagonist, some of which are clearly much older than 20. Furthermore, the story itself doesn't really allow for the range of playable races which the rules permit - a human at 20 may be a young adult setting out on his/her own life, but (for example) an elf at 20 is still a kid and won't be an adult until 100 or so.

All in all, it's best to ignore age considerations in BG, so many inconsistencies have crept in that it's FUBAR.
  • IsabellaGrangerIsabellaGranger Member Posts: 52
    Well, you do have a point there. I did know the devs normally take some liberties in the game with what's canon, as to make some stuff fit in the story, as there are more than one examples of that... It does make me relieved to see that there's actually people who do not think he's that old, regardless of what's canon, and the fact that he looks fairly young and acts as such. I was seriously having a crisis, mostly given that I was doing his romance and well, you get the picture. I guess it's just as Gallowglass pointed out. Even if the official D&D guides specifically say that to become a knight one must be at least 40 years old, and you only get the honorific title before your name once you entered as a full member of the order (aka, being a full-fledged knight), maybe it's best to ignore those inconsistencies in order to enjoy the game, otherwise, yes, we'd have to release an entire book of that xD Ok, I thank you for clearing my doubts, it does actually make me feel better, as there's some people who actually think he's that old, regardless of what the game shows. .-.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    You're welcome, and I'm glad you feel better.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm sure they'd waive the age requirement for especially righteous and exemplary people like Anomen.

I'm sure they'd waive the age requirement for especially righteous and exemplary people like Anomen.

Exemplary? That phrase could be easily used as pure sarcasm xD Hm, but I don't know. Maybe, he mentions he feels ''privileged'', as no other knight had the amount of rewards he received when becoming Sir Anomen. He did enter without the sponsorship of his father, he had no money, not even a sword, as he says, and a knight took pity on him because his mother asked them to consider him joining. He did enter unconventionally. Maybe they did waive the age requirement for him, because of his services, but I hardly think it's that way; I rather think the devs merely chose to override the age, or ignore it... maybe they just forgot and wanted to make a character with the desire to become one and that's it, regardless of what's imposed by the D&D guides. Liberty's everywhere in Baldur's Gate, after all...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @IsabellaGranger: Sarcasm, yes.

@IsabellaGranger: Sarcasm, yes.

I knew it! xD Still, it could be :tongue:

I feel like Anomen's young age in the knighthood is a lot like most things in D&D... :)

Most likely, I guess it's time to relax and ignore some stuff xD
    Grum said:

They waive the requirement for charname if he is a paladin. Taking in a 20-ish paladin into their ranks.

Anomen is also of an unusually high level and is a nobleman, two things that would make any organization want him as a member.

"So what has this squire been up to this week?"

"Well, he and five of his friends destroyed a beholder colony, killed a red dragon, destroyed the slavery ring in the city, wiped out a shadow thieves guild, and it looks like he has been their front line warrior against a coven of vampires."

"..."

"Sir? How many points does this award?"

"Make him a knight, now."

"But sir, he is only twenty-"

"You fool! If we don't get him then the Knights of the Purple Pantaloons surely will! Hmm...his friends, are any of them Paladins by any chance?"

"Indeed sir."

"Good. Give me a day to come up with some 'tests' for him. Ha! Keldorn is getting old you know. This is exactly what we need to show the city how relevant o ur organization is. Write this down, will you? We should also make a statue for Keldorn. Squeeze what blood we can get out of that rock."

---

Why let someone like that go?

HAHAHA! Sounds fitting! xD Made my day, sir (?) xDD But, yeah, fairly well made point there, I take it xD All said, I request license to take that dialogue of yours. I'll save it. So genius xD
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Issa, you flatter. And I'd be careful about that, as my head is big enough as it is.
    Grum said:

Issa, you flatter. And I'd be careful about that, as my head is big enough as it is.

Well! Regardless of that... I saved it anyways (?) xD
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited November 2015

I am 100% certain that what Grum said is canon now.

It should be.

The O of the RH are downright dodgy with the way they treat their youngsters.
    Why oh why does any squire hoping to become a Knight have to hang around a sleazy joint like the Copper Coronet to get work?
    You know, the place with the very obvious slaving operation going on?
    In the slums?

What's the betting that 90% of jobs on offer would be suspect/criminal?
    Yet the RH appears to be OK with this???

And it's not the first time we've met young men hanging around hoping for jobs, Ajantis BG.

They must lose hundreds of potential knights judging by the way they seem to treat them. That Anomen came up trumps must be a rare occurance.

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

"All right, Squire, it's time for your next assignment. You've been working for us for half of your life and we think you're ready for advancement.

First, you're going to spend the next two years in the most popular brothel in town. If you touch any of the girls, you'll be permanently banned from the Radiant Heart. Here's a Ring of Human Influence to hotten up your looks, and 500 gold to pay for anything you might want. Anything."

*Twelve months later*

"We've been keeping a close eye on you and you haven't committed a single sin. Congratulations! Wow, you look like a mess. Now all you have to do is get through the next twelve months with your five new succubus roommates."

Oh, that is just mean.

No wonder why Anomen hates women. :tongue:
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited November 2015
    Anomen doesn't hate women.

Sleezy yes, misogynist definitely.
    But mainly chronic insecurity....................... and BTW that's my boyfriend you're talking about (lol).
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

Anomen doesn't hate women.

Sleezy yes, misogynist definitely.
    But mainly chronic insecurity....................... and BTW that's my boyfriend you're talking about (lol).

:/

Misogony: A hatred of women.
  • I'd describe Anomen as a chauvinist more than misogynist. On the other hand, I'd also describe him as a racist given his attitudes towards Gnomes and Halflings (to say nothing of the way he fetishizes Viconia).

In summary, Anomen is a land of (regrettable) contrasts.
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    Anomen is that annoying rich "bro" you knew in college that wouldn't shut up about the fraternity he was trying to join.
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited December 2015
    Someone hasn't been reading the Forgotten Realms Wiki.

To become a member of the senior branch of the Radiant Heart, you'd have to be either 40 years old or at least be held in high regard. Apparently Anomen is in his early or mid 20's, which means he is a member of the Radiant Heart Auxiliary, the junior branch, and because his father didn't sponsor him to become a knight, Anomen isn't held in high regard to be a member of the senior branch despite his young age, which means he has to prove himself in the junior branch to become a member in the senior branch like Ajantis had done. Is that so hard to understand?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @BladeDancer - It's pretty ironic that your contribution brings nothing to the table that wasn't already covered in the opening post. Maybe you should work on your own reading skills instead.
  • TheWhitefireTheWhitefire Member Posts: 119

Anomen is that annoying rich "bro" you knew in college that wouldn't shut up about the fraternity he was trying to join.

I can't even explain how totally right this is. That is exactly what he's like. In my pally playthrough, I brought him along. That's so far the only playthrough where I haven't attempted to romance anyone--because I was playing a female paladin, and my choices for romances at that point are Anomen. And that's all, because I can't exactly romance Dorn or Hexxat with a paladin, can I?