Skip to content

Spell Turning Reflects Improved Haste

See title. Spell Turning from the book of infinite Spells turned my attempts at improved haste on my PC. don't know if that is a bug of default behavior of the spell. I have SCS installed maybe its that....

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Spell Turning bounces single-target spells from level 1 to level 7. Improved Haste is a level 6 spell that in some versions strikes as a level 3 spell. In either case, it will be reflected. This is intended behavior.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Yep, it will also reflect back other single target buffs like protection from fire, spirit armor, or even priestly spells like death ward, chaotic commands, etc.
    Thus you always buff with spell turning the last, if you plan to lay on buffs from another caster.
  • biffyclangerbiffyclanger Member Posts: 216
    ok thx guys, logically as a protection spell it shouldn't reflect your own spells but oh well...
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    One thing is your own spells, another is spells casted at you (by enemies or party members).
    Another completely different thing is spells or items that prevent some effects, like free action from FoA+5 prevents IH to have effect if casted on the welder, in this case IH is not reflected, its effect is prevented.
    And another is "party friendliness" of some spells, that prevent the negative effect of some spells from affecting the allies.
    BG2 magic system is complicated and such differences are relevant.

To really understand how it works you have to think as a modder or programmer. This spell apply the xx opcode at the xx conditions so.....
    I never really get into this, not my way to play the game, and I think that is possible to have a good but not perfect knowldge of the magic system without getting there, but understand some basic differences like the ones above helped me a lot. And I have still a lot to learn before i'll go to that "programmer level", if i'll ever get there.
    There are so many little quirks like this in this game. Its part of the appeal i guess.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

Spell Turning bounces single-target spells from level 1 to level 7.

@semiticgod Umm... I have used spell turning to bounce Imprisonment back onto someone. I am pretty sure that the spell bounces all levels of spells in an unmodded game. I suppose SCS could have changed that though...
    I wonder if SCS AI will try to dispel your spell turning before trying any funny business.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Tresset: You're right. I was thinking of Minor Spell Turning and Minor Spell Deflection, which only cover level 1-7 spells.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    edited January 2016
    Tresset said:

Spell Turning bounces single-target spells from level 1 to level 7.

@semiticgod Umm... I have used spell turning to bounce Imprisonment back onto someone. I am pretty sure that the spell bounces all levels of spells in an unmodded game. I suppose SCS could have changed that though...
    Not changed by SCS. Able to bounce spells up to level nine.
    And btw it does not bounce all single target spells (spells cast against this protection for instance...)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    So let me get this straight ... the book got improved hasted instead of you?

What can an improved hasted book do?
    edited February 2016
    DJKajuru said:

So let me get this straight ... the book got improved hasted instead of you?

What can an improved hasted book do?

Errr... Flip faster than you can read?? No the IH was bounced back to the the caster.