Skip to content

Tactics mod - BG2EE compatibility - conversion and beta test

Comments

• ZoGarthZoGarth Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2015
    I know Musigny is awesome to re-work this mod, my son and I played this when BG2 came out all those years ago, now he's 28. I wonder if this can be installed after SCS, since before I ran across tactics I had already installed SCS? And we know that un-installing and re-installing SCS is a beast. I just gonna add the randomizer mod to top it off.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    To @ZoGarth , @Azele and others: please, remember, that any mod is completely a work by a volunteer, and although an author can be very interested in his work, real life issues often come as big distractors. So, if for any unfortunate reason @Musigny doesn't release the complete mod in 2015, please, don't take it too much to your heart: the end of the year is a very busy period in real life.

As for the SCS compability, the readme file covers it:

The compatibility with Stratagems has not been fully tested yet.
    Several Tactics components from the regular,non EE version stopped to function as intended if deployed before Stratagems.
    Stratagems tends to override both vanilla and mod-introduced creatures using vanilla files (such as the AI scripts).
    This is particularly true in the case of both the unmodded and modded spellcasters found in the BG2(EE) vanilla version.
    This new mod version for EE will include a Stratagems detection module to benefit from the Statagems enhancements in some cases.
    This is not ready yet (alpha v55).
    However the mod is already rewritten to be installed after Stratagems.
    There are two optional exceptions:
    - Improved Ilyich IF you select the install option #2
    - Improved Bodhi IF you want her two vampire mages (final fight) to use the Stratagems vampire/mage files.

Please pay attention to the following conflicts and overlaps with the Stratagems tactical challenges:
    - Improved Ilyich and Make the starting dungeon slightly harder
    - Improved Torgal and Improved De'Arnise Keep
    - Improved Sahuagin City and Improved Sahuagin
    - Improved Bodhi and Improved Bodhi (Tactics remix). The two components are far from being similar.
    - Improved Guarded Compound and Improved minor encounters
    - Improved Twisted Rune and Improved minor encounters
    - Always Toughest Random Spawns in Dungeons and Increase difficulty of level-dependent monster groupings. The former allows you to select exactly the values the game will use.
    - I have no formal evaluation of the conflict between the various improved random encounters. For now I recommend to use Stratagems or stick to Unfinished Business.
    - Tougher Druid Grove and Improved minor encounters.
    - Streamlined Trolls and More Resilient Trolls.
    N.B.-1 Improved Maevar, Tougher Druid Grove and, Tougher Kangaxx can safely be installed after Stratagems (more specifically the Stratagems smarter mages, smarter priests and spellcasting demiliches).
    N.B.-2 The Stratagems rule changes make a few Tactics2 encounters easier to beat (e.g. Kuroisan) but this should have no major impact on the Tactics2 experience.
    N.B.-3 There is one potential drawback related to the install order. Stratagems cannot pre detect the (rare) items introduced by Tactics.
    They are overpowered anyway - I suggest ignoring them (e.g. sanchuudoku).

• MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    @bengoshi
    Thanks for quoting this readme. Now I know at least one guy read it :smiley:
    Waiting for someone to "un-gibberish" my English - this would be much appreciated.

I haven't been able to work on BG during this autumn but I started resuming my work a couple of days ago. That's the major todo list:
    1- test some particular scenarii with Bodhi
    2- finish "The ritual" coding and testing
    3- finally enable Irenicus
    4- restructure the mod (no ultimate modification to the deployed files) so that another group on SHS may "more easily" backport the code to the original BG2 version.

You should get 1 and 2 for Christmas day, 3 and probably 4 by the end of the year.

I'd really like to point out that, despite the alpha or beta state, most components can be seen as stable, not to say final.
    I will gladly implement the wanted changes based on the beta testers feedback. Well this presupposes that there are beta testers...
    The components will be tagged final after the SoD release, or more exactly after the corresponding patch/engine update for BG2EE and subsequent testing. I have no clue about such a date.
    Alpha 58 release
    I rewrote a few things (including some info in the readme file) but the main point is to enable the Ritual component. There is still something wrong with Ender's behaviour but that's clearly not a major point. A side effect is that he is less prone to hide endlessly, this potentially prevented one of the skulls from being destroyed if you are not careful enough.
    I also experienced some lag under windows 10 when a party member is under a dragon wing buffet effect (the three units use this dragon feature during the ritual if you start a fight). However as far as I can tell I don't think this is related to the mod itself.
    Perhaps the yellow dragon is slightly downgraded, well... you tell me.
    Link in the original post as usual.
    edited December 2015
    Alpha 60 release

With Irenicus but...
    I haven't been able to test it yet so it is provided as is. (probably tomorrow).
    It was quick to "convert" to EE.
    I added a few tweaks here and there but it is important to note that the original (rather non-existent) AI is left untouched. At least one creature requires a major enhancement. The extraordinary point is that this is a challenging mod !
    Most of the work was focused on creating/restoring the cutscene sequences, noticeably Irenicus death. In this mod you still have to kill Irenicus (in vanilla Irenicus is "unkillable", HP less than 2 triggers the sequence).

Unless you are absolutley eager to help me test the component, you are advised to ignore it for now.
    Anyway it is not linked to the install procedure.
    If you want to enable it, you have to edit the setup-eetact2.tp2 file with a decent editor that can understand a unix new line (on Windows wordpad can do the job) and find the following section:

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    // Improved Irenicus
    BEGIN @4008 DESIGNATED 15
    REQUIRE_PREDICATE GAME_IS ~bg2ee~
    ~These components are designed for bg2ee.~
    //GROUP ~Tactics2~
    //DEPRECATED ~dummy component~
    then change DEPRECATED to //DEPRECATED (prepend a double slash) and save.
    Now you can install it.

Edit: it seems the site scripts interpreted the HP "less than" 2 sign and the paragraph was a non sense.
    Post edited by Musigny on
    Alpha 61 release

A few modifications/fixes for The Ritual.
    My thanks to @Argent77 for his advice on the bmp files.
    You do not access to the worldmap from the The Ritual area. I added two region triggers (near your starting point and south of the countess/guardian zone) in case you want to leave early. Otherwise you will be teleported 30 seconds after the end/disruption of the ritual.
    Gotural said:

@Musigny It is I who thank you for your hard work to make this mod EE compatible!

So far, Improved Ilyich I think I didn't encounter any bugs but I'm not sure about a few things.

-I got hit once by Karamazov's ranged attacks, as a Wizard Slayer she should have inflicted Spell Failure on my character but no icon appeared on my charcter's portrait and I managed to cast Stoneskin soon after.
    Is the lack of icon intended? Or is Karamazov lacking her Wizard Slayer Miscast Magic ability on hit?

I just tried to create a Wizard Slayer in BG1, I Ctrl-Q Firebead and hit him with an arrow and the Miscast Magic is displayed on his portrait

-The Neophyte Glabrezu stopped attacking me at some point, as you can see in my screenshots I lured it alone then I took it down. At first he retaliated and destroyed my Mirror Images but after that he did nothing, maybe it has something to do with Hide in Plain Sight.

-Zhivago never tried to summon his Fallen Deva, again the source of the problem could be HiPS but I thought that summoning should be very high in his priority list. He casted a lot of True Sight, Heal, Storm Shield, Lightning Bolt (on himself as Storm Shield makes him immune to Electricity).

-There were groups of Proletariat Duergars / Duergar Party Members alongisde SCS usual Duergars.

-SCS component that prevents resting more than once applied.

Thanks for the report!

Karamazov: real bug thanks! miscast on ranged attack was not a topic back then. I will implement it to match the modern EE feature.

Glabrezu: that's the kind of things I fear the most. No clue yet but I will instantiate those scripts to allocate a dedicated instance to each creature, thus helping the root cause analysis. If this relates to HiPS I guess there is one thing I can do but this would mean that most scripts from most mods are crippled.

Zhivago: clearly not expected I never saw such a behaviour. Very simple script: see you then cast the spell...
    Could you please save a copy of ily1.cre + ily1.bcs + spells.ids from your override folder ?

Duergars and prevent resting: can do nothing against it. There is no real reason to deploy both components to enhace the dungeon difficulty (you fault :smile: ). What I am going to do is to detect and optionally grant SCS scripts to the regular duergars.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    For Zhivago I think I know what causes this behavior.

When I went visible after backstabbing, he tried to cast a Conjuration spell with the purple casting animation and everytime I thought it was the Fallen Deva, so I used HiPS to vanish and because the enemies can target you with summoning spells, it cancelled the spell.
    I'm pretty sure the same thing would happen with Invisibility, Improved Invisibility, Shadow Door, etc.
    @Gotural
    Ah ok, then it is a normal behaviour.
    However let's try a local fix for the Glabrezu now and another feature for the spellcaster later when I deal with all of them.
    Fighter/Illusionist in the Docks

It worked fine in the beggining, their Chain Contingencies / Spell Triggers / Spell Sequencers were used correctly and they fought accordingly.

After killing the first familiar I crashed, hopefully I had a quicksave after killing it so I reloaded and then something very strange happened, their spells did nothing anymore!

As you can see he is protected by both Improved Mantle and Fireshield, I backstabbed him with a Dagger+2 and my attack goes through the protections.

He also casted a lot of Cone of Cold and Sunfire and they did nothing, they didn't even kill nearby Peasants.

Also, he was able to throw Sunfire spells at me like Fireballs, but I assumed it is the intended behaviour.
    edited January 2016
    @Gotural
    The gnome cannot cast improved mantle outside one of the spell trigger. He uses no sunfire, no fireball, no fireshield. Moreover Tactics2 changes none of the existing cleric/wizard spells.

I suppose something went wrong with your install.
    Deploying the gnome on top of SCS and aTweaks does not create such a situation so this must be something else.
    Could you please send me the krgnome.cre krgnome.bcs spell.ids (all from override) as well as the setup-eetact2.debug file from the game folder.
    Either here or on my email sent on your forum mailbox.

Edit: I found two script errors but they do not relate to your disaster.
    I send you an e-mail with all the files.
    edited January 2016
    @Gotural

I fixed the wizard slayer kit allocation to Karamazov even though (s)he does not specifically target spellcasters.
    I also rearranged Zhivago's script without altering the original script too much.
    I think you may have faced something similar to https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/46713/persistence-of-the-stealth-button-thieves-hide-in-plain-sight-for-non-kitted-thieves
    The phenomenon likely exists for shadow dancers too.

As regards the gnome, your scenario makes me think you may be a victim of : https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/38296/11131-game-should-not-crash-when-loading-a-save-where-an-injured-enemy-is-leaving-the-area
    logged as an identified bug to be fixed here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/37852/list-of-known-issues-read-this-first.
    edited January 2016
    alpha 62 is released

-You are now required to install a core component prior to deploying the others.
    -Still no Irenicus. Sorry guys, that will come next.
    - @Gotural findings were included in the Ilyich component. The level22 cleric changed a bit and I tried to rebalance him. It is a crippled level 22 character, this is intentional. The wizard slayer got her kit properly assigned (ranged weapons). All creatures have their own mini script now, this will facilitate further implementations.
    -I could not reproduce the gnome crash but I reorganized the script. It deserves to be rewritten from scratch but let's continue with the original author sequence. Several bugs were fixed.
    The gnome still cheats a bit, has a slightly chaotic behaviour and the familiars do not specifically help him in a coordinated way. That's how it was built. Unintentionally the modifications made him more efficient but this is far from being representative of a level 20 / 18 fighter illusionist. It is harder than the original though.
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    edited January 2016
    @Musigny thanks for all your work on this. Two suggestions:

1. Remove component #38 (SimDing0's Improved Oasis) because the component is actively maintained by Wisp as part of Ding0's Quest Pack (http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/board,21.0.html)

2. Simplify by removing component #0 and instead wrapping that core code in an ALWAYS block with an ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~my#t2000.mrk~ to avoid executing more than once, i.e.:

ALWAYS
    ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~my#t2000.mrk~ THEN BEGIN
    // Script core
    INCLUDE ~%my#t2lib%/my#t2cor.tpa~

// Installation marker and make this code execute only once
    COPY ~%my#t2etc%/tramark.mrk~ ~override/my#t2000.mrk~
    END
    END

And remove REQUIRE_COMPONENT "setup-eetact2.tp2" "0" @10011 from the other components.
    edited January 2016
    @agb1

Regarding your first point, I am not going to unconditionally remove the component even though I agree it is basically useless and people should install the Quest Pack version. In fact I will disable the installation of several components if another mod is detected. That's what I started to do but I have spent my recent modding week-end time on @Gotural 's findings. Improved Oasis is amongst them as well as almost all "monster" components if I detect Stratagems or aTweaks more modern versions.

The core component was introduced because I want to work on @Lollorian 's request (or kind of request) to reuse the mod on a non EE version.
    The few things I needed at the start of the mod were implemented in ALWAYS statements (still the case for the variables setup and the charset conversion). However if someone wants to backport all components, (s)he will need at least Detectable Stats/Spells and probably TobEx. As I want to control the overall structure, I decided to prepare for their installation from a new initial component. I may revert that later on but this is more comfortable for now.
    Alpha63 release

Decrease my backlog of minor enhancements and tweaks.
    The install procedure will skip some components if it detects a similar component already installed by Stratagems or aTweaks. This will provide a more secure installation for those reluctant to read the readme file :smile: Improved Oasis also skipped if the corresponding QuestPack component is installed.
    Ishan's component is now fully enabled (ToB sections activated by default) and you are encouraged to use it. You are also encouraged to give the Streamlined trolls a try.
    Overlaps with the improved minor encounters were reviewed:
    Twisted Rune, Guarded Compount, Tougher Druid Grove can be installed on top of SCS.
    Twisted Rune is likely easier than the SCS version.
    Guarded Compound is likely harder than the SCS version.
    As regards the grove, a version just changing Faldorn will be proposed in the future (it has always been a very particular challenge).
    @Musigny we've added version 0.63 to BiG World Setup for BG2:EE with the following conflict rules (only components separated by a colon are considered to be in conflict, | is or, so a|b:c means a or b conflicts with c, but a and b do not conflict with each other). Your analysis of aTweaks and SCS conflicts was very helpful; you might want to add some of the other conflicts here (with BP, DSoA, etc.) to your readme. Of course given the number of rules here is it's quite possible that there are some mistakes too.

Line 516: Compatibility with Tactics Kuroisan=D:Yikari(3):BP(1250)|eetact2(180)|Tactics(8)
    Line 625: Choose one version of Tactics=C:eetact2(-):Tactics(-)
    Line 662: Tactics fighter-class archer kit=C:eetact2(460):Tactics(26)
    Line 663: Tactics anti-paladin kit=C:eetact2(470):Tactics(27)
    Line 872: Smarter Beholders=C:stratagems(6550|6551|6552|6553):eetact2(320):BP(350):Tactics(23)
    Line 874: Smarter Dragons=C:stratagems(6540|6541):eetact2(310):BP(400):Tactics(22)
    Line 875: Improved Hell Dragon=C:Hanna(5):eetact2(310)|Tactics(22)
    Line 878: Smarter Fiends / Slightly Tougher Demons AI=C:aTweaks(150|152|153)|stratagems(6510|6511):eetact2(420):BP(375):Tactics(34)
    Line 880: Smarter Mages=C:BP(500):stratagems(6030|6031|6032|6033|6034):eetact2(340):Tactics(25)
    Line 881: Smarter Mind Flayers=C:stratagems(6560|6561|6562|6563):eetact2(300):BP(700):Tactics(21)
    Line 884: Tougher Druid Grove=C:eetact2(430)|stratagems(8190):BP(1140):Tactics(35)
    Line 886: Tougher Golems=C:stratagems(6500):eetact2(350):BP(600):Tactics(20)
    Line 888: Streamlined trolls <> Improved (less buggy) trolls=C:eetact2(450):Polytweak(60):Tactics(37)
    Line 889: Improved Undead=C:aTweaks(160):eetact2(290):BP(900):Tactics(19)
    Line 890: Tougher Vampires=C:eetact2(330):BP(1030|1040|1050|1060|1070|1080|1090):stratagems(6580):Tactics(24)
    Line 892: Improved Bodhi=C:eetact2(140):BP(1030|1050|1070):stratagems(8080|8081):Tactics(4)
    Line 893: Improved Copper Coronet=C:eetact2(370):BDToBv173(7):BP(1100):Tactics(29):BDToBv168(5):DSoA(2)
    Line 894: Improved Fire Giants temple=C:stratagems(8160):BP(2600):eetact2(440):RevisedBattles(13):Tactics(36)
    Line 895: Improved Ilyich=C:eetact2(100):BP(440|450):stratagems(8000):RevisedBattles(16):Tactics(0):Vic(11)
    Line 897: NPCs/Summons Set Off Traps <> Improved Ilyich=C:d0tweak(19):Tactics(0)|eetact2(100)
    Line 901: Improved Mae'Var=C:eetact2(200)|stratagems(6030|6031|6032|6033|6034):BP(1300):Tactics(10)
    Line 902: Improved Nymphs and Call Woodland Being=C:aTweaks(185):eetact2(360):Tactics(28):ImprovedSummons(5):BDToBv173(9)|BDToBv168(7)
    Line 903: BP Generic Creature Processing also modifies Nymphs (right-click to override)=CW:eetact2(360)|Tactics(28)|ImprovedSummons(5)|BDToBv173(9)|BDToBv168(7):BP(150)
    Line 904: Improved Sahuagin City=C:eetact2(130):BP(750):stratagems(8110):Tactics(3)
    Line 906: Improved Torgal and De'Arnise Keep=C:eetact2(120):BP(1315):stratagems(8060|8061):Hanna(1):Tactics(2)
    Line 909: ;Twisted Rune - Tactics(7)|eetact2(170) does not conflict with BP(150)
    Line 913: Random Spawns, Mages, Liches, Demons <> Increase difficulty of level-dependent monster groupings=C:stratagems(8040|8041|8042|8043):BP(1400):eetact2(270|280):Tactics(17|18)
    Line 914: Always toughest spawns in dungeons (no conflict with BP)=C:eetact2(260):stratagems(8040|8041|8042|8043):Tactics(16)
    Line 915: Harder Suldanessellar Irenicus=C:eetact2(150):Kiara-Zaiya(7):Hanna(2):Tactics(5)
    Line 917: The Ritual=C:eetact2(11):BP(1450):Tactics(1)
    Line 918: Random Encounters and Athkatlan City Guards=C:BP(1400):eetact2(270|280):stratagems(8050):Tactics(17|18):BG2_Tweaks(1040)
    Line 919: Miscellaneous Enhancements=C:eetact2(270|280):Tactics(17|18)
    Line 920: Gebhard Blucher's Lich in the Docks (no overlap with SCS)=C:eetact2(210):BP(1275):Tactics(11)
    Line 921: Gebhard Blucher's Improved Demon Knights=C:aTweaks(160)|stratagems(6510|6511):eetact2(220):BP(375):Tactics(12)
    Line 922: Kensai Ryu's Gnome Fighter/Illusionist in the Docks=C:eetact2(240):BP(1175):Tactics(14):DSoA(5)
    Line 923: Kensai Ryu's Tougher Kangaxx and Guardians=C:eetact2(230)|stratagems(8020):BP(1225):Tactics(13):DSoA(7)
    Line 924: Kensai Ryu's Improved Crypt King (no overlap with SCS)=C:eetact2(250):BP(1120):Tactics(15):DSoA(3)
    Line 925: Kuroisan the Acid Kensai (no overlap with SCS)=C:eetact2(180):BP(1250):Tactics(8)
    Line 926: Red Badge, Poison-Based Encounter=C:eetact2(190):BP(1425):Tactics(9)
    Line 927: Mike Barnes' Improved Small Teeth Pass (no overlap with SCS)=C:eetact2(390):BP(1525):Tactics(31)
    Line 928: Mike Barnes' Improved North Forest (no overlap with SCS)=C:eetact2(400):Tactics(32)
    Line 929: Mike Barnes' Marching Mountains=C:eetact2(410):Tactics(33)
    Line 932: Improved Oasis=C:d0questpack(11|12):eetact2(380):Tactics(30)
    Alpha64 release (no, DEC isn't back, sadly)

-changed the structure / naming convention / variables of the mod to look like something I can instinctively understand (this was a bit messy). I have been postponing this change for too long.
    -fixed a profiency for KR's gnome
    -fixed a patch compilation for redbadge (the original script was compiled instead of the patched one).
    -added the de facto standard stat allowing to query the enchantement level. This, for the five droppable weapons of the mod. Now aTweaks and Stratagems can read the enchantment.
    -tweaked several item parameters which looked weird (like enchantment on armor...)

-spotted something largely suboptimal with the golems - not fixed yet.

As this release has many structural changes, do not hesitate to mention any issue even if this seems very minor.

@agb1
    Ok I will reassess the mod compatibility at some point. Does BWS make sure eetact2 is installed after Stratagems and aTweaks?
    Glad to see this mod included but beware I'm still in alpha (not for long though).
    I will move to github or another equivalent with the first real beta.
    edited January 2016
    Yes, at the moment we have eetact2 after aTweaks, which is after BP, which is after SCS (per horred the plague's recommendation for anyone who tries to mix SCS+BP). Other mods that add new encounters are before aTweaks and SCS, so well before eetact2.

Thanks for not changing any component numbers in the latest update! Latest BWS will use 0.64 now. (To clarify, I don't mind if you change component numbers, it's a pre-release after all. Just much easier to update when they don't change, because all of the conflict, dependency and installation rules are tied to component numbers.)
    @agb1
    there is no change pertaining to the component numbers. The DESIGNATED numbers will remain stable.
    I changed them in v63 to be able to integrate subcomponents but I expect no further changes.
    The Ritual is 11, all the rest are 100+ ... I wouldn't mind another change here for consistency.
    Alpha 65 released

-repaired my own mistakes in the Slightly Smarter Golems component
    -stub for reorganizing the tra files
    - fix The Ritual numbering ( @agb1 )
    BWS has been updated to use alpha 65.
    edited January 2016
    Alpha 66 release

This is an intermediate step.
    No functional change, a few things coded differently to remove a former method of patching the game files.
    Shorter readme file. The comments on the compatibility are logged in a different file (compatibility.txt) written using a more exhaustive approach.

If there are users of the Deeper Shadows of Amn on BG2EE, please let me know.
    I suppose it doesn't work properly on EE but comments are welcome.

Edit - Silent update: the package was reloaded as a directory with 18M of files was erroneously included.
    BWS has been updated to use alpha 66.
    Alpha 67 released

-clean up / reorganisation
    -fix a residual translation/conversion mistake
    -fixes for Bodhi. I started to rollback a change I implemented months ago, three modifications to come.
    @Musigny - BWS updated to alpha 67. In the compatibility notes you advised not keeping items dropped after certain encounters in this mod. Have you considered applying the unstealable&undroppable flags to those items?
    @agb1
    Yes, the plan is to create an external file to store several installation options, this will include a flag to set such items as undroppable (or droppable if I revert the logic) but in all cases, those items were part of the original mod and I don't want to prevent people from using them if they want to. Even if a couple of those items are (too) powerful, they are interesting and nice creations. For now, this is just a warning in a doc file.
    In terms of balance, the only thing I radically changed is the anti-paladin because I did not understand the underlying logic (probably a study case).
    I have too many things in my backlog (irenicus enablement, bodhi modification, innate for demons, a little revision of the illithids, start to enable a non EE base) so this will have to wait a bit.
    Another option is to postpone such an item treatment to the item upgrade mod itself.