Skip to content

Possible to make a winged PC?

I'm considering making a fallen Angel type winged character for role play reasons in a black pits run through I intend to carry over into BP2.

Obviously I understand you can't make such a character with the standard race options but has anyone found a way to make a winged PC through editing means? I was thinking of using EE Keeper but not sure if there is any winged race I can use to edit the character appearance.

Comments

• proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Whoa! That's pretty rad. Does that work for classes that aren't allowed helmets, like mages and thieves?
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288

There is a helmet in BGEE that you can equip to give your character wings.

To create the helmet, you need to use the console (or EE Keeper).

C:CreateItem("WINGS01")

One note - the helmet is only usable by elves and half-elves. The wing animation is from 1PP and only exists for the elf animations.

Here's an image showing what they look like:

Never knew about it. From where did this helmet came from?
    Maybe it could be neat to equip it on Aerie
    meagloth
  • CaeriaCaeria Member Posts: 201
    Actually, @AstroBryGuy, unless I'm mistaken, the wings won't show up on a thief paperdoll. You can still wear them, sure, but I'm almost certain they won't actually appear.
    AstroBryGuydr_mudsJuliusBorisov
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Caeria said:

Actually, @AstroBryGuy, unless I'm mistaken, the wings won't show up on a thief paperdoll. You can still wear them, sure, but I'm almost certain they won't actually appear.

Forgot about that. Yes, it only works with fighter, cleric, and mage paperdolls/avatars. You can wear it as an elf thief, but there will be no wing animation (unless you change the character's avatar).
    CaeriaJuliusBorisov
  • dr_mudsdr_muds Member Posts: 75
    edited January 2016
    That's pretty amazing @AstroBryGuy and I'm sure not many people knew about this!

Only issue I have is that the character I wanted to have wings would be a Blackguard (Angel-like creature gone bad) so would need to be Human.

Any way to edit the item itself to remove the racial restrictions (like Near Infinity?)?

Thanks again!
    The item restrictions are there because the wing animations only exist for the elf sprites. Taking the item restrictions off the wings would not make them work with a human. If you put WINGS01 on a human, the wings would not appear. Even if you did get them to appear (by doing some bam file copying), the wing sprites would not line up with the human avatar animation sprites.

Make a human blackguard, then use EE Keeper to change the Race to Elf or Half-Elf (on the Characteristics tab) and change the Appearance to Fighter [Male/Female] Elf (both half-elves and elves use the Elf avatar) on the Appearance tab. Then you can use the WINGS01 item.
    Goturalelminster
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited January 2016
    That definitely looks like official artwork.

I'd dare to say they used that item for the Deva animation back in the days. Am I right?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Now all we need is a modder to make an "Aerie gets her wings back" story.

I'd dare to say they used that item for the Deva animation back in the days. Am I right?

No. The Deva uses the SOLAR (or ANTISOLAR) animation. The Attachable Wings were originally created by erephine for the 1PP mod. BGEE incorporates the 1PP mod.

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/682-1pp-attachable-wings/

No. The Deva uses the SOLAR (or ANTISOLAR) animation. The Attachable Wings were originally created by erephine for the 1PP mod. BGEE incorporates the 1PP mod.

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/682-1pp-attachable-wings/
    Ah. the sheer quality fools me.

it's really well done. Are there any other such special items?
    @AstroBryGuy lets say I did want to experiment on a Human Blackguard (I'm not a fan of Elven fighter avatars as I think they are too weedy and slim), how would I go about editing BAM files? By the way can't say I am an expert on coding or programming at all!
    edited January 2016
    Well, you would have to export all the frames of the BAM files to bitmap graphics using NearInfinity (or DLTCEP). Then edit each frame to correctly line up with the human avatar. To give an example of how many frames this is: the first file contains 9 cycles of 14 frames each, so 126 frames total. There are 14 total files for the wings animations (15 if you count the inventory paperdoll), some with over 800 frames. So, you'll be editing a few thousand animation frames.

When you're done, you'd need to use NearInfinity (or DLTCEP) to rebuild the animation BAMs. Then, add them to the override with the correct name. Weapon animations are named in the following format:

WxsAAnn
    W = All weapons animations begin with W
    x = Unknown, player or monster?
    s = Size (S = small, M = Medium, L = Large, H = Huge)
    AA = Item name (as in the itm header animation field)
    nn = Action (as sequence field)

The only thing that would change is the "size" character. You need to change the "M" in each file's name with "L".
    dr_mudsRodrianIsewein
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    You can always use BG2Tweaks to remove the racial restrictions on classes - so you can have an elven/half-elf Blackguard.
    edited January 2016
    @decado racial restrictions aren't an issue - EE keeper can be used to make any race/class combination you want. The issue was making the elf wing item work on a Human.

@AstroBryGuy thanks again for being a font of knowledge. Sounds like its too much hard work so I am going with your initial suggestion. After playing around with my Half-Elf winged blackguard I think he looks awesome, and am actually thinking a Human avatar in full plate would look way too bulky, so I'm really happy with the end result. Thanks again for the solution!
    Rodrian
    @AstroBryGuy here's another one for you... Any way to materialise a tail for one of my PC's?

I'm thinking of a tiefling or demon's type tail, similar to the Tiefling in Planescape Torment. I'm not sure if Haer Daelis ever had a tail as never tried him....

Again this is for the same black pits party but I'm running with a Tiefling/Elf Shadowdancer to dual to a fighter who is Good in alignment.
    @dr_muds - Not that I know of.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Thread necro... Found this thread while researching subraces. I just managed to convert the wings over to the human animation. There's no need to edit individual frames. All I did was 1. Rename it with the "L" 2. Resize it to 1.2 (using NI post processing -which effects all frames at once). 3. Re-center it using NI again. For my mod I so far have wings for the Aasimar, flames for the fire genasi... Next will have a look at tiefling tail although that might be tricky. For female tiefling they can choose to look like PST Anna if they prefer.

The file naming in this thread was really useful.. I still haven't figured out what that second letter does though. Also the wings are brown... I'm trying to change the colours for different races. I can use the hue setting on NI, but after I changed to silvery white, they still show as brown. Brown is green in NI so I'm assuming it's a pallet thing to solve.

Also in my trial and many errors I thought of using some of those errors for a use. If you don't untick the Auto while recentering, the empty space moves the animation significantly. This would be nice for a fun item, such as a bird who follows you around or even a ghost who stands next to you.
    SirBatince
    fluke13 wrote: »
    Thread necro... Found this thread while researching subraces. I just managed to convert the wings over to the human animation. There's no need to edit individual frames. All I did was 1. Rename it with the "L" 2. Resize it to 1.2 (using NI post processing -which effects all frames at once). 3. Re-center it using NI again. For my mod I so far have wings for the Aasimar, flames for the fire genasi... Next will have a look at tiefling tail although that might be tricky. For female tiefling they can choose to look like PST Anna if they prefer.

The file naming in this thread was really useful.. I still haven't figured out what that second letter does though. Also the wings are brown... I'm trying to change the colours for different races. I can use the hue setting on NI, but after I changed to silvery white, they still show as brown. Brown is green in NI so I'm assuming it's a pallet thing to solve.

Also in my trial and many errors I thought of using some of those errors for a use. If you don't untick the Auto while recentering, the empty space moves the animation significantly. This would be nice for a fun item, such as a bird who follows you around or even a ghost who stands next to you.

Would you be willing to share this? I've always been annoyed the way only elves could wear 'em
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Yea of course, I've done some more play testing and having a few issues... Not sure why the animation doesn't show up for women. Still stuck on how to change colours...the op pictures show wings the same as hair colour but doesn't work for me. It's also a little rough around the ages...attack animations could use some tweaking. Hopefully I can share the results soon, but need to iron out this issues first. If anyone can help, I can share the files I have so far. Thanks