Skip to content

Should HLA ftom TOB be in Spellcasters level 7 & 9 spellbooks!?

2»

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

@Tymaker: It's probably for the best not to reach mage levels higher than 23. The last time somebody in Faerun cast a level 12 spell, it caused the fall of Netheril.

Karsus was level 41 though, and Mystra banned level 11+ spells anyway. And I do not believe that a mage would access level 11 spells at level 22, and level 12 spells at level 24, since there are quite a few of those high level wizard here and there (Szass Tam, Elminster, Larloch,...) and none of them is even close to Karsus.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Arunsun said:

Karsus was level 41 though, and Mystra banned level 11+ spells anyway. And I do not believe that a mage would access level 11 spells at level 22, and level 12 spells at level 24, since there are quite a few of those high level wizard here and there (Szass Tam, Elminster, Larloch,...) and none of them is even close to Karsus.

And Irenicus. And unlike the others, who each have reasons for wanting the world to continue, Irenicus doesn't care if he brings the whole world crashing down around him in pursuit of his revenge.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I would like to mention https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31103/having-hla-spells-as-abilities-instead-of-top-level-spells - the thread where the question of whether having HLAs as spells does actually nerf HLAs or not.

I can give opinion only on divine HLAs, as I'm not an expert in high level wizards. A high level cleric or a druid doesn't have a lot of damaging spells. For nearly all SoA those spells and even one HLA of each kind (i.e one Deva, one Greater Elemental Prince, etc) can be enough to defeat everything. If you have a party, it would be enough even for all SoA.

But if you solo with a cleric or a druid, you'll find in Suldanessellar and late in the Hell that you simply doesn't have enough fire power against enemies. And this is when multiple HLAs as spells help.

For example, my solo druid could defeat Nizidramanii'yt and Irenicus in the Hell only because he could use several Energy Blades HLAs and summon several Greater Elemental Summoning and more than one Deva in one battle.

In ToB, this situation becomes even worse (again, I'm speaking about a solo play, when you can't rely on wizards, warriors, rogues and the like). Nearly every big battle in ToB requires several divine HLAs as spells. 2 Devas minimum for each fight. And Energy blades. 20 of them can be shut so quickly, so it's never enough.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2015
    Can't you just cast a bunch of (probably 3) Firestorms Nizidramanii'yt 's way and finish him that way? :)

I mean if you are soloing by that point it shouldn't be too big of a problem. Irenicus on the otherhand would be.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    elminster said:

Can't you just cast a bunch of (probably 3) Firestorms Nizidramanii'yt 's way and finish him that way? :)

I mean if you are soloing by that point it shouldn't be too big of a problem. Irenicus on the otherhand would be.

Not sure about the unmodded game, but with the SCS monsters go out of AoE spells, and getting all the attention on your solo character instead of Deva/Elemental Prince would be a suicide, taking into account huge damage the dragon inflicts.

Firestorm worked wonders in the Sendai's enclave, though, because in the final battle there there're not many places to hide for enemies.
  • TymakerTymaker Member Posts: 105
    edited December 2015
    @sarevok57 Hey, thanks for your insight - sounds to me you play a very cool hack and slash style, and I agree with TOB being sort of slapped together. With my Standolf Sorcer-for-the-win character, I dragon stomped and comet fell all my way to the finals.

And that's the beauty of this game, is there is just so many ways to play it.
    Post edited by Tymaker on