Skip to content

How Vendor Prices Work

prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
Since I think there aren't much info about how vendor buy prices work, I will just list them here (for my own greedy reference to future plays as well).

This post is specifically about the prices when "vendors buy" from "you". The sales price is already discussed to death everywhere so no need to say about it.

Some basic things about the "purchase price":
1. It is not affected by your reputation or charisma.
2. It has stages of what I would call "purchase modifier". Each stage increase/decreases the purchase price by 1/6 of a price when the modifier is 0. The modifier has minimum of -2, meaning that price cannot fall below certain line.
3. Purchase modifiers are affected by 2 things:
- # of same item possessed by the vendor
- Base modifier of vendor

For every item of same type that the vendor already possesses, the modifier (for that item only) drops by 1 (to minimum of -2). It makes it better to sell many stacks of things at once, to vendors who do not possess the same item.
Example) A vendor with base modifier of +2 buys a plate mail he will buy it at +2 mod, then next time he buys plate mail he buys it at +1, +0. -1, -2. Then afterwards you sell composite longbow which you haven't sold yet, so it will start at +2.

* Gems and containers are unaffected by the number of items that vendor has, so no matter how many times you sell it the purchase price will remain the same. They are however affected by the base modifiers, so the better-deal vendors will buy gems for higher prices but never lower.

Chart of modifiers vs Sales Price:

-----------------------
| Mod. | Price Adj. |
| -2 | x 4/6 |
| -1 | x 5/6 |
| +0 | x 6/6 |
| +1 | x 7/6 |
| +2 | x 8/6 |
| +3 | x 9/6 |
| +4 | x 10/6 |
| +5 | x 11/6 |
| +6 | x 12/6 |
| +7 | x 13/6 |
| +8 | x 14/6 |
| +9 | x 15/6 |
| +10 | x 16/6 |
-----------------------

Almost all vendors in game have +0 base modifier, but there are few vendors who will buy stuff for extra price:

Therndle Daglefodd (Underdark): +1
Priestess of Sekolah (City of Caverns): +4
Reirra (Suldanessellar): +4
Ribald's Special Shop (Waukeen's Promenade): +5

*ToB*
Bartender (Saradush): +5
Cyhil (Amkethra): +5
Karthis al-Hezzar (North Forest): +6
Carras (Amkethra): +10

** Easy way to check the base modifiers of vendors is to look at prices for containers (gem bag, potion bag, etc). Normal vendors (+0) will buy them for 60 gold, and every +1 to modifier will add 10 gold on top of that. So +1 vendors will show 70 gold, +2 80 gold, +3 90 gold, and so on. Bag of holding has base price of 150 gold. They are not affected by ones that vendors already have, and will always so prices based on vendor modifiers only.
Post edited by prairiechicken on

Comments

• ShandoShando Member Posts: 147
    wowoowwoo i know to who i should sell my crap now.

tyvm man!
  • ShandoShando Member Posts: 147
    btw - any idea about bg 1?
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    @Shando
    No ideas, I only played it once. Might look closely next playthrough though
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    edited March 2016
    All shops have a multiplier for buying things, a multiplier for selling things, and a depreciation value(how quickly an item depreciates if you sell a lot of it. Typically, most shops will have a buy multiplier of 30(30% of base value) a sell multiplier of 150(150% of base value) and a depreciation of 5(not completely sure what that comes to). There was a well-known exploit with the priestess in the city-of-caverns where if you had high rep and charisma, she would literally sell you an item for less than she would buy it from you, so you could get infinite gold. That's been fixed.
  • VinnyBVinnyB Member Posts: 8
    "Carras (Amkethra): +10"

This seems to no longer be the case--Carras shows the gem bag just as the normal 60 gp.
    (Of course, this doesn't matter much since money is sort of a joke by the time you reach ToB...)

(I know this is technically a necro, but it doesn't feel like it, given how often I find myself re-googling this thread. So helpful!)
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    It would be useful having some info about this topic in BG1 as well.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I've just checked this "charisma does not affect purchase price" assertion in my current game by getting Korgan to buy the Sword of Balduran from Diedre:

Without Ring of Human Influence (Cha 8) - 19600 gp
    With RoHI (Cha19) - 15680 gp
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    dunbar said:

I've just checked this "charisma does not affect purchase price" assertion in my current game by getting Korgan to buy the Sword of Balduran from Diedre:

Without Ring of Human Influence (Cha 8) - 19600 gp
    With RoHI (Cha19) - 15680 gp

@dunbar "Purchase price", as has been referred to in this particular thread, is the price at which the vendors purchase from you, not the price at which you purchase from them.

Since I think there aren't much info about how vendor buy prices work, I will just list them here (for my own greedy reference to future plays as well).

This post is specifically about the prices when "vendors buy" from "you". The sales price is already discussed to death everywhere so no need to say about it.

• xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    When selling huge stacks of items, it is sometimes profitable to buy out those items from the vendor before trade.

But I wonder where did that barkeeper from Amkethram get hudreds of thousands of gold to buy 50 elven chainmails...
  • compleCCitycompleCCity Member Posts: 52
    I haven't checked the maths in the above formulae, but "depreciation rate" has now been defined on the Baldur's Gate Wiki.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited November 2019
    xizor wrote: »
    When selling huge stacks of items, it is sometimes profitable to buy out those items from the vendor before trade.

But I wonder where did that barkeeper from Amkethram get hudreds of thousands of gold to buy 50 elven chainmails...

is even better, if is possible in that shop and you have a proper thief and not only a "door opener" to steal them, even if you don't plan to sell them again to a fence.

for selling stacks of things it is obviously better to use a container, bag of holding or other, if the items are more then the inventory slots, and sell them from there, other way to pack them all in the inventory of a single character, as for the first or second time you sell does not matter how much items you sell as long as it is a single transaction.

if someone can confirm the list of merchants that buy at better price and their modifier, as
    VinnyB wrote: »
    "Carras (Amkethra): +10"

This seems to no longer be the case--Carras shows the gem bag just as the normal 60 gp.
    (Of course, this doesn't matter much since money is sort of a joke by the time you reach ToB...)
    i will include this topic in the pinned thread that is a directory about useful information that should not be buried under pages of new topics.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/75332/useful-knowledge-about-the-games-that-other-way-could-be-lost-please-help-by-reporting-links

by the way is true that in vanilla gold is no more an issue in tob, but if someone play with item upgrade mod, Boards O' Magick Item Pack or maybe both the mods installed gold remains a real issue trough the whole game as both cromwell and cespenar ask insane prices to upgrade the modded items and in item pack some items are priced up to 100k gold pieces, let's say that a MT with uai want to buy all the special staves whose use is reserved to a specific kit and that have very useful proprieties, grant immunity to the opposite magic school when equipped and give some spells, including spell trap and time stop, each day for free, the purchase is probably worth as much as the regular GP a party running normally gets in the whole soa...

if someone can link here also a topic that explain how exactly rep and char work i will include also that in the above mentioned directory thread.

• compleCCitycompleCCity Member Posts: 52
    Charisma and reputation are only considered when buying from a merchant, they don't have any impact on selling items.

Basically said, charisma changes nothing up to 15, then prices decrease at 5% for every point up to -25% at charisma 20 and above.
    A reputation of 10 to 14 yields the base price, higher makes it cheaper, lower more expensive.