Skip to content

Any chance on getting an expansion to BG2EE?

Sophiel777Sophiel777 Member Posts: 54
The only logical next step would be to make an expansion to this timeless classic. While an expansion to BGEE is a very smart move to renew the classic, an expansion to BG2EE would be even better.

Possibilities are countless. It doesn't have to be a direct continuity from ToB. Perhaps a couple of new adventures and characters? The same changes as in the new expansion to BGEE (whatever they may be). Or just let our adventurer invade Gods' Realm after he becomes the new god of murder (maybe like god of war style?). Because what can be even more challenging in BG series than dragons? Gods and half gods! And more dragons!

Besides, it would give me a real bad case of OCD if BG2EE was left out like that. Two Enhanced Editions. Two new expansions. Seems like a good way to honor the classics.

Feel free to post your own ideas.
Post edited by Sophiel777 on

Comments

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Throne of Bhaal is the expansion to BG2, just Tales of the Sword Coast is the expansion to BG1. In other words they were originally released as four separate games. I don't see SoD as an expansion to BG1, rather as a link between BG1 & BG2.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Makes sense to me. BG2 never received a ToSC-style expansion, so why not?

Ideas:
    Maybe something fleshing out the mind flayer invasion? Perhaps create a plot around Twisted Rune?
    edited August 2015
    dunbar said:

Throne of Bhaal is the expansion to BG2, just Tales of the Sword Coast is the expansion to BG1. In other words they were originally released as four separate games. I don't see SoD as an expansion to BG1, rather as a link between BG1 & BG2.

Digital distribution hadn't yet been invented. They had no choice but to release the expansions on separate CDs. Neither ToSC nor ToB could be played without BG1 or SoA, respectively.

SoD is more like ToB in that your characters can no longer access BG1/ToSC areas. An expansion that adds new areas and adventures to SoA would be great.

RtD (Return to Dragonspear) sounds good to me. Reopen the Abyssal gate to clean house or take over, as appropriate.
    Post edited by bleusteel on
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    I cast my vote with @bleusteel , give life to the Mind Flayers!
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    What is there to expand on? With SoD filling the gap between BG1 and 2, the series now goes from the beginning to the end of the Bhaalspawn's saga.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Flashburn said:

What is there to expand on? With SoD filling the gap between BG1 and 2, the series now goes from the beginning to the end of the Bhaalspawn's saga.

Maybe the time between SoA and ToB?
    Flashburn said:

I would like an expansion similar to ToSC that fleshes out some of the SoA vignettes. Mind flayers, twisted rune, revenge of the skin dancers, etc. Who's that guy that upgrades the human flesh armor? Maybe he can do more cool stuff with parts of other good dragons.

Maybe there will be a story from SoD that they can continue. There's always more expansion/exposition that can be done.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    @bleusteel that sounds like an Unfinished Business sort of thing, and that sounds perfect to me!
  • Sophiel777Sophiel777 Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2015
    I'll definitely buy it.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Sounds good to me. I'd be down for it. I especially like the idea of the twisted rune. Either that, or something which fleshes out what exactly the beholders, illithids and githyanki were up to under the city...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    What about an expansion with full new questlines for Monks, Barbarians, Sorcerers, Blackguards and Shamans (the latter if there's no new stronghold for a shaman in BG2EE after a SoD-compatible patch for BG2EE)?

New strongholds, new quests, new rewards.

It would be a cool addition and would also "finish some business" left from both original BG2 developers (unique strongholds for Monks, Barbarians, Sorcerers) and Beamdog (unique strongholds for Blackguards and Shamans).
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    edited August 2015
    Nimran said:

Flashburn said:

Tricky, don't they pick up about a week later? You stay in Suldanessellar for a while then people get restless having a filthy Bhaalspawn there and you are gently encouraged to move on before you make their couch smell.
  • Sophiel777Sophiel777 Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2015
    What I'd like to see the most is something that BG2EE failed to deliver - more recipes for Cromwell and Cespenar. Hell, it wouldn't be unreasonable to implement items which you need to collect and assemble over the course of the entire saga. Like pantalons, but with the items you could actually enjoy collecting and crafting.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    CaloNord said:

Nimran said:

Flashburn said:

Tricky, don't they pick up about a week later? You stay in Suldanessellar for a while then people get restless having a filthy Bhaalspawn there and you are gently encouraged to move on before you make their couch smell.
    That could be the adventure! Baldur's Gate II: Sofa of Suldanessellar (SoS).

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i think that the best thing would be to have another mystery/political intrigue/conspiracy-themed story like the latter part of bg1

since the disturbance of the factional balance in athkatla, chaos has arisen, bla bla. the doppelgangers have some unfinished business with you since the death of sarevok, and they have subverted the local administration.
    since we have got the red wizards' presence in athkatla, they could be involved too, as a quietly rising faction in amn

ideally, it would connect some loose ends (relatively speaking) such as the twisted rune, the slavers storyline (that building in the temple district), the illithids in the sewers, etc.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    bengoshi said:
    That painting in post #6 of the linked thread. Is Imoen masturbating in the middle of a dragon battle? :blush:
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    ineth said:

bengoshi said:
    That painting in post #6 of the linked thread. Is Imoen masturbating in the middle of a dragon battle? :blush:
    ?????? Her arm is on her belley
  • clos4lifeclos4life Member Posts: 26
    I would love a TOB expansion but I'll throw my money at Beamdog even if they make a SOA xpac.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited March 2016
    I think that Beamdog should start a new project in new engine but eventually make BG2 expansion.
    I guess Beamdog would need bigger team for that.
    Continuation of charname's fate would lead in many plot problems. There could be some interlude DLC where, for example, charname, got snatched in strange realm and needs to find a way out. Basically, I would like that writers do something crazy and non-cliche.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    Arunsun said:

?????? Her arm is on her belley

For some reason, I totally didn't see her lower arm before, I saw that as part of the armor.

In any case, sorry for thew inappropriate comment, I must have been in a weird state of mind when I wrote it... :flushed:
  • cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    What is Imoen doing in that pic? Is she getting behind Charname so that he will fall over her and she can have a giggle at his expense?
  • sansserifsansserif Member Posts: 125
    it looks more like she had PMS and ran out of spells. just my thought though..
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited March 2016
    BG2 is perferct as it is, I'd rather have a new game altogether, with a better engine and a new story.
    Kind of like BG and IWD stand in relation to each other, but with a stronger connection (i.e. reoccuring characters). Maybe in a new location? The sword coast is pretty much overdone by now, let's move to an area that has not been (over-)explored in the different DnD PC games yet.

Let BG be BG and have us move on to new adventures.

PS: Or, like I mentioned many times before, make a prequel about Gorion's days as an adventurer.