Skip to content

Dual-classing Imoen to a mage (SPOILER ALERT FOR BGII:EE)

2»

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    jackjack said:

Yeah, there are still people discovering this series and that is a major plot twist. It's simple courtesy :)

I do get that, but seriously, we have a whole "New Players" category that's tagged "no spoilers".
    People just picking up the game should proceed with caution, I'd call that common sense.

Next we'll be banned from saying who's Darth Vador's kids or that Gilgamesh must fail in his quest for immortality...
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Spoilers in this forum are really difficult to control if you ask me exactly because it is a link between two games.
    Ironically the topic in itself is a huge spoiler to players who do not know BG2. It's also funny that one poster makes a point against spoiling happenings around Yoshimo and inadvertedly spoils that you need to save Imoen in BG2. (no offense :) )
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Quite true. I've added a spoiler alert tag to this entire thread, with that in mind.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    I'm with @atcDave and @Lifat on this one. I think 15 years on the original -- and however long it has been since the EE came out -- is enough time. Imagine what the forum would look like if we were to spoiler every thread on this forum where someone mentioned Sarevok as a party member.

Also, Darth is Luke's father.

And @Dee thanks for the detailed reply. The transition in locked but I'm glad to learn that we had the same idea for keeping Imoen as the thief I remember from all of my BG1 parties.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    The 15 years statement is perfectly true.
    However the enhanced editions and SoD were not created to have only oldtimers return to bg and replay them. They were made to attract new players as well. With that in mind i fully understand the 'these are spoilers' claims and support the notion that at least some thought might be placed into writings.

Poster discretion is advised.
    "Don't spoil the fun" is also one of this site's rules. Respect it.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Really, people, I've adressed it on the previous page. We have a rule, and the rule cannot be questioned.

Actually, the moment SoD is released, it would be better if any thread discussing actual spoilers from it came with "SoD Spoilers!" caution.
    @bengoshi You are one of the most helpful people on the forums but you are Lawful Good. Statements like "the rule cannot be questioned" just don't compute for Chaotic Good characters. :)

And "I've adressed it" implies that the 'adressor' is an authority. You are BG fan on the internet, I'm a BG fan on the internet and our interactions are horizontal. You say things, I say things. Our statements carry the same weight and are only made weightier by our eloquence and / or ability to back up claims with evidence. (of course that criteria probably makes your posts weightier because you are less prone to typos and grammar-scrambles than I am) :)

No one is saying that spoiler tags shouldn't be used -- but

1. BG2EE was released what, two years ago? Can I not yet talk about the movie Guardians of the Galaxy?

2. Yes we shouldn't spoil the fun -- but this just isn't a good application of the rule and the bad application of the rule spoils the fun

Take a look at this search:

https://forums.beamdog.com/search?Page=p1&Search=sarevok

I can find at least one post per page that could be 'spoiler-ed'
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    I think doing as Dee has done, just putting "spoiler [optionally for which game] in the title is enough. Anyone who doesn't want spoilers can immediately see that they shouldn't go in that thread, and the thread itself can continue to spoiler away inside without affecting anyone who doesn't want it.

It's seriously all of 10 seconds work tops, and it makes the world a better place.. Minsc would approve!

@bengoshi You are one of the most helpful people on the forums but you are Lawful Good. Statements like "the rule cannot be questioned" just don't compute for Chaotic Good characters. :)

And "I've adressed it" implies that the 'adressor' is an authority. You are BG fan on the internet, I'm a BG fan on the internet and our interactions are horizontal. You say things, I say things. Our statements carry the same weight and are only made weightier by our eloquence and / or ability to back up claims with evidence. (of course that criteria probably makes your posts weightier because you are less prone to typos and grammar-scrambles than I am) :)

No one is saying that spoiler tags shouldn't be used -- but

1. BG2EE was released what, two years ago? Can I not yet talk about the movie Guardians of the Galaxy?

2. Yes we shouldn't spoil the fun -- but this just isn't a good application of the rule and the bad application of the rule spoils the fun

Take a look at this search:

https://forums.beamdog.com/search?Page=p1&Search=sarevok

I can find at least one post per page that could be 'spoiler-ed'

Bengoshi is a moderator of the site. His word should carry the same weight as any member of the site staff when it comes to the rules.
    I have enormous respect for Benghoshi -- indeed I have more respect for him than I do for the staff of any site I site I visit. My respect is based in an appreciation for the kindness he shows to others, his insights into the fantasy genre and his good taste -- we like the same video games, movies and such. If I recognized him on the basis of his status as *staff* my response his statement would have quite different; I like him *despite* the badge. Likewise my respect for you comes from my appreciation for the attitude of patient restraint your messages convey and for your ability to steer conversations in productive directions.

I do not, however, have much regard for the *sentiment* that rules should not be questioned.

In any case, we are chasing a red herring. No one in this thread is questioning that spoiler tags have their place or that one should add the words 'spoiler' to threads that are likely to contain spoilers. The question is "when does the spoiler period expire"?

While I avoid saying (star wars spoiler)
    Rey is force sensitive
    in threads not marked 'spoiler' I won't do so at this time next year. The game has been out for some time . . .
  • KorbuKorbu Member Posts: 61
    edited February 2016

I'm with @atcDave and @Lifat on this one. I think 15 years on the original -- and however long it has been since the EE came out -- is enough time. Imagine what the forum would look like if we were to spoiler every thread on this forum where someone mentioned Sarevok as a party member.

Also, Darth is Luke's father.

And @Dee thanks for the detailed reply. The transition in locked but I'm glad to learn that we had the same idea for keeping Imoen as the thief I remember from all of my BG1 parties.

Here's another spoiler.
    In Final Fantasy 7, Aeris unavoidably and permanently dies. Gonna be interesting watching the "Should this be spoiler tagged" threads on that, since Final Fantasy 7 is being remade as well. It will probably be finished 20+ years after the original.

The whole debate on "Do Spoilers have Expiration Dates?" is pretty interesting, and may be worth it's own thread to avoid derailing this one any further.