Skip to content

A new screenshot approaches!

Comments

• SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Mmmm. The new UI, I like it. Of course, I like the color blue, and I like the color gold.

@BelgarathMTH - I recently went back to the Brown color UI when 1PPv4 was released. @Erephine did a very nice job with it!
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Kerozevok said:

BGEE will be blue for the guys... Pink for the girls...

http://nsa29.casimages.com/img/2012/09/07/12090705384751977.jpg

Xzar looks terrified by pink.

• MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    I think the UI is good, I don't really want to say anything else as everyone has either mentioned what I thought or brought up points that have been floating about the whole time. personally it has a new look which revitalises the game in subtle way, I like when things become enhanced and different. The gold looks really good and I think the bevelled edges someone had mentioned is a great suggestion.
  • Gun19Gun19 Member Posts: 48
    JOYGASM EXPLOSION !
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    My wife will never play BG. She tolerates its existence. My daughter (majoring in Japanese language) will get a copy (of course paid for by her walking ATM NPC - "dad") when the Japanese translation is done. We want to hear "You must gather your party..." in nihongo, as well as many of the banters.

Soo desu!
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited September 2012
    Kerozevok said:
    That look pretty awesome I must say
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    @Kerozevok That looks terrific from a coloring standpoint. I love what @Daylight did with the portrait frames in his version. Has the UI been confirmed to be moddable? If so, I know the community will do a great job given what I am seeing in this thread.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    My favorite community generated UI idea so far is the one that puts the portraits at the bottom, and leaves all the UI away from the sides, inspired by the IWD2 UI.

Devs, could we not have had something like the IWD2 UI, which seems custom designed for modern widescreen aspects? It would maximize play area viewing in widescreen, and keep all the controls unobtrusively at the bottom of the screen.

Customizable color schemes in the UI would also be a huge plus. That way, you would avoid all the bitchin' and moanin' from all these supporters who hate the blue-on-gold scheme you chose for the default. You don't want your hard work to fail just because of a color scheme choice, surely. If Microsoft can include user-chosen color schemes for Windows, I'm not sure why you couldn't do the same for BG, especiallly since you say you have reworked the coding to allow for more flexibility.

And, even if I criticize your choices, I am one of your staunchest supporters, and I imagine that everybody who's posting in these forums is, also. I hope you are not discouraged that the majority of the posts seem to be against your initial screenshot release. If I were you guys, I would pay careful attention and try to implement as many suggestions from your fans as possible, especially as customizable options.

In fact, I would summarize my advice to you in three words: location, location.... oops, no, that's real estate. I meant "customizability, customizability, customizability."
  • LekianLekian Member Posts: 108
    I find this thread quite amusing, what shall the following 10 screenshots bring to our beloved forums.

I have already given my opinion and although I have seen new things which I am not keen on (they have still not been mentioned) I will wait for the final release and see the final result of the GUI.

What I am going to say has already been mentioned on another thread (have not read it on this one)

As per @trentoster, screenshots take weeks to get approval from Atari, WotC,... If this is true people are complaining or criticizing on a single screenshot at least two to three weeks old.

I am quite sure the devs have already seen the flaws we are pointing out so lets just keep our fingers crossed and see the final result.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Kerozevok said:
    Lets hope @PhillipDaigle sees this :P

• SabotinSabotin Member Posts: 38
    I am not gonna debate colors and positioning as I think it is pointless and matter of personal taste, but I can't help but be slightly disappointed by the following (which I guess is still a matter of personal taste :D):
    - All of the golden stuff seems "foggy" or low resolution or something, which I think clashes with the very sharp game area and portraits.
    - The horizontal and vertical parts of the GUI do not look like they connect properly on the right side ( possibly because the elements overlap, because the vertical parts can slide down?).
    - The chat window looks very "collage-like"? I don't know how to describe it better. By the texture on the lower left I would think that that corner shouldn't be a sharp one; the lower right side looks much better.
    - The text appears to go over the GUI element by a few pixels (visible near the red "D" if you look close).
    - The AI toggle button seems to be a different style than the other 3 on that side.

Overall I think it needs some polish, but I guess these pictures are still with GUI being WIP?
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited September 2012
    Anyone ever use this one btw ?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You have to use it when talking to Charmed NPCs.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited September 2012
    Kerozevok said:
    The problem with the spaces around the portraits is that they become smaller. I'd rather have bigger portraits without the borders around them.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited September 2012
    Almost forgot... TOWER SHIELD TOWER SHIELD TOWER SHIELD TOWER SHIELD TOWER SHIELD YAY!!!!!!!! :)
  • OpaleOpale Member Posts: 3
    When they say moddable GUI, what will actually be moddable ?
    Being able to edit the GUI's hue, change some buttons placements, scale the text box... what are the limits ?

http://nsa30.casimages.com/img/2012/09/07/120907100710136506.png

@Daylight version is simply outstanding ! I love the texture used in place of the rock one with the less contrasting blue/sepia colors, props !
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    edited September 2012
    @Paladin "Has the UI been confirmed to be moddable?"

I don't know... Need to do some tests with DLTCEP for see what's possible.

@lordkim "Anyone ever use this one btw ?" >> Never. ^^

@Tanthalas The portraits on this column are just here for the selection, no need to have a poster. :)

And even with a frame, the portraits are bigger than in NWN2 or DAO.
    Post edited by Kerozevok on
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    mlnevese said:

Kerozevok said:

You're lucky my wife isn't in this forum... try to give her anything pink and shel'll make you swallow it whole... Although I'm not sure how you could swallow a game's UI, I know her well enough to know she'd find a way. :)
    ...Wait, am I *supposed* to take this in a dirty way or not? I can't tell. ._.;
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    lordkim said:

Anyone ever use this one btw ?

It comes in handy to 'force talk' to someone. Also, I'm sure it will be useful on an iPad. ;)

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Another thing....we need "COLOR THEMES" ...you know like, "Classic Stone" or "Psychedelic Blue"
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012

The talk icon is really handy for killing dragons by forcing them into conversation before they can turn hostile after you attack them, and then repeating until they die.

Not that I do that.

Or did that.

To Thaxll'ssyllyia.

I always do that to Marl in vanilla BG1. :3

"Heh, you tell 'em, Marl!"

Negotiate your way to get 900 XP. Talk to him again "Git outta my face." NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT TO ME. TIME TO DIE, MORTAL SCUM. 600 more free XP and he stands there while I wack him!! :D
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Quartz said:

mlnevese said:

Kerozevok said:

You're lucky my wife isn't in this forum... try to give her anything pink and shel'll make you swallow it whole... Although I'm not sure how you could swallow a game's UI, I know her well enough to know she'd find a way. :)
    ...Wait, am I *supposed* to take this in a dirty way or not? I can't tell. ._.;

I could answer that... but as was the case with the anal probe discussion in the Adventure Y thread, the mods would have to flag this thread as 18+ ;)
  • CleaveCleave Member Posts: 32

I like the blue background. Ever since I played Gears of War, I have an extreme hatred of grey and brown.

Haha. I got that feeling from playing Fallout:New Vegas... something like 32000 colors (random number) they said when the game launched... yeah... 32k shades of grey and brown they meant..

Kerozevok said:

@belgarathmth "I find the pink surprisingly appealing."

?!?.... Like what, all tastes are in nature. ;)

"I wonder how hard it would be to program a control that would let you change the color of the interface to whatever the player wants"

No idea... Otherwise, the blue are the MOS files and it's easy to texture them.

My BGT start screen : http://nsa29.casimages.com/img/2012/09/07/120907063456154184.jpg

However, the gold icons (from NWN1...) are the BAM files, and you can edit them only with Bamworkshop... Pixel by pixel... (AAAARGHHHH !!).

@Kerozevok Can you please apply to work on th EE team? That start screen is tremendous.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Quoted for awesomeness...
    Daylight said:

Just wanted to make a quick suggestion about color saturation and texture usage. This picture was done quick only to show that GUI shouldn't "pop out" so much but instead it should work in harmony with game graphics.

I know that the official screenshot is still work in progress but i just wanted to give my two cents. Apologies if I stepped on anyone's shoes.

P.S The little extra details in the picture are only me playing around, nothing else. :)

This solves most of the issues with the new UI like lack of texture depth around the framed GUI sections, portrait frames and contrast (bright gold looked better vs. light gray stone ala BG1 than it does vs darker blue). If this shipped with either a wider text box, or a user adjustable textbox width, I would be happy.

It isn't about me, would you guys?
    Apparently the UI will be moddable, per the released feature list posted. I missed this earlier. Beamdog's UI is impressive but now, Modders lead! Improvements for everyone!

New, high resolution GUI.
    The Graphic User Interface (GUI) has been completely unhardcoded, thus making it possible to overcome its inherent limitations in terms of resolution. Beamdog / Overhaul Games are currently working on a brand new, high resolution GUI drawn by BG:EE's Art Director Nat Jones and fellow artist Madoline Bee, which will be customizable / moddable to a generous extent (some limits still apply due to the original BG code's resilience to Cameron Tofer's attacks; hopefully, Cameron will manage to find a silver-coated machete with which to treat the old code post-ship, further expanding the GUI's customizability).