Skip to content

Q&A for not so known lore

brusbrus Member Posts: 944
The thread is designed for strange questions, answers,oddities and weirdness from the lore across Forgotten realms and fantasy.

Trolls have green skin as we know. But what is the colour of their blood?
Is it the same as their skin?

Post edited by brus on

Comments

• SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    Powerful Calishites have really long names. Who holds the record for longest name?
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Is this thread just for questions on FR facts or for answers too?
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944

Is this thread just for questions on FR facts or for answers too?

This is Q&A for the lore. Questions and answers.
    edited February 2016
    Good to know, I was wondering if I could post an answer to the first question or not.
    Thanks! :wink:

Good to know, I was wondering if to post an answer to the first question or not.
    Thanks! :wink:

Please do, I'm not that good at retorical questions :smile:
    Ok, I'll try: For me (never read about which colour is the blood of a troll, so I'm completely guessing) it's bright red.

It appears much more brighter than normal (say: human) blood and hotter, because of the innate regenerative properties, and it is also more viscous than normal blood, because of its strong anti-coagulant properties, related to regeneration.

;P
    edited February 2016
    I can't say that I don't agree with you, really!

Also I too started thinking about a nastier colour for troll blood, but then I thought that a troll isn't an abomination nor a magical creature, but it is a giant ( not that this line of thought makes much sense but yet, it somehow allowed me to discard nasty blood colours and to propend for a brightier red blood, brightness justified with the fact that inside that blood there's much more and much quickier platelets activity, hence the hotter temperature and highier viscosity (no splattering). Really no real and coherent explanation for it's colour, though... it is just the one that fits better in my imagination, ahahah! :tongue:
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    @Metalloman I feel like the hotter temperature doesn't make sense as they can only be killed by fire and acid.. so it would have to be something flammable/dissolvable by acid.
    Yeah, you're probably guessing better than me, I really don't know why my line of thought brought me there :tongue:
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Svar said:

Powerful Calishites have really long names. Who holds the record for longest name?

Barack Saddam Hussein Nairobi Obama bin Laden.

In the Itchy and Scratchy video game, how do you escape the dungeon without using the Wizard Key?
    Is a wizard/mage female a witch/warlock class?
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @brus in 2e, Witch was a Wizard Kit. Warlock is not a female witch, as there are male Witches. "Warlock" comes from a Scottish word and means "Oathbreaker".
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    scriver said:

As opposed to Warloch which means "Lake Breaker".

No doubtly the kit has a divided by zero ability.

I'd play that! :lol:
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    @brus By the 2e Monstrous Manual, Generic trolls have Green blood(in ecology). - used in poisons
    I looked up the rest and none of them say anything different for colour, just for use.
    GemHound wrote: »
    @brus By the 2e Monstrous Manual, Generic trolls have Green blood(in ecology). - used in poisons
    I looked up the rest and none of them say anything different for colour, just for use.

I wanted to know the troll's color for the fanart. I will remake it than using the right color.
    Btw, I don't recall one can create potions in the game using troll's blood? Can you?

• GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited March 2016
    @brus In D&D you can. Blood from specific types of trolls has many uses ranging from being components in acidic and fire spells to healing potions and poisons. So yes you can, you just have to find and catch the right troll to take the blood from.

Edit:
    Troll blood is useful in making poison antidotes and healing potions <- previous thing was wrong since I only read up to poison
    Fire Troll blood is used as a component in some acid and some fire spells, it is well known for being able to dissolve metal.
    Ice Troll blood is used in the creation of frostband swords and rings of cold resistance
    Gray Troll dust is useful in healing and resistance magics such as acid, electricity, and cold
    Trollhound blood is useful for healing and curing diseases
    Phaze Troll blood is useful in healing and mind-affecting magic

• YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    Potion of Regeneration is Green. Potion of Regeneration is made from Troll Blood.
    Is it possible that Dorn Il-Khan have history lore connections to Dorn's Deep in Icewind dale?
    He is from the northern Faerun, the place where resides Dorn's Deep.
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    edited July 2016
    Mine may not be lore related, but did anyone actually encounter a behir anywhere in Baldur's Gate? Don't get me wrong, I love the new wallpaper, but It confused me because I don't remember ever seeing one in the games. Chalk it up to artistic license I suppose, but I wanted to see if I missed it.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    brus said:

Is it possible that Dorn Il-Khan have history lore connections to Dorn's Deep in Icewind dale?
    He is from the northern Faerun, the place where resides Dorn's Deep.

Dorn's Deep is named after the king of the dwarven hold. So probably not.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Why is the Forgotten Realms called the "forgotten" realms?
    Are its citizens so drunk that they keep forgetting where they live?
    edited July 2016

These are really good questions.
    First, off the record. Ed Greenwood probably invented some cool name for them like
    Acerion, Xiafirea, Emmeophere or Wandering Vale realms but he didn't write the name. The name had been forgotten in the morning. Pun intended. :smiley:

I believe only Ed Greenwood has the answer for this.
    Post edited by brus on
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    BillyYank said:

I remember reading in an old Dragon Magazine that the Realms and Earth were once connected, but now that connection's been forgotten. Ed Greenwood used to write articles where Elminster would come visit him and they would talk about different aspects of the Realms.

elminster visits me regularly when I have the pipe out. :dizzy:
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    mf2112 said:

elminster visits me regularly when I have the pipe out. :dizzy:

Yeah, plumbing work always puts me in the right mindset too. ;)
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Now I get it! Elminster is coming to Earth to visit @elminster. They established a secret meeting in Europe.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

From a marketing's perspective, words such as secret, lost or "forgotten" are quite catchy when you you're selling adventurous stuff.