Skip to content

BG1NPC Bug Report and Discussion Thread

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
  • sandrolsandrol Member Posts: 31
    Thank you !
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269
    edited January 2016

Well, you could offer to help the mod author with the necessary changes to the code. I wouldn't make the revisions beforehand, just in case you get turned down.

@AstroBryGuy, let's not being paranoid here. You really think that some mod author would refuse EE-related critical patches? If yes, then those patches will endup inside BiG World Fixpack anyway so there is no need to scare people who want to contiribute to the mods community.

@Cahir Please continue you work and don't be scared.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    ALIEN said:

Well, you could offer to help the mod author with the necessary changes to the code. I wouldn't make the revisions beforehand, just in case you get turned down.

@AstroBryGuy, let's not being paranoid here. You really think that some mod author would refuse EE-related critical patches? If yes, then those patches will endup inside BiG World Fixpack anyway so there is no need to scare people who want to contiribute to the mods community.

Well, I could easily find example of mod author who doesn't want to have anything to do with EE and won't patch his mod to be EE-compatible (or even doesn't allow others to do it). So, it's not that simple. I think any modder have every right to do with his mod anything he wishes, even if it's basically forbidding players to play his mod in EE.
    NightWardenAstroBryGuyJuliusBorisov
    edited January 2016
    ALIEN said:

Yes, I could see that happening. Some people have very strong feelings about the Enhanced Editions. A mod author who has a strong dislike of the EEs (and/or a desire to not have deal with bug reports related to the EEs) could refuse to make such changes.

Personally, I don't use or care about BiG World Fixpack - it's Windows-only and I'm on OSX.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    edited January 2016

Personally, I don't use or care about BiG World Fixpack - it's Windows-only and I'm on OSX.

Not for long. We're testing a Linux and OSX version of the Fixpack script (patch is a universal tool after all).
    AstroBryGuy
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,269

@AstroBryGuy And you should! I really really didn't expect such low attitude from you concerning all you support for mods and fixing every lite bug for BG1NPC/BG1UB. You reply sounds like you denying the existence of something which provide essential patches for over 100 mods because the installer can't be run on OSX (patches itself are multi-platform). Those patches are sometimes necessary for some mods to even start trying install them on EE games. It's not fixpack fault that it doesn't support os which has <1% of players...
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2016

Post edited by GodKaiserHell on
    ThacoBell
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I don't like where it's going to. This is a thread about BG1NPC and BG1NPC Music Pack. Not about modders and their thinkings. Not about promoting mods and not promoting them. Not about Windows and OSX.

I would suggest to stop it and respect each other. Don't go off-topic and personal in you comments. Thanks.
    NightWardenAstroBryGuy
    bengoshi said:

I don't like where it's going to. This is a thread about BG1NPC and BG1NPC Music Pack. Not about modders and their thinkings. Not about promoting mods and not promoting them. Not about Windows and OSX.

I would suggest to stop it and respect each other. Don't go off-topic and personal in you comments. Thanks.

Agreed!

To get back on topic - do people use BG1NPC Music Pack? I've been kicking around ideas for making the music added behave like "music" in the game rather than "sounds" (i.e., so that the background music won't play over the BG1NPC music). Personally, I find the music "playover" distracting, so I've stopped using it.

This is complicated by the fact that SONGLIST.2DA cannot be extended beyond 100 slots on Tutu or BGT without ToBEx. So, any solution needs to maintain compatibility with the current code (i.e., replacing the PlaySound actions at install).
    JuliusBorisov
  • NightWardenNightWarden Member Posts: 62

Agreed!

To get back on topic - do people use BG1NPC Music Pack? I've been kicking around ideas for making the music added behave like "music" in the game rather than "sounds" (i.e., so that the background music won't play over the BG1NPC music). Personally, I find the music "playover" distracting, so I've stopped using it.

This is complicated by the fact that SONGLIST.2DA cannot be extended beyond 100 slots on Tutu or BGT without ToBEx. So, any solution needs to maintain compatibility with the current code (i.e., replacing the PlaySound actions at install).

I'm using and enjoying it.

I agree that it can be distracting, but not so much as to make me stop using it. I suppose it's like drinking a Cherry or Vanilla Coke...those who drink it enjoy the additional flavor and those who don't stay with the original.

It would be nice if the game music didn't play at the same time as the music pack, but from your description it sounds like a great deal of work would be necessary to make that happen.
  • sandrolsandrol Member Posts: 31
    I am also using it and really enjoying it,
    It add a more intimate dialog with the NPC and add the game its magic
    I use the short version's because i prefer that way
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I'd like to point out that thanks to @Utopolyst we can make all the portraits from the BG1NPC mod (and other mods) to show in the game in a much higher resolution.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/47066/the-picture-standard-for-bgee-and-bg2ee#latest
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Hello :)

How exactly do I start Garrick's quest?

I've explored the north of the Carnival map and found nothing but kobolds. Went to the map north of the Carnival (the one with the Xvarts attacking the cow) and found nothing. Went to Ulcaster and that's nothing unusual there.

Thanks @AstroBryGuy !
    Raduziel said:

Hello :)

How exactly do I start Garrick's quest?

I've explored the north of the Carnival map and found nothing but kobolds. Went to the map north of the Carnival (the one with the Xvarts attacking the cow) and found nothing. Went to Ulcaster and that's nothing unusual there.

Thanks @AstroBryGuy !

I don't know why the help docs say "north of the carnival at Nashkel". Looking at the script, the quest-starting character will appear here...

RaduzielJuliusBorisov
    Spawned right in the pinpointed spot, but it took some time. About 10 seconds.

For the NPC appear is mandatory to finish up the mines in Nashkel? Cause I'm pretty sure I was in the marked place before and nothing happened.

JuliusBorisov
    Now I'm having problems with Xan's quest, @AstroBryGuy

Went to the basilisks area, right to where the three fellows show up.

Let them go, followed the deer. Supported Xan. Killed the bad guys. And nothing happens. No dialog shows up, the elven ladies just say "Sahuagin Chieftain" and nothing else.

Can you help me over here

Here follows my game save if you want to take a look.

Just discovered what was happening: one of the guys was able to flee before I could kill him (he went to the fog and vanished, was nowhere in the map).

Done and done.
    Raduziel said:

Now I'm having problems with Xan's quest, @AstroBryGuy

Went to the basilisks area, right to where the three fellows show up.

Let them go, followed the deer. Supported Xan. Killed the bad guys. And nothing happens. No dialog shows up, the elven ladies just say "Sahuagin Chieftain" and nothing else.

Can you help me over here

The soundset issue you noted had been noted. I've fixed it on the BG1NPC repo, and it will be in the next release.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27822
    Raduziel said:

Just discovered what was happening: one of the guys was able to flee before I could kill him (he went to the fog and vanished, was nowhere in the map).

Done and done.

Did he leave the area, or just run away from you without leaving the area?
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    Does this mod add banters between the vanilla and EE NPCs?
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 107
    @AstroBryGuy Sorry if this has already been asked: what kind of havoc will the 2.0 patch have on the NPC mod? Not going to ask for a timeframe, but curious nonetheless if you think more work will be needed to get this running with the latest patch.
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    I sincerely hope this mod will work with the new versions of the game after SoD is released...it is a must have mod imo. Love it :)
  • KhanNovaKhanNova Member Posts: 12
    Hello @AstroBryGuy ! Hello all ! I have a question about Mal-Kalen in Unfinished Business ! It is possible to give him a corpse ? Because when i try to give him the corpse in ulcaster, he doesn't care and want to fight me.

I can just fight with him or i can save him with the corpse ?

Thank ! have a good day
    AKrugBier said:

Does this mod add banters between the vanilla and EE NPCs?

No.

@AstroBryGuy Sorry if this has already been asked: what kind of havoc will the 2.0 patch have on the NPC mod? Not going to ask for a timeframe, but curious nonetheless if you think more work will be needed to get this running with the latest patch.

No idea yet. Hopefully not much. SoD will make the ending cut-scene of the Dynaheir Romance redundant.
    edited March 2016
    KhanNova said:

Hello @AstroBryGuy ! Hello all ! I have a question about Mal-Kalen in Unfinished Business ! It is possible to give him a corpse ? Because when i try to give him the corpse in ulcaster, he doesn't care and want to fight me.

I can just fight with him or i can save him with the corpse ?

Thank ! have a good day

Wrong thread - ask on the BG1UB thread please.

EDIT: I see that you also posted there.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416

Not sure if you're still looking for feedback, but I do use the Music Pack, and it being actually music would be awfully nice!
    Thels said:
    To get back on topic - do people use BG1NPC Music Pack? I've been kicking around ideas for making the music added behave like "music" in the game rather than "sounds" (i.e., so that the background music won't play over the BG1NPC music). Personally, I find the music "playover" distracting, so I've stopped using it. This is complicated by the fact that SONGLIST.2DA cannot be extended beyond 100 slots on Tutu or BGT without ToBEx. So, any solution needs to maintain compatibility with the current code (i.e., replacing the PlaySound actions at install).
    Not sure if you're still looking for feedback, but I do use the Music Pack, and it being actually music would be awfully nice!
    I've been thinking about it off-and-on. The two issues:

1) how to script it - since Tutu/BGT installs without ToBEx don't have enough "music" slots available, I want to leave the current "sounds" method as default. That means I need to be able to replace those commands at install (since I *really* don't want to maintain two versions of every file with an audio command).

2) the files - AFAIK, music files need to be in ACM format, so file conversion needs to be done. I found an old SND2ACM.EXE program for Windows, and I hope it will work under Wine.

However, the current .ogg files are rather low bitrate - i.e., under 64 kbps (some closer to half that!). Ogg Vorbis "quality 3" is typically 112 kbps (comparable in sound quality to a 128 kbps MP3 file). This was done when BG1NPC Music was created to save download size (the same reason it was made a separate mod from BG1NPC). Of course, this makes the current ogg files poor "masters" for re-compression to ACM (think a copy of someone's old mixtape recorded off the radio :wink:). Basically, the audio files would need new higher-bitrate "masters" for conversion to ACM.

It's good to know some people do use BG1NPC Music. If I can script the install properly, I'll look at the ACM conversion.
  • NightWardenNightWarden Member Posts: 62

I've been thinking about it off-and-on. The two issues:

1) how to script it - since Tutu/BGT installs without ToBEx don't have enough "music" slots available, I want to leave the current "sounds" method as default. That means I need to be able to replace those commands at install (since I *really* don't want to maintain two versions of every file with an audio command).

2) the files - AFAIK, music files need to be in ACM format, so file conversion needs to be done. I found an old SND2ACM.EXE program for Windows, and I hope it will work under Wine.

However, the current .ogg files are rather low bitrate - i.e., under 64 kbps (some closer to half that!). Ogg Vorbis "quality 3" is typically 112 kbps (comparable in sound quality to a 128 kbps MP3 file). This was done when BG1NPC Music was created to save download size (the same reason it was made a separate mod from BG1NPC). Of course, this makes the current ogg files poor "masters" for re-compression to ACM (think a copy of someone's old mixtape recorded off the radio :wink:). Basically, the audio files would need new higher-bitrate "masters" for conversion to ACM.

It's good to know some people do use BG1NPC Music. If I can script the install properly, I'll look at the ACM conversion.

I'm sure I speak for many when I tell you how much I appreciate the time and hard work you've invested into making these mods available for others to enjoy.
    kaguana
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    edited March 2016
    Yeah honestly all the technical stuff goes way over my head....but I just wanted to put in my two cents and say thanks so much for making this mod. It really helps to bring the characters to life (the only area in bg1 that I thought was a bit lacking). It is fantastic and very much appreciated :)