Skip to content

Can't find any damn scimitars

So I'm doing a new playthrough of BG1 - I've got Jaheria dual wielding scimitars. Last time I played, my main character was using scimitars, and I found plenty. I bought 2 at the start, and despite the occasional breaking, I clearly recall being able to replace them fairly easily, and finding a 2 +1s somewhere throughout the game - relatively early.

This time through...I've not found a single shop selling scimitars, nor a single scimitar from drops. I've had to cheat some basic scimitars in using EEKeeper (and had them both break in around 10 mins, typical), and had to recheat them in. I want to be able to simply buy them from a shop, but for the life of me, I can't find any ANYWHERE.

I've installed a few mods, but I don't have many.

I've got the BG2 tweaks (since you need BG2 tweaks when using BG1EE), the NPC project, and romantic encounters.

I was already running both the tweaks and romantic encounters last time I played, but I don't see how the NPC project, or any extra tweaks I might have added could affect the game in a way that removes items from shops.

Comments

• CaeriaCaeria Member Posts: 201
    You should be able to buy scimitars in Ulgoth's Beard and the Nashkel Carnival or at Maltz's Weapon Shop, Thuderhammer Smithy, Shop of Silence, Black Lily, the Nashkel store, the Jovial Juggler, the FAI, and some general stores as well. This is after some quick NI searching, I probably missed some places.
    Yamcha
  • MrNoobyMrNooby Member Posts: 131
    That's odd. I checked the Thunderhammer smithy, expecting to find some there...and nope. Nothing. I'll check some of the other places you listed though.
    Hm, strange. I hope you manage to find some!
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    edited January 2016
    You can easily find 2 great scimitars of the same kind (and name).
    One Rashad's Talon is in Cloakwood Area (the one with the spiders) and another one is on the top of the Durlag's Tower.
    JuliusBorisovMusigny
    I won't be going to Durlag's tower any time soon, and I'm still a ways off from cloakwood, in Nashkel at the moment.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    If I remember right there is a +1 scimitar from the group of Amn mercenaries in the map where you help the 'boy' get his dog back. It's the area right under Nashkel.
    Unfortunately not, that's a longsword +1 as opposed to a scimitar. Still, I'll check the other places mentioned before I clear the mines.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    MrNooby said:

Unfortunately not, that's a longsword +1 as opposed to a scimitar. Still, I'll check the other places mentioned before I clear the mines.

She is dual wielding in my game, that might be why.
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    My call: it is BG2 Tweaks somehow, maybe some old version (currently it's v16 IIRC).
    Which tweaks have you installed? Maybe there is some trouble with "Exotic Items Pack" or "Alter Weapon Proficiency System"..
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Caeria - I haven't gone into the game to double-check the precise list, but I'm certain that (in the unmodded game) Scimitars are quite rare in shops, not nearly that many places sell them. Are you looking at the stock lists after installing a mod?

@MrNooby - you must have Jaheira dual-wielding without proficiency, then? That's not going to work very well. (Jaheira isn't designed to be a dual-wielder, and even in BG2 it's only just barely feasible to force-fit her for proficient dual-wielding by late in the game.)
    I do have mods installed, sure, but I'm like 99% sure none of them alter stores.
    Mmph. I'll go look at it in-game when I get the chance, but I'm not at home now.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    Check with the guy standing outside Durlag's Tower right when you get to the area. He should sell some. And you can leave the area again without fighting anything.
    @MrNooby - Scimitars are sold by the Ulgoth's Beard Inn (unlimited supply) and by Erdane (outside Durlag's Tower, 5 only). Nowhere else sells them. All other non-magical Scimitars are drops in combat (typically by Ogre Mages, in fact perhaps only by Ogre Mages).

@Caeria - I've now checked in-game, every single store in the unmodded game. Your results must be the result of a mod, since of the ones you mention, only Ulgoth's Beard Inn sells Scimitars (plus Erdane, whom you didn't mention). Incidentally, you mention the Jovial Juggler, which isn't a store at all in the unmodded game, so I guess that's also a mod effect.
    JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH
    Huh. Starting to wonder where I got them. I know for a fact I had them from the start of the game last time, so Candlekeep inn must sell them, and maybe I got +1s from random drops or something?

As for Jaheria dual-wielding - I don't have a problem with using EEKeeper to one-time edit NPC profs when I pick them up for the first time in my games - I feel like I should be able to customize them, limited by their class if I wish.
  • leeowensoasleeowensoas Member Posts: 81
    This looks like the handiwork of the Unfinished Business mod maybe? I know one of the components restores scimitars+1 to the game, specifically to the lady with the longsword+1 in the encounter described above by SionIV. It also adds regular scimitars to some stores. Could also be bg2tweaks exotic item pack.

OP: the Scimitar+2 in Durlag's is very easy to get early, it doesn't actually lie IN the tower, but just on the roof which is accessible fighting only a sum total of maybe 3 minor enemies (if you have potions of mirrored eyes/prot. from petrifaction)
    @Gallowglass Come to think of it, definitely not a mod, but I may have added them to the stores manually. I've been known to do things like that. It's been a while since the last patch,so...I probably forgot, heh.
    UnendingCreed
    MrNooby said:

Huh. Starting to wonder where I got them. I know for a fact I had them from the start of the game last time, so Candlekeep inn must sell them, and maybe I got +1s from random drops or something?

Ah yes, good point. I forgot about the Candlekeep Inn when I checked it out, because it wasn't the right Chapter to have access to Candlekeep. But yes, the Candlekeep Inn does also sell Scimitars, so you must have had them from the start.

There's a Scimitar +1 dropped somewhere, I'm pretty sure non-randomly, but off the top of my head I can't remember where it comes from.
    JuliusBorisov
  • RidcullyRidcully Member Posts: 164
    In an unmodded game, based on my plays, these are the only magic scimitars

+2 (Cloakwood 2)
    +3 Frostband from Drizzt. Don't know about EE but in the original game it was possible to pickpocket this
    +3 Defender from Drizzt. Think the only way to get that was to kill him
    +1 (Sewers)
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Had not noticed the scarcity of scimitars before this thread! Non-magical scimitars are dropped by the Ogre Mage random encounters though, as one possible (but clearly unreliable) source of scimitars in the early game - I usually run into this guy transiting between areas South of Nashkel.
    JuliusBorisovBlackraven
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    edited January 2016
    Ridcully said:

+3 Frostband from Drizzt. Don't know about EE but in the original game it was possible to pickpocket this

In EE (last patch) is not possible. Only way to obtain it is killing Drizzt.
    JuliusBorisovGotural
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Well, it's not without a reason - remember, that a scimitar is an eastern weapon, although not as rare as a katana.

We had a thread about the same subject earlier - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/10743/could-go-for-a-good-scimitar-spoilers

If you're looking for a scimitar for characters other than druids (druids can only use scimitars, not wakizashi or ninjato), remember that the same proficiency works for wakizashi, and you can find a magical (+1) during the Dorn's encounter before visiting the Nashkel Mines.
    Blackraven
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Gallowglasselminster
    Magical scimitars are very well-supplied in BG1ee - there are loads of them, compared to some other weapon classes.

However, the main point of the question is about the scarcity of mundane scimitars - which might indeed be a problem if the ones you originally equipped in Candlekeep break early, because you've got to get a fair way into the game before you can find magical ones or even buy mundane replacements.
  • BanArdBanArd Member Posts: 60
    edited January 2016
    One of the thugs during Dorn's joinable encounter carries a Wakizashi +1 (same proficiency).
    Blackraven
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I'm fairly sure non-magical scimitars don't break. Either that or I've got incredibly lucky using one for most of the game until I got Rashad's Talon from Cloakwood.
    Kilivitz said:

I'm fairly sure non-magical scimitars don't break. Either that or I've got incredibly lucky using one for most of the game until I got Rashad's Talon from Cloakwood.

Well @MrNooby as OP is certainly reporting breakage, although he does admit that he's modded, so that may be something to do with his problem.

Mundane Katanas are specifically exempt from breakage, but I'm not so sure about scimitars.

In my own experience, I don't recall breakages with scimitars, but on the other hand I don't usually start off with Scimitar proficiency, so I've usually got magical ones by the time I add that proficiency.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Actually, i was misremembering my game. I actually had been using non-magical wakizashis and ninja-tos. They can be purchased from Winthrop and don't cost as much as the Katana, nor do they break, so I figure they are a good deal if you're not a Druid and have invested pips in that particular proficiency.
    Aerakar
    I don't have any mods nor tweaks that change equipment breakages, and I'm absolutely 100% sure I've had them break (because I remember the frustration of "GREAT, now I have to cheat MORE of them in").
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714