Skip to content

Amulet of Power disappears?

NeoNeo Member Posts: 127
I've been taking my time and doing all of the side quests before rushing through the story so I still have maybe 2-3 NPC quests to do before heading to the graveyard to fight the vampire guild (Chapter 2 or 3 I forget). I've done the sewers part, the Guarded Compound and was just finishing the quest with the prison on an other plane (portal from the theatre crew).

I then noticed that my Amulet of Power was gone. It has been on my Charname (Inquisitor) ever since I got it and was looking forward to it being on him so he doesn't get level drained once I start facing vampires (and the insta cast dispells/no silence were nice bonuses). I'm pretty sure I never took it off and it's not like it dropped on the ground and I didn't pick it back up after dying cause if this character dies, I need to reload. It's nowhere in any of my characters' inventories or amulet slots nor my gem bag.

I had a save that was when I was doing the Beholder part in the sewers and it was still there but I don't feel like going back this far (I'll just continue without it or play my Sorcerer instead). I know that there was a mob in the Guarded Compound that was eating charges off my wands that I had on Aerie (I reloaded a few times to avoid this as much as possible). Is it possible that an enemy destroyed this item somehow and I just didn't notice it? If so, which one should I have looked for?

Is it a common bug and I should be looking to make sure it's still on there every now and then when I save?

I'm not running any mods. I play BG2 EE and I installed that game on my laptop about 4 months ago so I doubt that it's cause I missed a patch that came out long ago to fix this kind of thing. The only amulet I can think of that I could have replaced it with at one point would have been the Harper one but I switched it back afterwards (as I still had it when facing Beholders in the sewers).

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Several possibilities.

1: You threw it away by accident. Stuff happens.

2: You put it somewhere by mistake, then forgot about it. Memory's a fickle thing, I completely forgot my 1st point already.

3: A strange bug I've never heard of. Not impossible by any means.

4: You failed a morale check and threw it on the ground, then didn't notice you did and moved on. Not sure this happens in BG and that I'm not confusing this with IWD.

Nothing I know of in the game goes and destroys items you have on you. That would just be mean.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I've seen item deletion happen in a heavily-modded game of mine. It happened in a Scroll Case and also in a Bag of Holding, with items I never took out of the containers, which rules out 1, 2, and 4. But I have no idea what causes it.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    @semiticgod He specifically said he's not running any mods. Obviously mods are always at the top of the list and the default go-to, but this can't be the case here.
  • NeoNeo Member Posts: 127
    Hm.. thanks for the answer. It's strange cause I'm 99.9% sure that I haven't taken it off (I just put it on this character and never replaced it at the exception of perhaps the Harper's amulet as I said but on my older save, I still have Amulet of Power and that was way passed the Harper's quest I had done). I might continue on my Sorcerer's save instead and see if it happens again. I guess if nothing destroys it, it shouldn't happen again.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Nishruu or Hakeashar, OP told
    "I know that there was a mob in the Guarded Compound that was eating charges off my wands"
    and in GC there is one of the 2, I don't remember which one. In original vanilla they eat also enchanted items, not only spells and charges. I had lost bracers AC3 and other stuff for this in the past. It was changed in ToB, I don't know how it is in EE.

Is only a possible reason n.5 after the 4 given by @Lord_Tansheron, that are very possible.
    Yea, this is the most likely thing that would have happened cause I tried to block this mob with my Inquisitor and all I did between the sewers with Beholders quest line and the prison from other plane was the guarded compound. I'll see if it happens again but I don't feel like reloading many quests back and losing this item when it's a great one just before fighting mobs that have level drain kind of sucks.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

He specifically said he's not running any mods.

That's the reason I specifically said my game was modded. It would be silly for me not to point out the difference between our situations.

But even though our situations are different, it's entirely possible we have the same problem. If it's a vanilla bug, then both of our games are susceptible to it. My mods aren't necessarily the cause.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    edited January 2016
    I think i know what happened; during the Unseeing Eye Quest in the map where there is the temple of Amaunator you can fight Wandering Horrors that can cause to drop things for moral failure.
    It happened to me, i lost the Robe of Vecna once. If you didn't rest a lot and not much time passed the Amulet could still be there (it's just north the start of the area,close to the entrance)
    Daevelon said:

I think i know what happened; during the Unseeing Eye Quest in the map where there is the temple of Amaunator you can fight Wandering Horrors that can cause to drop things for moral failure.
    It happened to me, i lost the Robe of Vecna once. If you didn't rest a lot and not much time passed the Amulet could still be there (it's just north the start of the area,close to the entrance)

Ah, that could be likely. Unfortunately I saved past it after that cause I didn't feel like redoing the Beholder/Guarded Compound and fix all of the gear. I'll watch for it on my other character though once I get to that point.
    Neo said:

I'll watch for it on my other character though once I get to that point.

Maybe I misunderstand what you mean, but with your other character, a charname in a different run, it will be no there, items dropped on ground are recorded in the savegames, not in the game itself. Ohter way the more you play the more the game would be filled with dropped items.
    So run there with the actual character and not with the other, run because items on the ground (quest items excluded) fade away after a certain time.

Neo said:

I'll watch for it on my other character though once I get to that point.

Maybe I misunderstand what you mean, but with your other character, a charname in a different run, it will be no there, items dropped on ground are recorded in the savegames, not in the game itself. Ohter way the more you play the more the game would be filled with dropped items.
    So run there with the actual character and not with the other, run because items on the ground (quest items excluded) fade away after a certain time.

lol, I meant it as in keeping an eye to make sure I don't drop items when facing such mobs. I went back to try to look for the amulet on my Inquisitor and could not find it anywhere.
    ok
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Daevelon said:

I would say this is exactly how that happened, always be careful of fear spells, even if you are immune to fear ( whether it be abilities or spells) sometimes characters will drop items, so always keep that TAB key handy around caster casting fear effects

and worse case scenario you can always summon in the amulet of power using the cheat console, in practicality you aren't necessarily cheating since you would have put it back on if you knew it was off

• Keith1309Keith1309 Member Posts: 2
    The same thing happened to me. it disappeared at the end of chapter 3. I reloaded just before arebeth and mogrim teleport out. I finished the battle and it was there. I saved it and the continued to chapter 4 and POOF... it was gone. Just to make sure it was repeatable I reloaded the game I saved and there it was. Then went to chapter 4 and POOF ... gone again.
  • Keith1309Keith1309 Member Posts: 2
    I tried exporting and starting a new game and it didn't matter. The game remove a list of items from your inventory. Item lost " Amulet of power" It is not a bug it is obviously something that was programmatically removed. Why the heck they would do that is beyond me. There is no reason to do so. It is not a plot item like all the other items that are removed.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Keith1309 said:

The same thing happened to me. it disappeared at the end of chapter 3. I reloaded just before arebeth and mogrim teleport out. I finished the battle and it was there. I saved it and the continued to chapter 4 and POOF... it was gone. Just to make sure it was repeatable I reloaded the game I saved and there it was. Then went to chapter 4 and POOF ... gone again.

Please, report on support.baldursgate.com as you seem to have a reproable case.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Neo said:

I've been taking my time and doing all of the side quests before rushing through the story so I still have maybe 2-3 NPC quests to do before heading to the graveyard to fight the vampire guild (Chapter 2 or 3 I forget). I've done the sewers part, the Guarded Compound and was just finishing the quest with the prison on an other plane (portal from the theatre crew).

I then noticed that my Amulet of Power was gone. It has been on my Charname (Inquisitor) ever since I got it and was looking forward to it being on him so he doesn't get level drained once I start facing vampires (and the insta cast dispells/no silence were nice bonuses). I'm pretty sure I never took it off and it's not like it dropped on the ground and I didn't pick it back up after dying cause if this character dies, I need to reload. It's nowhere in any of my characters' inventories or amulet slots nor my gem bag.

I had a save that was when I was doing the Beholder part in the sewers and it was still there but I don't feel like going back this far (I'll just continue without it or play my Sorcerer instead). I know that there was a mob in the Guarded Compound that was eating charges off my wands that I had on Aerie (I reloaded a few times to avoid this as much as possible). Is it possible that an enemy destroyed this item somehow and I just didn't notice it? If so, which one should I have looked for?

Is it a common bug and I should be looking to make sure it's still on there every now and then when I save?

I'm not running any mods. I play BG2 EE and I installed that game on my laptop about 4 months ago so I doubt that it's cause I missed a patch that came out long ago to fix this kind of thing. The only amulet I can think of that I could have replaced it with at one point would have been the Harper one but I switched it back afterwards (as I still had it when facing Beholders in the sewers).

Do you have Neera in your party? I believe one of her wild surges causes items of yours to disappear.

Also, there are times when you will be given an item, and the game deems it so "necessary" that (if your inventory is full) it will force you to drop an item to make room for the new one. However, I only see this happen with unequipped items in your inventory, not equipped ones, so this is unlikely IMO.

• Oswald81Oswald81 Member Posts: 63
    I would guess it can just evaporate if they have the too many item-bug that followed the relative Fallout 2. As its fairly likely as much of the engine is the same and such.