Skip to content

A new screenshot approaches!

Comments

• BG2BG2 Member Posts: 19
    I registered just so I can say, first of all, I'm very excited to be able to play my favorite series on the go and cannot wait for the 18th!!

Second, and the real reason I registered, is to give my opinion on the UI. I can live with everything, I think, except with the dialog box being so small. I really feel it needs to be the same width as the UI, or at LEAST big enough to get more than 1 2/3 lines of text displayed at one time!

I know it was posted that it wasn't going to be changed, but I really think you need to reconsider. It will be a pain to read as it is. Hopefully you guys have enough time to playtest your UI alot before release.
    The_New_Romance
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    edited September 2012
    I am a bit disappointed, also, with this screenshot. I was so looking forward to a major improvement, but unfortunately, this looks to be a step backward in a few ways. The text box looks much smaller, the contrast in the colors is noticeable to the point of distraction, and the portraits do not blend together well (in terms of color saturation), as @The_New_Romance mentioned. The screenshots released for the iPad look quite a bit superior, but still not ideal. I did really like what @Bercon changed around. In fact, nearly every screenshot posted by the fans here look superior, and that is upsetting. I really hope that there will be a way for us to modify the UI easily (perhaps a snap-into-place kind of system, similar to what some MMORPG's have done?) or a color changer.

All that said, I am still very excited for this game and am so happy and grateful for this project. But, as an unfavorable UI can have such a pervasive influence throughout a gaming experience, I would be remiss if I did not drop in my two cents, to hope for some modifications here in crunch time.
    KharadorThe_New_RomanceIndyDevgeorgelappies
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited September 2012
    I think that the new GUI looks rather... 'simple'.

When I compare it to the Old GUI I can see that the old one was more '3D-Like' stone with cracks and not even while in the new GUI the stone looks too smooth, like Shape Fill->Texture that you use in Word/Power Point - you can notice that the bottom left texture and the bottom right texture looks the same.

Oh.. And in my opinion the Bluish Grey - Gold combination isn't a good one, on the other hand I don't like Avocado so my opinion doesn't hold much value :-p

Post edited by mch202 on
    lordkim
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    @Knettgummi dude that's seriously awesome! Hope it's achievable post release!
    KnettgummiLaflammeJalilyIndyDev
  • CleaveCleave Member Posts: 32
    BG2 said:

Second, and the real reason I registered, is to give my opinion on the UI. I can live with everything, I think, except with the dialog box being so small. I really feel it needs to be the same width as the UI, or at LEAST big enough to get more than 1 2/3 lines of text displayed at one time!

I think the little arrows next to the dialog box lets you refit the dialog box's size. from 1 line, to 3, to 5 or more if i recall correctly. at least in BG2 thats how it worked. So no worries there.
  • jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    The dialogue box is to small if it can't be enlarged. The positioning of the interface seems fine to me, the color is ok, but not my preference. The screen shot itself does not show any improvement to the game, and certainly not worth $18. Lets hope it looks better in real life.
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    : I actually like the new dialogue box:
    FelixAlkalurops
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    jpierce55 said:

The screen shot itself does not show any improvement to the game

Of course that "The screen shot itself does not show any improvement to the game" - the big most of the improvement isn't visual, what did you expect?

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    jpierce55 said:

The dialogue box is to small if it can't be enlarged

It can be enlarged, just like in the vanilla games.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    Cleave said:

I think the little arrows next to the dialog box lets you refit the dialog box's size. from 1 line, to 3, to 5 or more if i recall correctly. at least in BG2 thats how it worked. So no worries there.

Yup.

Anton
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    Cool. can't wait to see these in game!
  • mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2012
    The screenshot seems to confirm what I have read elsewhere, in that non-warrior classes will no longer have the "guard" icon available via the GUI. What will be the mechanism for selecting the guard action for such classes?

Edit: I've just realised that the Guard option was dropped for non-warriors in BG2 anyway. The change now makes sense given that the BG2 engine is being used.
    Post edited by mister_ennui on
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I'm inclined to agree with @Koson about the panel colours. Why not use the original BG design for the interface, and the original BG2 design for the interface in BG2:EE? I would much prefer that, personally! :)
    The_New_RomanceJalily
  • Hi_Its_Me_Imoen1Hi_Its_Me_Imoen1 Member Posts: 15
    I really like it, including the blue colour (what's everyone got against blue?). There a a few little things I wouldn't mind adjustments on eg. the right border line going all the way to the bottom, portrait borders and maybe the dialogue box alittle wider to take up the blank space either side. But overall, much love.
    AurenRavidel
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    Interesting, the iPad screenie clearly shows borders between all the character portraits. That was my only peeve about the PC image. So either the design is still in the works or is very customizable.

Or is the iPad picture not from the EE at all? I'm so confused.
  • StrangeCatStrangeCat Member Posts: 39
    hey thanks or sharing a new picture. Looks fine. I am sure you can make the dialog box wider .
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Best part of this is the fact that this confirms that you can have all new characters in party at the same time and dont have to slay neera to get dorn and vica versa.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    edited September 2012
    It's nice to have a new screenshot. I'm liking what I'm seeing. The UI looks good to me, I can't wait to see the finished product. Though I'm wondering will there be an option to change the colour scheme or look of the UI ourselves without a mod?

Though I do think BG2 looks better than BG1 for the most part, I've got to say, Imoen does look a bit odd without her hood.

@PhillipDaigle I also appreciate getting to see more of Dorn in action, but I can't help but think he should look more like his avatar and other artwork we've seen of him. Is there any chance we can pick up a set of armour that has the same black colour scheme as his art and avatar for him to wear? All you would need is a set of armour like any other in game, but using his colour scheme.
    raywind said:

Best part of this is the fact that this confirms that you can have all new characters in party at the same time and dont have to slay neera to get dorn and vica versa.

I wouldn't read too much into that. I haven't seen the devs themselves actually say that. They could just be simply testing out the characters here and seeing how they play. Things like party interactions could be disabled, we don't really know. Though if I were to guess I'd say that it would probably be possible to have all three in one party with not too much trouble (I would personally like to see some form of conflict to arise between the new NPC's under the right circumstances).
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289

Interesting, the iPad screenie clearly shows borders between all the character portraits. That was my only peeve about the PC image. So either the design is still in the works or is very customizable.

The iPad screen is from a few months ago. It's possible they got rid of the portrait borders later.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    I like the blue background. Ever since I played Gears of War, I have an extreme hatred of grey and brown.
  • gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
    Dam, it looks great. There is nothing for me to whine and bitch about.
    Felix
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2012
    @raywind @RedGuard Actually they have said that. I asked them (at the AMAA) if it was possible to have all 3 in the same party for the duration of the entire game and they said it's possible even if they will bicker but a mean spirited player will get the opportunity to try to make them fight (maybe through dialogue - my speculation)

About the UI:
    Plusses:
    I love blue gold color scheme. It looks sharp and fresh.
    Minuses:
    Is Neera's pink portrait the reason Imoen is in the party? :P (j/k) Because her portrait still stands out. :) Dorn and Rasaad's portraits blend in almost perfectly but Neera's portrait looks as if it was passed through a pink filter at the end :)
    A border around the portraits would be a welcome addition. With all the space available from using the whole screen an extra 6(3-3) pixels in height and width per portrait wouldn't destroy the layout too much, would it? Or perhaps including the border in a container holding it and a slightly smaller picture, or even overlaying it on the picture... none of the character portraits have important 'parts' in the margin (eg. an eye or a nose ^_^)
    @PhillipDaigle Questions:
    Can the extra space on the bottom bar be used to place extra icons (through a settings menu)? If not, can it be modded to hold extra icons?
    RedGuard
  • KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    edited September 2012
    Honestly, I couldn't give two sh**s about what color the UI is. My focus is on the area where the action is. Even then, I really like the UI. The mixing of gold with blue looks very fresh to me. It gives some life to the screen.

I feel a lot of people are being overly picky about this.
  • FelixFelix Member Posts: 39
    wow! People know how to bitch hey! I love what Overhaul has done it looks fantastic! Can't wait to play this.
    TheGrapeTyphlosion