Skip to content

My imported character has 181,000 XP

I thought the maximum was 161,000.
wubble

Comments

• DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    It ticks over (still counts) the xp you have above the cap in BG1:EE, although it only shows 161,000
    JuliusBorisov
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Which is why it's always worth starting a character in BG because, not only do you get to shape that character's proficiencies/skills/spellbook from scratch, you also get a head start XP-wise.
    JuliusBorisovPhilhelm
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Does anyone actually play with the xp cap?
    DaevelondunbarmlneveseArdul
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Raduziel said:

yeah, i always mod it too. It doesn't make sense at all.
    dunbarmlneveseArdul
  • Were you importing from BGEE or from The Black Pits? I haven't seen extra XP carrying over from BGEE imports, but I remember seeing TBP characters carry over "phantom" XP that they had earned but which didn't show up on the character record until they were imported.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    I was importing from BGEE. It's completely vanilla because I'm playing on an iPad.

Are you sure ALL XP carries over? I only ask because 181,000 is a very round number.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Raduziel said:

I do!
    Daevelon said:

Raduziel said:

yeah, i always mod it too. It doesn't make sense at all.
    It doesn't bother me, since BG1 is for lower level encounters (which is why I like it more than BG2). There wouldn't be much point running around at level 20 killing everything in sight. The only downside is when certain dual-classes can't be finalized within BG1, such as Fighter 7/Cleric 8, etc.

• CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    It's always worked that way. You never 'lose' experience playing, you simply stop leveling and the record screen won't report anything after the cap. The XP is still gained and stored.
    Flashburn
    CamDawg wrote: »
    It's always worked that way. You never 'lose' experience playing, you simply stop leveling and the record screen won't report anything after the cap. The XP is still gained and stored.

But all the XP?

I ask because my imported XP was exactly 181,000. That's an awfully round number to be imported.
    Hot dang, I powered through with a dwarf barbarian and did a bunch of side quests I normally wouldn't do solo, and had 244,488 XP.

It really does record all the XP you get in BGI.

That opens up a whole new level of abuse. LMAO
    Ardul
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603

I don't see it as 'abuse', those points are 'earned' and as the old saying goes; "If it isn't for sale, don't put it in the shop window". All those points are there to be earned and, in the case of multiclasses especially, sorely needed.

To me the XP cap is just a clumsy way of dealing with a balance issue that could have been better solved with a level cap instead (or better still, putting more thought into the rewards scaling - but then again "hindsight is twenty-twenty vision").

Yeah, it's a balance issue.

But if my character starts BGII at a much higher level, it makes much of the game a breeze.

I can reasonably solo every part of BGEE with a FMT.

If I'm playing other class combos, there are parts I'm going to avoid.
  • RideratRiderat Member Posts: 136
    Oh, I wonder what will happen with imported SoD characters. If, as some say, farming xp in BG1 gives an advantage in BG2, then SoD will probably triple the amount of xp you can start BG2 with. Sounds interesting :open_mouth: 
  • Riderat said:
    Oh, I wonder what will happen with imported SoD characters. If, as some say, farming xp in BG1 gives an advantage in BG2, then SoD will probably triple the amount of xp you can start BG2 with. Sounds interesting :open_mouth: 
    Not necessarily. From what we've heard from the devs, it sounds like you'll need to pursue virtually all of the content in SoD in order to hit the level cap, as opposed to BG1, where you can hit the level cap with a fair bit left to go in the game.
    > @Kaigen said:
    > Riderat said:
    >
    >
    > Oh, I wonder what will happen with imported SoD characters. If, as some say, farming xp in BG1 gives an advantage in BG2, then SoD will probably triple the amount of xp you can start BG2 with. Sounds interesting :open_mouth: 
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Not necessarily. From what we've heard from the devs, it sounds like you'll need to pursue virtually all of the content in SoD in order to hit the level cap, as opposed to BG1, where you can hit the level cap with a fair bit left to go in the game.

That all depends on how many people are in your party (obviously). This thread detailed two solo characters of mine.

If you solo SoD I'm sure you'll blow past the cap.
  • RideratRiderat Member Posts: 136

Kaigen said:
    Not necessarily. From what we've heard from the devs, it sounds like you'll need to pursue virtually all of the content in SoD in order to hit the level cap, as opposed to BG1, where you can hit the level cap with a fair bit left to go in the game.
    In any case, legally you will be able to start bg2 with a much higher level (more xp) than you ever could.
    Say, in bg1 the xp cap is 161k xp. If you continue grinding, doing side quests etc, you can get the xp to 200k for importing in bg2. 40k on top of the xp cap is not much, but still something. Now, I know that we don't know anything about the level cap in SoD, but its quite safe to assume that it will be over 400k. That is at least twice as much as we have now. That's about 1-2 levels depending on your class. And who is to say that 400k will be the limit? Maybe it's closer to 600..

Any-who, only about 10 days to find this out ;)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I always play with no xp cap and never felt that the extra level (at most) I get when using a full party does anything to harm the fun in early BG2. The current playthrough I just finished for SoD had charname with around 220k xp at the end.
    JuliusBorisov
    What about picking up NPCs with higher XP?

I'd always prefer to build up their proficiencies myself.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Klorox said:
    What about picking up NPCs with higher XP?

I'd always prefer to build up their proficiencies myself.
    With the 2.0 patch it won't be a problem. You'll be able to choose everything for NPCs. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49007/level-1-npc#latest
    Klorox
    Sweet!
    JuliusBorisov