Skip to content

Clerics: What is your favorite pure/multi/dual combination?

I really want to play through the entire trilogy as a Cleric (or variant). When I first played Baldur's Gate almost twenty years ago, I had very little understanding of the D&D spell system, and mostly used the Cleric for healing. Furthermore, I (foolishly) thought of Clerics as being weak, since my initial exposure to "healers" was from the white mages in the Final Fantasy series. It wasn't until Neverwinter Nights that I realized how badass Clerics are, not to mention having a greater understanding of the spells. Also, I would later discover that the class was actually conceived by the game designers as an undead hunter to combat another player's vampire PC, and was inspired by Peter Cushing from the Hammer Horror movies (which is awesome, and hence, Turn Undead has always been a signature ability).

Anyway, I recently started a LG Human Priest of Lathander (16/9/16/13/18/15), and am considering taking him up to level 40 throughout the trilogy. However, a Fighter 6/Cleric 39 would certainly be more powerful with 2 APR (Although Boon of Lathander stacks...), better HP, a better THAC0, weapon mastery, and more items to use. That's a lot for only the loss of one Cleric level. This got me thinking of other potential characters, such as:

Swashbuckler/Cleric
Thief/Cleric
Priest of Lathander/Fighter
Priest of Lathander/Thief
Priest of Lathander/Mage
Mage/Cleric
Stalker/Cleric
Archer/Cleric (slings, obviously)
Etc.

So for you Cleric lovers, what was your favorite build, and if you dual class, at what levels have you done so? If you played a pure Cleric, did you later regret not incorporating other class benefits?
JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHmashedtaters

Comments

• DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    Cleric7/Mage (9 would be better for a couple lvl5 spells but makes you a BG1 Cleric only)
    i Know an Actual Kit would ofc be Better granting 2 Free Skills , but i don't care for any of the 3 Gods offered(Hail Tiamat) so i go with a Plain one.
    Your Start is Dirt Easy with heavy Armor good HP Rolls and a Decent Weapon Selection.

with the 3 Tomes you hit 21 wisdom get a silly amount of bonus spells. Bless and Chant and some other spells are with Set Fixed Duration's so the "Low" Cleric Level does not affect them. in general the spells give great Support.
    mashedtatersmf2112
  • Depends on what I intend for the Cleric to be doing. If their main purpose is spell support, I love the Gnomish Cleric/Illusionist. If I want someone to mix it up in melee, then I tend towards the Dwarven Fighter/Cleric. If I want to take care of my utility needs with a single character to free up other slots, then a Cleric/Thief is fun. And if I want to abuse Turn Undead, then I prefer a Fighter 7->Cleric dual.
    JuliusBorisovmashedtatersPhilhelm
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    I love cleric/thief but now we are getting an NPC to do that and the supported religions in BG2 are ass.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    PK2748 said:

I love cleric/thief but now we are getting an NPC to do that and the supported religions in BG2 are ass.

I've always liked Lathander, especially his incarnation as the Morninglord in the Ravenloft setting.

• PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Sure but not for a cleric/thief. All of the religions probably have fans in role playing circles but try playing a thief stationed in the Temple of Helm. It makes zero sense. It's a terrible headquarters for the character I wanted to role play
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    You REALLY should get Divine Remix and play a pure Cleric.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Swashbuckling Cleric (10/x) focusing on dual wielding flails is my favourite.
    Philhelm
    Raduziel said:

What's the basic overview of the changes?

deltago said:

That's a good one, with a little bonus to Thac0 and AC, as well as max dual-wielding capability. However, does it allow for two pips in flails, or can that only be applied toward a thief weapon? Otherwise, dual-wielding clubs would be theoretically possible, except for the fact that there aren't really any good clubs available. I suppose another option would be to put two pips into staves, and eventually use Staff of the Ram.

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I think C/M is my favorite. I like clerics to some extent, but I'm not a huge fan so I seldom have singleclass clerics as CHARNAME. My second favorite is then prolly F->C for obvious reasons. Thirdly I would rate, if allowed, any keepered kits into MC's, like a berzerker/cleric or a fighter/CoL. My RP's berzerker/cleric of Abbathor dwarf was a blast to play.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Philhelm said:

deltago said:

That's a good one, with a little bonus to Thac0 and AC, as well as max dual-wielding capability. However, does it allow for two pips in flails, or can that only be applied toward a thief weapon? Otherwise, dual-wielding clubs would be theoretically possible, except for the fact that there aren't really any good clubs available. I suppose another option would be to put two pips into staves, and eventually use Staff of the Ram.

Just one pip in flail. But both DoE and FoA are available very early in Amn and beat a majority of the clubs. Late game, when there are better clubs, you can two pip clubs.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    I like dual class Berserker 9/cleric for the extra martial capability combined with buffing spells. I also like multiclass cleric/mage for casting all the spells.
    luxraisin
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Philhelm said:

Raduziel said:

Tons of kits.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/cleric/

There's another one:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/46717/mod-fg-cleric-kits-updated#latest
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    swash/cleric in iwd:ee
    cleric/mage in bg
    Raduziel said:

Philhelm said:

Raduziel said:

Tons of kits.

There's another one:

I can't access the links at the moment, but how do BG mods work? Are they the sort that can be turned on and off, or would I have to remove the files in order to access the standard version of the game?

Amberion said:

I like dual class Berserker 9/cleric for the extra martial capability combined with buffing spells. I also like multiclass cleric/mage for casting all the spells.

Unfortunately, I never conceptually liked the idea of a Berserker/Cleric, at least for the type of cleric I envision playing (regardless of kit existence and mechanics, I do like Clerics of Lathander/Morninglord most of all, particularly their opposition to the undead). I would pretty much be limited to Fighter/Cleric, probably Fighter 6/Cleric 39 in order to complete the dual-classing within BG1.

A Wizard Slayer/Cleric could make for an intriguing witch hunter type of build, but the Wizard Slayer's penalty is far too steep for my liking.

Kensai/Cleric would be a solid "no" from me, since the Kensai doesn't have good synergy with the Cleric due to the armor restriction, and due to its "Eastern" flair.

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Raduziel said:

Philhelm said:

Raduziel said:

Tons of kits.

There's another one:

The first one angers me. It has a Feywarden of Corellon but it has no dwarven deity.

The second one has a Priest of Clangeddin. So it has my blessing. Even though the dwarven priest's benefit is to cast armor of faith...which is a cleric spell. Though Ehontar is awesome enough to make up for that.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Clerics are especially overpowered in BG1, due to low level spells like: Command, Silence, Animate Dead, and Sanctuary is pretty much an enhanced version of Invisibility with a much shorter duration.

There's a lot to choose from but my favorite Is a Chaotic Evil Priest of Talos turned mage. It fits perfectly into the Forgotten Realms atmosphere because many Talonians become mages for the destructive power. Their priest powers are superb and useful from start to finish. I like the ethos too, basically siding with the violent side of nature. Plus you get to wear a cool eye patch AND a black doom cloak!

Tactically it's very powerful build. And since evil NPCs are magically limited (you basically only get 1 cleric and 1 mage) you compliment the party nicely, eliminating any weaknesses to an all evil run. The big question is when to dual, I suggest a minimum of level 9 and a maximum of level 13.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Philhelm said:

Raduziel said:

Philhelm said:

Raduziel said:

Tons of kits.

There's another one:

I can't access the links at the moment, but how do BG mods work? Are they the sort that can be turned on and off, or would I have to remove the files in order to access the standard version of the game?

To easily revert to the standard version, copy the contents of the BG:EE folder to a different folder that eill be yor modded game (started by creatong a shortcut to the game exe within the new folder) and leaving the original game intact. Mods adjust the game files, there's no simple on of switch).
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Sorry for the typos in my last post, I'm typing on my tablet.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    My current favourite is a dualed PoL 21+/Mage solo IWDee HoF mode. It's super cool.

I really like a Fighter/Mage/Cleric multi to play as a Fighter/Cleric but better (who needs shorty saves when you have Mage spells???).

Swashbuckler 25+/Cleric is an awesomesauce solo build.

Illusionist/Cleric is a definite favourite.

Overall I dislike any build that is stuck with crappy attacks per round. Luckily mixing Mage with cleric gives you access to APR boosts in the form of Polymorph and similar spells. Whirlwind isn't ideal as it denies any other action in the round that it's used.
    Philhelm said:

Amberion said:

Unfortunately, I never conceptually liked the idea of a Berserker/Cleric, at least for the type of cleric I envision playing (regardless of kit existence and mechanics, I do like Clerics of Lathander/Morninglord most of all, particularly their opposition to the undead). I would pretty much be limited to Fighter/Cleric, probably Fighter 6/Cleric 39 in order to complete the dual-classing within BG1.

A Wizard Slayer/Cleric could make for an intriguing witch hunter type of build, but the Wizard Slayer's penalty is far too steep for my liking.

Kensai/Cleric would be a solid "no" from me, since the Kensai doesn't have good synergy with the Cleric due to the armor restriction, and due to its "Eastern" flair.

My character is a level 9 Berzerker/Cleric of Tempus. Chaotic/Neutral. Grandmastery in Warhammers. She generally does 'the right thing', but gets bored easily when people talk too much, and has a tendency to pick fights with people she thinks are getting above themselves. She's not smart, and doesn't like it when people act all smart around her. She prefers to solve problems with violence, and converted to Tempus after getting to know Branwen.
    As a tangential question, does anyone use maces later in the game? It seems to me that the best weapons are hammers (Crom Faeyr, Runehammer), flails (Flail of Ages, Defender of Easthaven), or even quarterstaffs (Staff of the Ram). The Mace of Disruption would be really awesome, but it doesn't confer a large THAC0 bonus (+2 or +3 to my recollection).
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I believe the mace of disruption is better used by a frontliner who should go toe to toe with undead monsters while the Cleric can stay back and use Turn for a lethal combo.

As of late-game maces, there's Storm Star +4 which can be upgraded to +5 IIRC.
    Philhelm
    Kilivitz said:

Doesn't that mace have something like a 5% chance to cast lightning bolt on strike? Sounds dangerous for my reputation with all of the bar fights there are throughout the series.

Philhelm said:

Kilivitz said:

Doesn't that mace have something like a 5% chance to cast lightning bolt on strike? Sounds dangerous for my reputation with all of the bar fights there are throughout the series.

Chain lightning. It's a completely different spell, much less dangerous.
    Philhelm
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    I'm surprised there's no love for the cleric of Helm here. I'm running one through BG right now, and the kit abilities have proven rather useful thus far and I expect for quite awhile longer. Having True Seeing level 1 negates any threat thieves might've caused and disables Mirror Images, and while Inquisitor can do that as well, they can't support an entire team as effectively as a Cleric can in the long run.

Seeking Sword is another tool I suspect is going to be really useful, since it's technically not a spell it can be cast with Champion's Strength on top of Righteous Magic and DuHM. I've already had to use it once or twice taking down Mustard jellies or the Doomsayer or any enemy where his cleric spells are less than useful or flat out of spells, and I guess I'll be experimenting at higher levels on how this ability scales.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Neverused said:

I'm surprised there's no love for the cleric of Helm here. I'm running one through BG right now, and the kit abilities have proven rather useful thus far and I expect for quite awhile longer. Having True Seeing level 1 negates any threat thieves might've caused and disables Mirror Images, and while Inquisitor can do that as well, they can't support an entire team as effectively as a Cleric can in the long run.

Seeking Sword is another tool I suspect is going to be really useful, since it's technically not a spell it can be cast with Champion's Strength on top of Righteous Magic and DuHM. I've already had to use it once or twice taking down Mustard jellies or the Doomsayer or any enemy where his cleric spells are less than useful or flat out of spells, and I guess I'll be experimenting at higher levels on how this ability scales.

It doesn't scale well is the answer. Lathander all the way.
  • NildarNildar Member Posts: 33
    I like this thread! I have some questions about dual/multiclass clerics for a trilogy, full NPC party, high difficulty settings run of my own as well.

I am curious to know how people divide their stats when creating a cleric/illusionist.

Is strength useful? And should you go with 15 con (16 after the tome) to get max hp bonus (but not the +5 shorties save)?
    I have this weird thing that I always want to give my chars max charisma and with a cleric/mage it feels like you want basically everything maxed out then, which of course isn't possible :wink: .

I will probably reroll my stats a lot, until I have a high number since I want to play on a very high difficulty setting. But then again, I might just go with a totally different character when the time comes to actually start playing :blush: .

On that note: Is a dual class Priest of Lathandar (and what level?) -> mage any good?
    PhilhelmmashedtatersCloutierJuliusBorisov