Skip to content

How do you like the look of character models in the game now?

Comments

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I personally like the outlines, but I like the fact that they're optional even more.
    IchigoRXCGrammarsalad
  • aarionnaarionn Member Posts: 94
    Outlines are a no go for me and I am thankful that BD added toggle.

Smoothness of sprites and the boost in color saturation is also not to my liking. How to disable it if it is possible? Thx.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Color saturation?
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    I think they look awesome. At first I agreed with people who thought they made the sprites look a little too cartoony, but I would really suggest giving them a try for a prolonged session. The sprites were badly in need of a refresh, and somehow this relatively minor addition makes the game feel visually *updated* in a way that other cosmetic changes haven't. Not only are they easier to pick out, but they feel less pixelated somehow even though the models themselves are the same. Kudos :)

Two requests:

1. It would be nice to have an option to add similar outlines to lootable containers. This would probably be a big undertaking, but I've always hated switching between views (especially playing without a keyboard) and I think this would provide a nice alternative.

2. If you're considering changing/expanding this feature in some way, please keep the outlines black or give players the ability to choose.

mlnevese
    Dee said:

Color saturation?

Dee,

I noticed something strange in color of sprites (PC and NPC). Did you change something with environment lights or shadows?

Scene is in the Candlekeep inn.

I have 2 clients up, beta and current BG1EE version.

In the inn I noticed that the colors on NPC sprites are different. First tutor in the room next to the entrance door has green robes in both clients, but the next tutor next to the stares has grayish robe in beta client instead of green one.

Also Firebead NPC robes has different colors in terms of green robe is more green in beta and also blue part of robe is more blue and it seems that his skin (on the face) is somehow more saturated.

Also Winthorp overall color is different (pinkish?).

Than I noticed that as my PC is moving through the room the colors on sprite are changing much more drastically when in beta client. It really looks strange as the changes are not subtle as in normal client.

I started a new game to check if it is persistent. Now the colors look normal...

not sure if this was created because I was changing graphic options in the first save when I also had to restart in order to remove outline.

Will look into it more.
    Whoaa Dee it is correct :) first char was elf and 2nd was human.

good to know about infra-vision :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Yeah, the infravision change is nice. I don't think it's any more useful, but at least it's more noticeable. And it looks neat.
    JuliusBorisovcmk24FlashburnSilverstar
  • StoibsStoibs Member Posts: 66
    First thing I noticed after getting into the beta was how bad and cartoony and non-BG like the characters looked. Odd out-of-place outlines on everything that stuck out like a bad sore thumb.
    Didn't know what the hell was happening at first. This certainly isn't how I remembered one of my favorite games and classics of all time, what was going on here?
    Then I noticed that 'outline' option and turned that off quick smart, odd that it would be toggled on by default, but eh whatevs.

Atleast *that* has options to revert back to the original style and vision, unlike some of the new inferior UI's forced on us
    /Shudder
    Ithual
    @Stoibs you have excellent feedback. Maybe dial it back on trying to steer discussions away from their stated topics, but thank you for speaking up.
    illathidfeersum_endjinn
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I kinda like the outline thing. But... it just doesn't feel Baldur's Gatey to me. I'm used to and like the old style, so I'll keep using that. If only I could have the old shield models back *sigh*.

Thankfully it's optional. While I don't share Stoibs' view overall, I do think more of the EE's changes being optional would have been good.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    I'm liking the outlines very much. And I'm liking that they're optional. A nice surprise on both points.
    Silverstar
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    bengoshi said:

This is how my character and Imoen look pre-beta:

This is how they look in the beta:

Even without such options as "Sprite Outlines" and "Highlight Selected sprites" new character models look ... different.

More cartoonish, less BG-ish, and overall less ... slim. Do you like it?

The models look terrible. Hope change is not permanent.
    Ithual
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    I am loving the sprite smoothness along with the outlines, especially when playing zoomed out.

Honestly I think this may be my favourite upgrade. Definitely makes the game look fresher and easier to follow on the eyes. Good work Beamdog!

I get that some people prefer the old look, but that is the beauty of having the toggle option.

I would suggest that they try playing with the outlines on while zoomed out, it really makes the game look better imo. Give it a while to become familiar and I am sure you will see the advantage.

I played with the outlines on for a long time, then thought I would go back and test without the outlines to make a comparison. I was shocked at how much of a difference the sprite outlines made to defining the sprites against the background, they definitely make things much clearer for me. In addition the smoother sprites are nicer to look at too, less jagged :)

In short....I will definitely be playing with the outlines on. The game just feels fresher and somehow clearer that way.
    mlnevesegnaumiecPurudayabyrne20
  • LathspellguestLathspellguest Member Posts: 60
    What's the difference between outlines and highlights? Are highlights the green circles?
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    From what I can tell the Outline option is never saved if you change it during gameplay. It will only be saved if you quit to the main menu and then apply the option change or apply the change while at the main menu.

Basically if you apply it during gameplay and click Done the setting will immediately revert.
    illathidJuliusBorisov
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605

What's the difference between outlines and highlights? Are highlights the green circles?

The outlines add thick black lines around the sprites, highlight gives the spirit you hover over a blue highlight (only works with outline on). Both require a game restart to take effect.
    JuliusBorisovLathspellguestSilverstar
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    Phew , good thing i read up on this Topic , i just Plunged myself into a totally new run wanting to get my Assassin for SOD ready and test this new cool Client and then get Punched with Brightly Glowing Sprites that stick out like a sore thumb from the Decade old Background. (and the backgrounds are lovely drawn)

good thing after some Option twiddling and a restart they look "Fitting" again so far i like it.
    Stoibs
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085

Phew , good thing i read up on this Topic , i just Plunged myself into a totally new run wanting to get my Assassin for SOD ready and test this new cool Client and then get Punched with Brightly Glowing Sprites that stick out like a sore thumb from the Decade old Background. (and the backgrounds are lovely drawn)

good thing after some Option twiddling and a restart they look "Fitting" again so far i like it.

They really do stick out in the image provided for this thread. Like a sticker on the cover of a book.

A picture means nothing though. Once in-game, moving about, during combat, exploring is when I will decide how it effects my game.

Ease of use by an On / Off option is a win either way, so I'm not overly concerned.

Choice is good.
    DevardKrown
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    I really like the smoothing when the outlines are turned on, and the highlighting is very helpful, I just wish I could have those two things without the actual outlines. I wonder how easy it would be to mod the outline color to transparent...
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    i second that ... having the smooting, but with a far thinner or even no outline would be interesting, at least to try. maybe if not with a UI option, at least as config in the .ini / .lua?
  • LathspellguestLathspellguest Member Posts: 60
    cmk24 said:

The outlines add thick black lines around the sprites, highlight gives the spirit you hover over a blue highlight (only works with outline on). Both require a game restart to take effect.
    Ah, thanks for the explanation. So whichever way we go, we can still have the feedback circles.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    I imagine the smoothing without the outline would make the character models more easily blend with the terrain/make it harder to see them.
  • SurvivorSurvivor Member Posts: 68
    I like the new outlines and think that they greatly improve visibility if you're playing zoomed out. However, I like it even more that once again every player can decide his- or herself whether to activate these options or not.
    SilverstarXKal
    Dee or anyone, how can I disable smoothness of the sprites?
    Options > Graphics > Show Sprite Outlines

Toggle that off, restart the game, and the sprite smoothing will be gone.
    edited March 2016
    Thx Dee, but I noticed that it is not the case. Some amount of smoothness or even outline still stays. I have both clients, beta and 1.3 on same save and zoom at the same time and the sprites are not looking identical. Sprites in non-beta version are more pixelated. Maybe someone else can also check this.

Edit: in beta when sprite outline is disabled, after restart of the client, edges of the character are not pixelated like in 1.3 version. There is clear outline... like pixels are still somewhat connected in outline, not so pronounced as when the option is toggled on, but still there.
    JuliusBorisov
    Try adding the following line to baldur.lua:
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Sprite Blur Amount','1.0')
    Let me know if that changes anything for you.
    JuliusBorisov