Skip to content

BG2 or something else?

Spoilers contained herein.

I have a week off of work after xmas. My plan is to do absolutely nothing except for play a crpg (or maybe other computer game) from start to finish. My top contender right now is BG2 with ToB. My main reason for this is that, while I've played it a million times, I've never actually finished it. I think the furthest I've made it is Spellhold, and even that was only once. The problem is that I eventually hit a wall where, between the HLAs and tedious metamagic, the game gets a little lost in the system. Also, I don't think there's much story left for me to discover. I pretty much know that Imoen is my sister, all/most of the Bhaalspawn are competing to become the next Bhaal or something like it. Sarevok comes back, but different and can join the party. Irenicus is a twisted freak that just wants the power inherent in Bhaalspawn. Is there much else at this point?

If I don't go with BG2, I'm not sure what I'd go with. I feel like I've played everything. I started looking at Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland lately, as they are newer. From what I've read, PoE is still working out its kinks and probably won't be solid until the next expansion/update. While I was looking forward to Wasteland, I've read a lot of mixed reviews about that (mostly how quirky the system is and how it's really unbalanced).

Also, I play on a laptop with integrated graphics (Intel i7), so that's definitely a limitation.

So, is there anything left for me to discover in BG2 that makes it worth another run? Or, if I go with something else, what would you recommend? I'm looking for something with a story that will really draw me in which also has engaging gameplay. Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    So you've never made it to the Underdark? That's pretty good fun if you've never seen it before!

And then when you get to ToB ... that's still a little linear even with the EE side-quests, but that's not a problem first time through.

And you don't mention finding out what's going on in Watcher's Keep.

Yes, there's more to discover. And some battles which require different tactics, much more magical than in the earlier stages, so again that's quite a refreshing change when you haven't seen it before.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Install the SCS mod. Go for the Improved AI component at least. It will give you a lot of new emotions. You'll play BG2 with a pleasure. http://www.gibberlings3.net/scs/

For ToB, install the Ascension mod: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41418/ascension-in-bg2ee-guide-and-fixes#latest
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    EE content is good in BG2. Namely, new npc's questlines are fun to play and are just challenging enough to be fun.
    bengoshi said:

Install the SCS mod. Go for the Improved AI component at least. It will give you a lot of new emotions. You'll play BG2 with a pleasure. http://www.gibberlings3.net/scs/

For ToB, install the Ascension mod: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41418/ascension-in-bg2ee-guide-and-fixes#latest

I agree scs makes the whole bg2 a new game, you feel like playing against living, breathing, intelligent enemies as they react and prioritise like a real person.

Black Pits 2 is also solid fun, and adds quite a lot of hours of play as well. I highly recommend it.
    bengoshi said:

Hey, no! Sorry, @bengoshi, I've got to disagree. We're talking to a player who has never gone beyond Spellhold, and I reckon everyone ought to finish the game at least once in its unmodded form to see what it's like, before deciding to mix it up with mods.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Kneller said:

I've played it a million times

To me, this is enough for installing mods, especially for making AI better. Also, the Ascension story is actually a semi-official modification.
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    I'm leaning towards actually finishing this game, but I'd still like some suggestions of other games other BG players have liked that maybe I might have missed. I wouldn't mind having some options from which to choose. I tried googling games, but I kinda feel like I've played everything.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    You could try Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition. Very hack and slash and simple, if that's what you like. It can be hard at points, but mostly the difficulty comes from damage, so dropping down the difficulty in a few places would let you complete the whole thing in a day, certainly, Just bear in mind IWD:EE has very few mage scrolls in it.
  • BorderBorder Member Posts: 32
    If you haven't tried them yet, you may be interested in the Elder Scrolls games. They are on sale at GOG right now. Fallout is another good option. I've been dissapointed with the new batch of Kickstarter games and such. I tried to play PoE and The Xulima game but couldn't get into them. I am curious how the new Might and Magic turned out....

You know what we could use? A new Ultima game. It's been about 16 years....
    Ive played through the IWD series (and PS:T, my favorite, since we're on IE games). I've also played some of the Elder Scrolls games, I liked them a little less.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited December 2015
    You could also mess with EEkeeper and create characters with special effects.

I did a solo transmuter with permanent alacrity and haste recently. Most fun I've ever had with BG1ee.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Kneller said:

I'm leaning towards actually finishing this game, but I'd still like some suggestions of other games other BG players have liked that maybe I might have missed. I wouldn't mind having some options from which to choose. I tried googling games, but I kinda feel like I've played everything.

Dragonage Origins (another bioware game. It's really well done, but plays differently. It's also much darker. As in a good guy can legit punch out a mother and slit her son's throat. And yes, that is something that a good guy can do and be commended for)
    Icewind Dale (get the EE. It's just like baldurs gate, only more combat less rp)
    Planescape Torment (it's just like baldurs gate, only more rp less combat)
    I've played DA:O and all other IE games. DA:O started strong, but the AI did some wonky stuff that made the combat unplayable for me.

I've been googling games. I'm really starting to think I've played everything worth playing... :(
    Kneller said:

I've been googling games. I'm really starting to think I've played everything worth playing... :(

You may well be right. Really good games are few and far between!
    Yeah, I think I'm pretty committed to taking another run at BG2. Now I just need to go through the agonizing task of picking a class for my party. :P
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    You could always try another genre. My son got me Civilization: Beyond Earth for Christmas, and I'm having a blast trying to figure out how to survive the first couple dozen turns.