Skip to content

PS:T - "What can change the nature of a man?"

SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
edited December 2015 in Off-Topic
Whoa! (as sage Keanu would say)
Pretty intense topic one might suggest and essentially a person might ask three questions when considering a response;
1. Do I have preconceived notion?
2. Did I discern anything from PS:T that determined my response?
3. Are there chocolates awarded for right answers? ( electric current applied to genitals for wrong answers?)

PS:T opened a query very early in the game that quite admirably, was not a query that could be answered rightly or wrongly but was utilized to progress the story and determine through interaction of the players, if there actually was an answer.
I suggest there was and it was quite simple, see later what I consider what that was.

Why later?

Well because I first want you to consider what PS:T asked of you;
- It asked that you accept that your character could not die. Hurt sure, suffer loss sure, impact of conscience sure but not the relief (or release) of death.
- It also asked that you personally, resolve this issue. In essence, find a way to die. (Wait, WTF?) Well yes, perhaps immortality is not all Penthouse Pets, Tequila and BMWs on the autobahn 24/7.
-finally, it asked that you utilize a finite group of individuals that in their own way, suffered measures of torment and through inter-relationship, they were able to conclude their own unanswered resolutions.
- and collect cool stuff, "whoa, dirty rat charm, that's like a thing?"

Perhaps there is also value in looking at who we needed to resolve issues with;

1. Mebbeth; Taught me patience, introspection, the ability to see great utilization from consequence and why I wanted to do, what I wanted to do (self determination per se).
2. Dak'kon; Taught me the results of DIRE consequence and the impotency of subservience. With that said, personal resolve that provided focus without self attainment proved a real bummer. I hated this but understood it.
3. Porphiron: this is a gimme, pacifist killer, been there, seen that but for young impressionable players, a key element.
4. Ignus; Consequence, simple, cut, dried. I am what you made of me. A scary place, to be sure and one that I am unable to de-construct. I will live with this and perhaps pay toll.
5. Nordom; he was always me. Right from day one. The only difference, I utilized emotion, he used logic. Same consequence, same resolution. Same pathology....
6. Fell; He held a mirror of the past and I determined what I saw. No judgement, no condolence, no resolve, just simple gain. Not so simple in attachments of course but I moved past that, inconsequential? Perhaps not, I payed a price in that I had only 3 selections available for permanent status. Did I choose wisely?
7. Silent Mary; Mary elects to teach me how to communicate. Oh? with anyone specifically? Yes, the world in which I find myself. How so? because she asks me to LISTEN. Probably one of the greatest gifts the game has ever given a player, the incentive to realize that others have something to say.
8. CoxMetal; Determined resolve. Timeless and concrete. Taught me not to trust my own judgement without analysis and evidence. Could I trust him? of course not, he was chaos personified but he at least did not judge me.
9. Trias; Was a Liar. He taught me how to recognize a liar. He reconfirmed my intent to never trust a liar. Salavation and forgiveness are not mine to give, perhaps recommend but not to give.
10. Ravel; A book should be written. Should I tell you of the time she looked at me and said "I know you" when I did not know myself? I learned this of her but more importantly, of me.

So, what can change the nature of a man?

This game.

M2c
Post edited by Sharguild on

Comments

• TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    Actually The Nameless One gives probably the closest "ultimate" answer to this question in the dialogue with The Transcendent One. It goes something along the lines of:

Everything that a person truly believes to change his, or her nature, can do so. This game and the Planescape multiverse is built around belief. The possibilities seem limitless. So, everything and nothing can change the nature of a man. Many are not even fully aware that something has, or hasn't changed their nature.

It's more about getting to know what has changed a particular person, rather than finding the ultimate answer. This game is truly inspirational and so far the only one to touch a person on such level. I'm hoping that Torment: Tides of Numenera will deliver in that aspect.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited December 2015
    I get the impression from the game that nothing can change the nature of a man. No answer is wrong, but I feel that 'nothing' makes the ending more bitter sweet and memorable.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    @Tuth Were you thinking of this line?

If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. I’ve seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    :cookie:s and ferrets!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    BG2.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited December 2015
    That is , indeed, quite a phylosophical question . I believe that my nature is unchangeable, but I can only know what my nature is by developing a strong sense of identity . No church, or group, or person or event can give me the answer to something that is within me.
    Also, I would not consider anyone who uses the excuse of "it's my nature" to cause harm to others.

"I'm a man, so it is in my nature to dominate women"
    "It is natural for men to be heterosexual"
    "It is in my nature to subjulgate all the other creatures on Earth. I can kill , slave and torture because the human species have the natural right to it, and are on top of the food chain"

That is not nature, that is abusive thought. One's nature , if such thing exists, moves toward balance and unity, because we are all somehow connected.

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Experience points.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Genetic engineering techniques.

...what? Never seen biopunk in its full glory?