Skip to content

Scythe: two-handed weapons

GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I know it would be a big request - with simple animations - just cutting the grass would be enough:P

Why it would be good? Because there is not much two-handed melee weapons beside swords (only halberds, spears and staves for mages:) and it would nice weapon for evil characters, especially evil priests of cyric:D.

edit: Forgot about sticks:]
Post edited by Grieg on
NecdilzorXavioriaJalilyMortianna

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Cool! Not thought of this! Can we also have nunchukkas!
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    Why necessary evil? I have to cut the wheat you know? xD I like the idea :D
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @Grieg
    Grieg said:

[...] there is not much two-handed melee weapons beside swords (only halberds and spears) [...].

My berserker warrior with grand mastery in staves debates whether or not he should smash your head for such blatant disrespect for his favorite weapon. :P
    FredjoGrieg
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I agree with this, if only to have some very interesting looking weapons in the game...

But would it deserve it's own profficency slot?
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    I think Scythes would be an awesome addition.

You might be able to add Scythes and have them fall under Spear or Halberd proficiency. It fits right between the two, although they may be closer to halberds.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Anduin said:

Cool! Not thought of this! Can we also have nunchukkas!

Could fall under the category of flails! :D
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77
    i love scythes!
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Scythe seems like such in impractical weapon choice, so much so that you might as well make any tool or object in-game useable as a weapon. If it weren't for the grim-reaper factor I can't see why anyone would even want this.
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    edited September 2012

Scythe seems like such in impractical weapon choice, so much so that you might as well make any tool or object in-game useable as a weapon. If it weren't for the grim-reaper factor I can't see why anyone would even want this.

If I remember right (it was so long ago when I was playing it), scythes were in AD&D rules. And as I said nice weapon for priests.
    And I as far as I know peasants used it as pretty easy obtainable weapon (but usually they used it as a spear/pike with properly changed blade), there was even a 18th century division in Poland in which they used mainly a "war scythe" (kosa bojowa) as they were calling it.
    Here you can see a picture of such weapon
    Edit: source image from wikipedia

But you know more fancy look is when it is in original form of scythe grim-reaper - like.
    ArchaonJalily
  • ArchaonArchaon Member Posts: 24
    Very cool to see that war scythes really existed and were used in the past. Kudos, @Grieg !
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672

Like others have said Scythes have actually been used as weapons in the past.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_scythe

"War scythes were a popular weapon of choice and opportunity of many peasant uprisings throughout history"

Also, I came across this vid on youtube. Though it may take some skill to wield one.

Though I have to wonder. How likely is it they can put in a new weapon in the game? I mean you could possibly use the same animation from Halberds or something like that, but wouldn't they have to animate the new weapon itself? I think they've already said no to any new animations.
    edited September 2012
    @RedGuard Yeah I realized that it won't be possible to add some time after making this topic, but still it can nicely make way into some mods.
    If someday I will learn how to make such, I will definitely make scythes and of course small gnome of doom.

Btw. nice video, it has to be really difficult to master.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    and there is always the uber-scythe: naginata
    Funny. I never viewed the Naginata as a Scythe.
    @RedGuard - You're right. It's more of a glaive. But the combat techniques are similar (sweeping attacks and the like). The right-angle scythe would be terrible in battle (high risk of losing the weapon). The ones above are more practical and naginata like
    Sorry to double-post. @RedGuard - are new weapons new animations? I thought they simply put the weapon graphic onto the existing animation.

In general, pole-arms were not given as much love in BG [a little better in BG2] (and NONE in DA, but that's beside the point). I would like to see a bit more and the scythe (the real, not the 90 degree Grim Reaper one) would be cool!

I would like to see a bit more and the scythe (the real, not the 90 degree Grim Reaper one) would be cool!

Actually "scythes" refers to curved tools/weapons grim-reaper like those are "real scythes". I mean real - which were first used by peasants and used until nowadays. Not reforged into spear/pike-look.

You have on mind war scythe as mentioned before. And you are right it would be much easier just changing the weapon in the animation.
    reedmilfam
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Perhaps I should have been more specific. By "scythe" I am referring to this http://www.scythesupply.com/images/products/outfits/Outfitnew1.jpg an unadulterated scythe as seen in vanilla NWN. The examples given of "war scythes" are not really scythes, they are scythe blades that have been re-forged/ re-fitted in some way, onto a pole. In case you haven't noticed, spears and halberds are already in the game to represent the plethora of pole-arms in existence.
    edited September 2012
    @reedmilfam I'm no weapons expert, I just never really thought to associate the two before. I didn't even think of it alongside other Glaive-like weapons either. Though I think it may have to do with the fiction I've seen them appear in and the fighting styles associated with the Naginata.

Also, I'm not really concerned with realism too much when it comes to a high fantasy rpg. To me the classical Scythe as opposed to the reforged War Scythe would feel more at home in this fiction than what looks like another halberd with an odd shaped blade.

Also, I think with the graphics of the game and at the resolution that BG:EE is offering a War Scythe will look more or less indistinguishable from a normal Halberd. The more 'Grim Reaper' like Scythe would be more recognisable and unique.

As far as the animation issue, I'm not sure. Though I expect they'd have to make new graphics of some sort for the weapon itself. I'm assuming that means animating the weapon itself so it fits the animation of the character wielding it at all times.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    I believe Sickles are a druid viable weapon, so their 2H counterpart would work as well.

Of course, my first choices for new weapon types would be Broadswords, Staff slings and Tridents.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I suppose for now I'll just have to pretend that the halberd is really a scythe--a scythe that only does piercing damage :( Speaking of that, why is it that halberds only do piercing damage? They have a blade AND a spike! (I suppose it was a design issue.)