Skip to content

What alt portraits do you use for NPCs?

SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
I've always loved the style of the original BG1 NPC portraits - they're far and away my favorite of any RPG, including the other IE games. However, I won't pretend that they're entirely perfect, either. So for me, the ideal NPC portrait replacement is one that stays fundamentally true to the original, but makes a few tweaks/"upgrades."

For example, I don't like that a number of the original portraits are cluttered with sparkle/glow effects that obscure the character itself. So I use this alt portrait for Kagain, which removes those effects so that you can clearly see his face and helmet (the latter of which looks quite nice).

In the same vein, I also use this "cleaned up" portrait for Khalid.

I love this portrait of Kivan, which gives his face a more chiseled, "tough guy" look, more befitting his "Dirty Harry"-esque persona and voice set, with a look of determination/vengeance in his eyes.

This is what Viconia was always meant to look like IMO - her skin tone is more appropriate for a drow than in either of her original BG portraits, and a red gleam in her eyes hints at her evil essence. I love the shimmering armor style too, which reminds you that she is indeed a cleric (unlike her BG2 portrait, which makes her look like a hooded mage).

I've always gotten the impression that Branwen was intended to be attractive - i.e.: the carnival master describes her as a "warrior maiden," and both Coran and Ajantis will openly marvel at her beauty - but her original portrait is rather plain IMO. This portrait is closer to how the game portrays her IMO.

This portrait of Safana trims away the folds of flesh under her chin to give a (more appropriately IMO) younger, leaner look.

In some cases, a bit more "overhauling" is required for portraits that, regardless of their inherent quality, just don't suit the character. This was never more apparent in the case of Coran, whose original portrait portrays him as an ancestor of the Joker rather than a debonair elf. This portrait is much closer to how he's portrayed in the game IMO.

Although I do love Imoen's portrait, like many people, I also agree that it looks too old/mature for her character. This is an ideal alt portrait for me, which gives her a younger, leaner look, while still retaining her distinctive cheekbones and smirk.

I use this portrait for Faldorn, which is better suited to her quiet, enigmatic demeanor than the snarling original IMO.

In one of the rare instances in which I've replaced an NPC's portrait with something entirely different, I use this portrait for Neera. I feel that the short, "punky" hairstyle better captures her spunky personality, and the scar on her face is suggestive of the many travels and hardships that she's had to endure before meeting you (or perhaps, a mishap caused by one of her wild surges).

Thoughts? What are some examples of alt portraits that you folks use?

Post edited by SharGuidesMyHand on

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I use Isandir's Imoen portrait.
    http://isandir.com/imoen/

I also like his Alora, but I haven't taken her in a party yet.
    http://isandir.com/alora/

I'm using his Dorn BGII portrait as my charname.
    http://isandir.com/dorn-il-khan/
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    BillyYank said:

I'm using his Dorn BGII portrait as my charname.
    http://isandir.com/dorn-il-khan/

Speaking of Dorn, this is the portrait that I use for him - no major changes, but it gives a closer-up view of his face, and the purple glow highlights his features better.
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    edited November 2015
    Badass Keldorn (Daniel Craig):

When I'm not using it for my cleric PC (any variation bar mage or thief multi) I use this on Anomen:

I don't know why they happen to be blonde, don't read too much into it.
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    I have recently started playing a D&D campaign with a group of new players. In my experience, first time players have difficulties recalling who gave them the mission or who said what because they cannot associate what I tell them as DM when I play a character to a specific face - they always see my ulgy face after all. So to make it easier to them, I scoured the net for portraits I could use for the game. My campaign is based in and around Beregost, therefore I introduced them to the likes of Kagain (which gave them their first mission) using a modified portrait from BG. Also, they met other people, some of which you might recognize:

First new NPC: Sienna is a Paladin of Torm and right arm to Kelddath. She will play a big role in an adventure I have in mind for this group in the upcoming months. Second portrait is Kelddath Ormlyr, I'm sure all of you are familiar with him. The face is that of the actor Jim Caviezel (Person of Interest, The Passion of Christ, Excape plan). I liked the idea of the shoulder piece over a simple yellow tunic to show he's a man of peace, but he's not a weakling: if things get though, he's a still high level cleric after all.

Second new NPC: Larin, daughter of Thalantyr. She's a half-elf fighter/mage (more fighter than mage actually). I don't have any big plans in my campaign for her so far, she mostly served as an excuse to introduce the group to her father. Next, Thalantyr. I tried long and hard to find a picture that did not resemble Gandalf, but I still ended up with Sir Ian.

Edwin is the first portrait. In my Beregost, he holds a Thay enclave inside the city. I am planning to play him like the Edwin of the games, with his ambition driven by greed and wealth more than by knowledge. He realized that it's easier and less dangerous to please your superiors by running the most successful Thay enclave this side of the Thunder Peaks. Next we have Lady K. A former sex slave, she fought her way in life with strength and cunning. Unbeknown to most, she is a spymaster, that uses her dining hall/gambling joint (the Jovial Juggler) to collect information and sell them to the highest bidder. She doesn't deal with assassinations, but sometimes... accidents can happen to anyone. Her alignment is CN. She doesn't count Kelddath as her ally, but they have some sort of understanding. Kelddath believes shady business cannot be completely eradicated, so better the evil you know than the one you don't. Sienna knows nothing about this, otherwise she would likely flip big time.

I also though to introduce the group to some of their "colleagues" that are currently dealing with other "stuff" along the Sword Coast. I don't know if this will happen, but I have their portraits ready just in case.

Jaheira-Khalid-Imoen.

Minsc-Dynaheir-Viconia.

All credits goes to these awesome threads:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/2231/alternate-npc-portraits-gender-bending-and-underdark-morph
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/5339/alternate-npc-and-pc-portraits-just-because-p
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited November 2015
    Kilivitz said:

@Meyahi I made the Daniel Craig one a long time ago! Glad to see someone's using it.

I usually don't go for edits of the original portraits. After looking at them for so long, everytime somebody gets a facelift or a straightened hair it just looks... wrong. Like the face and the other elements don't belong together - can anybody relate to that? (I can, however, appreciate more conservative edits - color tweaking and such)

On a different note: I have a personal beef with "beautified" versions of characters. I'm annoyed by the notion that everybody has to look like a sex symbol. People complain about Coran being a ladiesman with a high CHA who's super ugly and I think that's exactly what makes him intriguing. He's like a sword & sorcery version of Serge Gainsbourg.

I agree to all of this (with exception of Vic who's pic I consider to be just plain incorrect, but usually am too lazy to change anyways. I rarely use her though, so it matters little).

Btw, @Kilivitz´; if you made that Craig version you got some mad skillz, man! Do you have more pics like that? I would love to have them (I'm rather lazy and have DL'd two pic packs only so far though).
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited November 2015
    @Skatan thanks. I do have some more but in the interest of not derailing this thread with the images, I've posted them here for you and anyone else who might be interested:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/689861/#Comment_689861
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited November 2015
    Also: I've made this alternate Imoen a long time ago over Karwal's version of a Milla Jovovich portrait. I don't have the original anymore but basically, all I've done was to edit the colors and add her necklace from the original portrait. This was a couple of years ago and nowadays I'm not exactly proud of it, but anyway:

Zip attached.