Skip to content

New BG:EE Portrait!

Comments

• Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @Xzar
    Xzar said:

I hope there will be at least one evil wizard in blue or black clothing.

That's an unnecessary over-specification. All you need is an evil wizard in any kind of clothing, and a few tweaks done in GIMP or Photoshop. :)

• LekianLekian Member Posts: 108
    @Koson Thanks for your clarifying reply, I was a bit confused.

Do we know if the other portrait pack will be released on the 18th september or will it be a DLC($)
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    i love how manley portraits can make a depicted person attractive without making it look cheap or "photoshop" polished. also i love small asymmetries on the faces, making them feel very natural. both portraits so far look great! perhaps i will finally stop using kivans portrait for my pc. yay!
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Lekian said:

Do we know if the other portrait pack will be released on the 18th september or will it be a DLC($)

I think they will both be released on the 18th but we'd need official confirmation to be sure.
    Lekian
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    @PhillipDaigle Could you please confirm the dimensions and formatting of custom portraits in BG:EE? Currently the large portrait has to be encoded as a 24-bit bitmap, while the small one has to be 256 colours.

It seems even when they're formatted properly the small image is distorted and glitchy when you have icons on it or if you're damage. Please confirm if this is remedied, I'm not sure whether to file a bug report or not.

Plus you lose heaps of much needed high definition quality in 256 colours too unfortunately.
    SophiaSyntia13cattlekiller
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    edited September 2012
    Ward said:

@PhillipDaigle Could you please confirm the dimensions and formatting of custom portraits in BG:EE? Currently the large portrait has to be encoded as a 24-bit bitmap, while the small one has to be 256 colours.

It seems even when they're formatted properly the small image is distorted and glitchy when you have icons on it or if you're damage. Please confirm if this is remedied, I'm not sure whether to file a bug report or not.

Plus you lose heaps of much needed high definition quality in 256 colours too unfortunately.

This sounds like too much work. I'm really hoping for easy custom portraits in BGEE. Maybe something as simple as picking what images you want from a folder on your computer, or from the pictures app on your tablet, and then having the game ask you to crop and size the pic to your liking.
    Post edited by Risingsun on
    The_New_Romance
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It would then have to generate a new file for that portrait so that you could share it with friends during multiplayer games. But it would be a lot easier for the user.
    Risingsun
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    @Ward, "while the small one has to be 256 colours."

On BG2 (or IWD), you can already play with a little portrait 24 bits colors. ;)
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    I like the portrait. By itself, it looks smashing! But to be honest, I can't see how it would fit in with the rest of the BG portraits. Or even the general BG look and art..

Doesn't bother me that much though. I'm so psyched about this game being relaunched, I'd play with a stick-figure portrait, if that was the direction which the developers were going with it.
  • HadrielHadriel Member Posts: 13
    The style doesn't fit in with the rest of the portraits, meaning it has failed on the number one criteria, epic fail is what it is.
  • that70sgirl7887that70sgirl7887 Member Posts: 18
    I love the new portrait, and yah it may not be of the same style as some of the original portraits but it still looks amazing. And really, people, if you're so concerned about the portraits you must spend a lot of time staring at your character instead actually playing the game. But still, I think it's amazing.
    mch202
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    I'd bet I won't be the only one tempted to play female CHAR just because of this beauty ^_^
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    @bigdogchris

Devs don't only need pats in the back.
    The_New_Romance
  • cattlekillercattlekiller Member Posts: 55
    Ward said:

@PhillipDaigle
    I would love to know the dimensions needed for BG:EE Portraits as well.

I'm assuming and hoping its BG2 dimensions, seeing how i just finished converting 280+ portraits for BG:EE release.

• Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    edited September 2012
    I would prefer more details on the clothes with the impressionistic art stuff kept to the background. Otherwise I think its the best new portrait so far. (By impressionistic I mean muddy and washed out.)
    Kerozevok said:

@Ward, "while the small one has to be 256 colours."

On BG2 (or IWD), you can already play with a little portrait 24 bits colors. ;)

I LOVE YOU!!!
  • ZearfulZearful Member Posts: 16
    ajwz said:

Awesome.
    For those commenting on it - I think the portrait succeeds in making her look very attractive, but without being sexualised in any way. In my opinion.

I have to agree with you there, I am somewhat disillusioned in most of today's games where it is all latex and garbage bag material. That is what I love about this art style, it's remarkably stunning while leaving you to believe that an individual IRL would wear it because its practical!

She won't be cold this winter ;)
    that70sgirl7887Moira
  • that70sgirl7887that70sgirl7887 Member Posts: 18
    Zearful said:

ajwz said:

Awesome.
    For those commenting on it - I think the portrait succeeds in making her look very attractive, but without being sexualised in any way. In my opinion.

I have to agree with you there, I am somewhat disillusioned in most of today's games where it is all latex and garbage bag material. That is what I love about this art style, it's remarkably stunning while leaving you to believe that an individual IRL would wear it because its practical!

She won't be cold this winter ;)
    I completely agree with the statement about her not looking sexualized. Being a female, I typically have my characters be female and I'm so glad to see a character that looks like she could kick some ass and is not a slut. I assume it's the same mentality when guys pick their portraits based on which male character can kick the most a$$ and not the prettiest one, that's what I want in my character portrait too! So, good job!

Tr_ondKarrieDaylight
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    edited September 2012
    I think the face looks very nice along with the facial paint but the surroundings and clothing looks very blurred. Is he blocking in color and shapes? As in a work in progress?

Looking again at the icewind dale portraits... this new portrait definitely fits that theme and style.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    edited September 2012
    I'm just glad there ARE more portraits.

Edit: Oh yes, could someone direct me to the previous new portrait?
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    Arcalian said:

Edit: Oh yes, could someone direct me to the previous new portrait?

It was posted during the AMAA
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/z1af7/we_are_overhaul_games_the_team_behind_baldurs/c60nil7

Ward
    edited September 2012
    @Arcalian No because the search feature is bollocks.

Found it: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4080/new-portrait-sample-amaa/p1
    Arcalian
  • JayCarrJayCarr Member Posts: 8
    To make a sweeping generalization: Anyone who doesn't like this portrait is simply trying to convince themselves that they aren't going to spend massive amounts of money and time playing all the revamped version of BG and ID. Give up, you're going to do it and, gosh darn it, YOU'RE GOING TO LIKE IT TOO!

/Sweeping Generalizations.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    @Ward ah, thanks!
  • pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    Look fantastic, show more preview.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    I like it! Very nice drawing. Can't wait for 18th xD
  • SilvonSilvon Member Posts: 2
    Looks really great. Hope the rest are just as good!
    Ward