Skip to content

If you're a writer, programmer, or have a passion for QA, and love IE games, Beamdog can hire you

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

https://www.beamdog.com/jobs

CURRENT OPENINGS

Programmer - Edmonton, Alberta

Beamdog, the company behind Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, is in search of a Programmer. You'll work as part of a tightly-knit team where you'll have a voice—not be a small cog in a large corporate machine. Beamdog has just announced its first project created entirely in-house, the expansion Siege of Dragonspear, and more original content is on the horizon. If you'd like the chance to work with top-notch writers, artists, programmers, and developers in the video game industry, this is the job for you.

RESPONSIBILITIES
Our Programmers participate in the development of games on multiple platforms by programming, debugging, optimizing, and offering analysis and problem-solving skills for our games. These developers may program different game modules, program the necessary tools for other teams, and work closely with other departments to implement each element. Excellent communication and teamwork skills are a must, including a positive approach to problem-solving.

REQUIREMENTS:
The right candidate for this role must have a mid-level technical and game development background. Essential skill requirements for this position include:

Degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science, preferably focused on game development
2+ years’ xp in game development (hobby development experience may qualify)
Experience in core engine development, networking, mobile development or tools development
Knowledge of the technical Pipeline and all the process needed to make a game
Excellent communication abilities: active listening skills, accessible verbal and written presentation
Comfortable in an Agile development environment
Keen personal interest in video games with a solid knowledge of the field
All qualified candidates must pass a technical test as part of the interview process for this role.

Job Type: Full-time

Submit all resumes and documents to hr@beamdog.com or todd@beamdog.com

Senior Game Writer / Editor - Edmonton, Alberta

We are looking for a Senior Game Writer & Editor to work on upcoming Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms computer role playing games. Your experience as a published and professional writer will help you drive creative initiatives that include coming up with exciting new role playing game settings, characters and cinematics.

You will help guide a team of professional writers to new heights of greatness and help establish Beamdog as the continuing worldwide leader in deep, engaging computer role playing games.

RESPONSIBILITIES
Write non-linear stories and dialogue that is deeply rooted in the Forgotten Realms, that take player agnecy and freedom into account.
Design engaging and high quality gameplay scenarios.
Work with writers to make sure written content is engaging, technically sound, proof-read and finished in a timely manner.
Mentor other creative designers and writers in their craft.
Help conceptualize and guide creative proposals for new stories, games and characters.
Work with multidisciplinary team members to best deliver on creative vision.
Represent Beamdog at events via panels and interactions with fans.
Be proactive in communicating progress and resolution of problems.
Create documentation and prototypes for specific and exploratory game systems.
Collaborate and critique with gameplay teams to evaluate and improve upon existing systems.

QUALIFICATIONS:
You must have a passion for video games and understand interactive storytelling.
Excellent knowledge of RPGs, current technology and tools, design concepts and game balancing.
College degree in a related field.
Ability to work collaboratively with team members from different locations and different disciplines.
2+ years of professional interactive storytelling experience.
You must have shipped at least one game.
Authorized to work in Canada.
Willing to work locally in Edmonton, Alberta

APPLICATIONS:
Include a sample of creative writing.
Include a sample of non-linear or interactive storytelling.

Quality Assurance Lead - Edmonton, Alberta

Beamdog, the company behind Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, is in search of a Quality Assurance Lead. You'll work as part of a tightly-knit team where you'll have a voice—not be a small cog in a large corporate machine. Beamdog has just announced its first project created entirely in-house, the expansion Siege of Dragonspear, and more original content is on the horizon. If you'd like the chance to work with top-notch writers, artists, programmers, and developers in the video game industry, this is the job for you.

RESPONSIBILITIES
Establish company testing practices and possess a strong understanding of various testing methodologies.
Collaborate with team leads, producers and partners accross the company and its projects.
Implement tech solutions, such as scripts and automation.
Act as department mentor.
Coordinate with external testing teams and publishing partners.

REQUIREMENTS:
A bachelor's degree, preferably in a technical discipline such as Computer Science.
2+ years of lead or management experience in game development or software QA.
4+ years in game development or software QA.
At least 2 shipped titles.
Strong understanding of live updates and emerging technologies.
Expertise with bug tracking tools and databases.
Deep knowledge of testing methodologies, such as performance testing, balance testing, test driven development, unit testing and compatibility testing.
Experience in team-building and in working with new, inexperienced testers.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.

Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• BenArledgeBenArledge Member Posts: 34
    Sorry for the URL change. We wanted to get rid of the long wall of job details. Each post now has its own unique URL. https://www.beamdog.com/jobs
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Is @AndrewFoley being replaced? Is he moving on to bigger (can't get better though) things?

I would love to work as a writer for beamdog. Just not senior writer. Not enough experience anywhere.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I hope they get Chris Avellone to stay. Wouldn't that be cool?
    My favourite word in the job descriptions is UPCOMING.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Believe you me, I'd apply as Beamdog's Janitor if I could.
    Meta-phyisical issue : There's no area travel option if I leave my house, with party or without;
    Solution : hire Saemon Havarin. Hope he'll bring me over seas!
    Likely possibility : Get to Atlantis instead... :(
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Experience: yes
    Knowledgeable: yes
    Interested: sure
    Need to move to canada: no can do :$. My wife has a great job. Will never ask her to leave.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    @bengoshi, you tease you...
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    I would LOVE to be a writer, but I am nowhere near Edmonton, so it's not possible for me at all...
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159

I would LOVE to be a writer, but I am nowhere near Edmonton, so it's not possible for me at all...

Same. Sad on the US East Coast here. Gonna go cry now...

• jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    Hasn't David Gaider (sp) just left Bioware?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    ^^^ Read a few posts above this ^^^
    Oops! Great news Though!
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    jobby said:

Great news Though!

He just lost his job you *insensitive imp*! :lol:
  • LoveViconiaLoveViconia Member Posts: 196
    edited February 2016
    ohoh

Post edited by LoveViconia on
    I prefer to think that he left for greener pastures :)
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    SethDavis said:

you know... I don't think we have one O_o

Amber has informed me that we do indeed have cleaning staff
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    SethDavis said:

SethDavis said:

you know... I don't think we have one O_o

Amber has informed me that we do indeed have cleaning staff
    It's always the newest member of the team, right?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Hey, those living in Edmonton!

Beamdog has opened a position of an Office Assistant.

"You'll work as part of a tightly-knit team where you'll have a voice—not be a small cog in a large corporate machine. Beamdog has just announced its first project created entirely in-house, the expansion Siege of Dragonspear, and more original content is on the horizon. If you'd like the chance to work with top-notch writers, artists, programmers, and developers in the video game industry, this is the job for you.

Responsibilities:

Collect information, compose and submit documentation to business partners
    Maintain supplies by checking and refilling stock
    Source, procure and pick up computer equipment.
    Collect and mail correspondence
    Fill in documentation and reports
    Scan, copy and email documents
    Assist with event planning and implementation
    Handle office organization and upkeep of meeting rooms.
    Assist in maintaining production schedules
    Assist in generating progress reports for projects

Experience:
    High School Diploma or better
    Competent computer software and hardware skills
    Excellent written communication skills
    Excellent organizational skills

Submit all resumes and documents to todd@beamdog.com"

https://www.beamdog.com/jobs/4
    I'll move to Edmonton to do that!
  • ArgyleArgyle Member Posts: 48
    That's a lot of positions ... where's all this money coming from? Beamdog must have won a big contract, or maybe a Government grant, or maybe they have a rich investor who'd prefer not to be named but is probably already a poster in these forums?

The cleaning staff +1 is over in the corner, leaning against the wall with its bottom end resting in the center of a long, brush-like device.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on