Skip to content

[IWD:EE v1.4] Game crashing upon resting outdoors and in dungeons.

KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156
edited January 2016 in Troubleshooting
My IWD:EE keeps crashing upon rest. The issue started in the Vale of Shadows. No clue what the issue is.

As per @agb1 request I'm making a thread here to help resolve this problem.

Here's my WEiDU Log: http://pastebin.com/N5EiKW0N

Below are: the dump file the game creates, the WEiDU log file and the Big World Upload Debug archive.

Comments

• agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    edited January 2016
    I do not own IWD:EE so I can only offer limited assistance here. For a start, please also attach your saved game from a place where the game consistently crashes when you rest.

You said that you dropped all inventory and crashes still occur, so we can rule out inventory issues.

As it might be a problem with one of the NPCs in your party, try varying your party composition (kick out NPCs from your party) before resting. As it might be a problem with the area you are in, also try using CLUAConsole:MoveToArea to return to Easthaven and see if you can rest there. You can abbreviate CLUAConsole as C, so:

C:MoveToArea("AR1000")

Please also check if you have any other .log or .err files in your game folder. Any kind of error message (assertion failed, for example) would be informative.
  • KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156
    edited January 2016
    I found the issue.

Apparently it's my Wild Mage, who is causing the crashes. I dropped him, rested and rejoined him. The result was that I was able to learn another cantrip and continue resting at will.

Something worth noting: once he rejoined, 3 abilities were cast on him: "Invalid 88756" and 2x "...". I have no clue what they're supposed to be but one of them allows choosing a cantrip.

Here's the save. Any ideas what the problem is?

EDIT: There seems to be more. I have about 10 saves and circa 4 rests before the game starts crashing again.
    Post edited by Krotos on
    To confirm: still no crashes if the wild mage is not in the party? Using EE Keeper, try changing the wild mage's kit to something else and see if that also stops the crashes.
    edited January 2016
    agb1 said:

To confirm: still no crashes if the wild mage is not in the party? Using EE Keeper, try changing the wild mage's kit to something else and see if that also stops the crashes.

That's correct. I can rest infinite amount of times if he's gone. Having him in the party restricts my rests to what I said above. I'll edit this post once I reach next level on the WM and get EE Keeper. (missing 4000 exp)
    edited January 2016
    Okay. @agb1 - here's what I've got. I got rid of my WM before entering Kresselack's Tomb, readded him and had functional rest ability until Temple of Forgotten God, where I crashed after saving
    -Resting right after loading the save gave me a crash right away. Didn't matter if I had a WM, Invoker, Trueclass Mage or any other one. Suspected culprit: held warrior. Got rid of that via EEKeeper. Same result.
    - Moving my characters to another area via the console allowed me to rest there without any issues. Moving them back fixed it as well.
    - I tried the aforementioned solutions with unmodified save file as well and got the same results.

Conclusion: Changing WM's kit to a different one didn't fix it.

I'm attaching 2 rars: one contains the save files used to perform a test, the other stores the dump files created this through crashing with these saves. Had to double post, because it won't let me attach the files.
    Post edited by Krotos on
    I don't know how to read the .dmp files, unfortunately, and I can't view your saved games properly in EEKeeper because I don't own a copy of IWD:EE.

It appears that you might have encountered a different problem -- earlier, removing the WM from the party resolved the crashes, but now you also crashed without a WM in the party. Correct?

The fact that moving to a different area makes a difference without any changes to your party suggests to me that the crash might be related to other creatures that were in the previous area. I think (but could be wrong about this) that when you MoveToArea, the game deletes any temporary creatures that were in the previous area.

Sometimes spells create invisible creatures as an technique for applying their effects. It might be that a spell you've been casting is not cleaning up correctly. This is pure speculation about possible reasons that switching areas without any other change could prevent crashes.
    edited January 2016
    agb1 said:

I don't know how to read the .dmp files, unfortunately, and I can't view your saved games properly in EEKeeper because I don't own a copy of IWD:EE.

It appears that you might have encountered a different problem -- earlier, removing the WM from the party resolved the crashes, but now you also crashed without a WM in the party. Correct?

The fact that moving to a different area makes a difference without any changes to your party suggests to me that the crash might be related to other creatures that were in the previous area. I think (but could be wrong about this) that when you MoveToArea, the game deletes any temporary creatures that were in the previous area.

Sometimes spells create invisible creatures as an technique for applying their effects. It might be that a spell you've been casting is not cleaning up correctly. This is pure speculation about possible reasons that switching areas without any other change could prevent crashes.

If that's the case, Wizard cantrips could be at fault then as I spam them on a regular basis. It's weird though as the cantrips don't have any invisible creature behind them. they just replace themselves after each cast.
    @subtledoctor - do the cantrips in Scales of Balance make use of invisible creatures?
    Did some further testing. This is getting a bit random.

I loaded the unchanged save, moved my party to Easthaven, moved them to the entrance to Orc Caverns, rested - boom, crash.

Did the same but I moved them back to Temple instead of resting - boom, crash.

I'm baffled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited January 2016

agb1 said:

@subtledoctor - do the cantrips in Scales of Balance make use of invisible creatures?

Nope. I spam cantrips all the time in my game - I ran a party of 6 wizards to Kuldahar, they relied very heavily on cantrips. There's basically no way they could cause this.

My suspicion: you have "BG2 Dungeon Be Gone" in your IWDEE mod list. Why? I've never played with that it or looked at it so I don't know how it works, but it's very possible it messes with area scripts and/or the main game script, in ways that IWDEE v1.4 doesn't like.

Other possibilities:

- Wild Mage Additions. Only because this all started with a Wild Mage. (Changing his kit doesn't mean you "don't have a Wild Mage in the party anymore." It means you have a Wild Mage who has started picking up abilities from another kit as well.) And it's an old mod that, if I'm not mistaken, was updated for the EEs by someone other than the original author, and thus not intimately familiar with its code. Could be bugs lurking there.

- Long shot, but maybe Generalized Biffing. On this game, with that mod list, it's not at all necessary. And I don't think it's been specifically tested with IWDEE. So it's introducing a risk for zero reward - therefore, don't use it.
    @BG 2 Dungeon Be Gone: I don't understand why it installs itself. It's not even on the list when I choose mods for IWDEE.

@Wild Mage Additions: Definitely nope. I ran it before all the additional mods and it caused no problems whatsoever. I had Scales of Balance and a plethora of other mods working with it before.

@Biffing: Maybe, but it's a neccesary component of BWS and cannot be deselected.
    Post edited by Krotos on
    The Dungeon Be Gone in the comment for setup-bws.tp2 is due to a formatting error in the BWS changelog. That mod is not actually installed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited January 2016
    The Divine Remix component doesn't seem to cause anything special, I think - there's an option to install new spells only if they don't overwrite spells from other mods. I will disable the rest (except for the companion) and see what's gonna happen - by the way the "save penalties" component isn't marked as experimental for IWD:EE.
    Post edited by Krotos on
    The Bottomless Bags tweak is not really bottomless (just a high limit) and can't be responsible for the crashes reported here because they were occurring even with empty inventory.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @Krotos Do the crashes occur if you rest with your entire party already at full health?
    kjeron said:

@Krotos Do the crashes occur if you rest with your entire party already at full health?

They occur regardless of my party's health status. I'm currently in the middle of reinstalling the mods so I will have to start a new playthrough.
    edited January 2016
    Okay, I don't know what the core of the issue is, but it really does seem to start in Vale of Shadows. I was able to rest non-stop until I entered Lysan's cave. I'm regularly quick saving as well so that could also be a problem.
    edited January 2016
    Interesting observation - I loaded an autosave before entering the cavern, saved, and loaded the save after having looted Lysan's crates. Boom, crash!

Loaded the autosave again. Entered the cavern, killed yetis. Looted crates item after item. Saved. Rested. No crashes!

I believe I might have somehow picked up one of the empty slots within the crates and just kept carrying the non-existant item with me. Will investigate further - sorry for a triple, just wanted to make it clear!

EDIT: Yup. Every time my mouse double-clicks an item or I pick an "empty slot" item up, the game starts crashing upon rest.

EDIT2: Apparently I crash every time I try to rest in Kresselack's 3rd level after the initial fight with the guards there. It has something to do with the creatures in there and what they drop as I was able to rest and quicksave without a crash after killing nothing but the enemies closest to the entrance.

EDIT3: Oh, this is interesting. I was associating the crashes with so many things, but I think @kjeron might have been right. The game crashes whenever I rest with a party member who ISN'T at full health. Anything else is irrelevant. It was something that was common throughout all the crashes and saves and I haven't noticed it. Now what could the issue be? @subtledoctor and his M&G mod grant NPCs slow hp regen over time if their condition is 18 or higher so perhaps resting messes something up? The crash happens if 2 or more characters are wounded.

EDIT4: Confirmed! I kept healing my party through the console hotkey and kept being able to rest as long as nobody was injured!
    Post edited by Krotos on
  • Legend15Legend15 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for this post I had the exact same problem and healing through console then resting worked fine for me too.