Skip to content

Is the black space that you can see an intended look of the end of the map?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
This is how the end of a map looks in the BGEE beta (the black space):

It wasn't like that pre-beta, but maybe it's a part of the new UI?
Abelkillerrabbit

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It is indeed. It allows for a number of things to work more intuitively, and also allows some edge-of-the-map signs to display fully without being cut off at the side of the screen.
    JuliusBorisovArunsunGirewan
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Yes and I really appreciate that addition!
    Darigaaz87
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    Entering a new area and seeing only half a screen destroys the beauty of the created world!!
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited March 2016
    We all know the world is cut up in maps, and each map has an edge. Making the edge of the map so clearly defined, however, looks really artificial and really breaks the immersion. Please make this optional!
    IthualTalarasha
    I'm sorry. I am really upset to find out that this is not a bug. As @Thels points out, this seriously detracts from the immersion of the game and simply should not make it into the final release.

Please change this back. I have always been happy with Beamdog's additions up till v2.0

@Dee Maybe you could move those edge-of-the-map signs so that they are not obstructed, or reduce the border in size (possibly to just an inch, no more) instead of half screen!!
    GreenWarlocknonlinearcoast
    Make a Feature ticket in Redmine and I'll make sure it gets a look.
    IthualJuliusBorisovkillerrabbit
    Thanks @Dee, I'll do that now
    It's odd that 2.0 is pushing more and more aesthetic changes to the game that make the game look actually different than before, and then label it a "feature" to have the old ways.

I can understand some parts, such as the UI elements, which were really outdated, originally designed for a fixed resolution, though the red selections really irk me, and would look a lot better as buttons, or at least have something matching the theme more closer.

But other parts like these and the "default on" black outlines start to make me wonder.

Honestly, the blue highlight outlines seem useful, but from what I understood, you can only have that functionality if the black outlines are on, so it doesn't seem like I'll get to enjoy them.
    Ithual
    The Feature designation just means you want to see something changed that isn't a bug.
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    Yeah I must admit I really don't like the look of it. It ruins the beautiful maps having a gaping black edge....
    Ithual
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited March 2016
    I find it pointless and sort of anti-immersive, not to mention not-quite-beautiful. I was certain it was a bug.
    Ithual
  • NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100
    I complained on the first survey about this. It makes the game look really bad, specially on the top of the maps where you can see buildings being cut off. I also thought this was an unintended bug.

If this is needed for the markers to show up well, why not only add this when zooming out instead of also during gameplay.
    Ithual
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    There's a problem in the current version where you're not able to travel between areas if the quick loot bar is active. Apparently, this feature solves that problem so I welcome it.
    Darigaaz87XKal
    @Abel: I thought it was something like that, and I guess that problem only applies if the Quick Loot bar is wide enough to fill the screen from left to right, which most certainly doesn't apply to everyone.

This feels like a really cheap fix for that, though. Making it optional so those that have problems with the Quick Loot bar would help out a lot, though even in those situations, they should be able to do it so that it only works on the bottom of the map, and only up to the quickbar, similar to how it only works up to the bottom UI bar as well.
    Abel
    edited March 2016
    Abel said:

There's a problem in the current version where you're not able to travel between areas if the quick loot bar is active. Apparently, this feature solves that problem so I welcome it.

Personally, I would prefer just to minimize the quick loot bar, transition area and then open the quickloot bar again. Infact, I have been doing this since quickloot bar implementation and have not had any concerns. It's easy and in my mind was never a problem or bug. I usually just open the bar when I want to pick stuff up anyhow, I don't usually have it open permanently.

I think it is the lesser of two evils.

Big black borders, or having to close the quickloot bar on area transition. I know what I'd pick
    Post edited by Ithual on
    DanathionJairyannaArdul
    Alternately, if the quickloot bar is the problem. Just add an inch thick black border to the base of each screen and only if needed the extreme left and right so portraits and such don't get in the way. We need no border at top of screen and certainly the ones that are warrented only need to be minimal (a couple centremeters)
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited March 2016
    Ithual said:

@Dee Maybe you could move those edge-of-the-map signs so that they are not obstructed, or reduce the border in size (possibly to just an inch, no more) instead of half screen!!

This way the game will still looks like maps are floating in a void, which looks awful. Similarly as others I was sure this was a bug when I've first seen it.
    Abel said:

To be honest if I had to choose I would prefer quick loot bar removal (even though I'm using it a lot and think it's a great feature) rather than having to experience boarders around the maps. Thats how distracting and immersion breaking the new implementation is to me.
    Post edited by swit on
    IthualDanathionJairyanna
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Most certainly a good idea to add enough space to display icons , but it surely takes more room than necessary at the moment. Is that what's to be the released? Or will it be tweaked again?
    Thanks @Franpa this seems like the way forward. I remain hopeful that Beamdog will implement this by the next update.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I actually prefer the new behavior, I like the free camera movement around the edges of areas. That said, I'm also all for providing options to players. A graphics option named "confine viewport within area bounds" or something along those lines is the way to go.
    Durenascmk24illathidkillerrabbit
  • GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    I noticed this during the Gamespot gameplay video and I thought it was some graphical glitch/bug that unfortunately was captured during the demo with them.

When I clicked this thread I was expecting this to be a discussion on said glitch. I'm very surprised to see this is an intended feature...
    Ithualkillerrabbit
    Just booted up Icewind and noticed the black borders there. As @Franpa mentions in his/her earlier post, this works really well. I had been playing Icewind multiple times and hadn't even noticed them!!

Hopefully Beamdog can implement this in the BG series.
    JuliusBorisovAbelswit
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    Ithual said:
    Just booted up Icewind and noticed the black borders there. As @Franpa mentions in his/her earlier post, this works really well. I had been playing Icewind multiple times and hadn't even noticed them!!

agreed, never noticed them in IWD:EE, so it's a brilliant implementation to me.
    Ithual
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    I hope this becomes an option that can be toggled on or off.

It breaks immersion for me.  Especially when the eagle gets stuck in that black space.

There are some good things about this patch but I would traded all of them for more content or an earlier release date.
    Ithual
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    I would love to see the backgrounds continue (perhaps even to what the adjacent map looks like) but make it opaque so you can still tell it's the end of this map.
    Ithual
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    Ithual said:

In IWD:EE only the bottom edge shows a black outline (Unless the area you're in is super small) so that the bottom HUD elements can't obscure your view/prevent you from clicking the bottom edge of the area. If they extended the bottom command bar all the way across it would mask the black space and you'd have none visible on any edge of the area but this would probably make the gameplay field feel cramped.
    Ithual
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Franpa said:
    If they extended the bottom command bar all the way across it would mask the black space and you'd have none visible on any edge of the area but this would probably make the gameplay field feel cramped.
    You just described the original EE v1.0 UI, the bottom bar used to extend across the entire screen.