Skip to content

Can someone explain to me the difference between potion of magic protection and magic shielding?

Can someone explain to me the difference between potion of magic protection and magic shielding?

And which do you use/prefer when fighting magic-users?

Thanks.

Comments

• johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    @Artemius_I Thanks! Does potion of magic protection stack? So can I drink 2 pots and get 100%?

Also, for magic shielding, why do you think its better? Since it only blocks magic damage, you still get affected by non-damage type spells like Power Word: Stun or Maze or those really annoying high level spells.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    The Potion of Magic Shielding is my favorite. In fact, I think it's better than even the Protection from Magic scroll because it doesn't prevent you from putting your own buffs on the character. For the most part, you only have to worry about Maze and Power Word spells in Baldur's Gate 2, but Potions of Magic Shielding aren't very common in that game anyway.
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    To be honest, I prefer Magic Shielding in the abstract, but they're both things that I tend to stockpile and then never use unless I take a particularly hard boss on earlier than I should. Actually, that's true of most potions when I play.
    lunarMoradinCrevsDaakgorgonzola
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    johntyl wrote: »
    @Artemius_I Thanks! Does potion of magic protection stack? So can I drink 2 pots and get 100%?

I haven't tried in BG2, but they stack in BG1. It is as broken as it sounds.
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
    Jarrakul wrote: »

I haven't tried in BG2, but they stack in BG1. It is as broken as it sounds.

I just tried in BG2EE SCS and yes they stacked. And not only that, party buffs go through as well so you are technically only 100% resistant to enemy hostile magic! :open_mouth:

Truly broken. Not sure if this is how it should be, or perhaps it's bugged. Realistically, if you are 100% magic resistant then you should be resistant to all magic, regardless friendly or not.
    JuliusBorisov
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Potions of Magic Shielding aren't very common in that game anyway.

Yah, potions of magic protection is quite common as I get to pickpocket them from the guards in the respective temples in BG2 SCS. But for pots of magic shielding I think only Roger sells them in the sewers (whom I stole off too) :wink:
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Potions of Magic Protection works wonder with:

1) Baeloth

2) Viconia

3) Wizard Slayers

4) Any paladin using Carsomyr
    MoradinOlvynChurujohntylCrevsDaak
    Another question: if you are 100% magic resistant from either potions/scrolls, will dispel magic work on you?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Dispel bypasses MR.
    johntylJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddessCrevsDaak
    CamDawg wrote: »
    Dispel bypasses MR.

thanks!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    johntyl
    @subtledoctor kudos to your effort. I wonder if Beamdog addresses this in SOD.
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    Don't buy the potion case - the first step in making use of your potions is getting sick of them clogging up your inventory. Same goes for scrolls. I only have assorted letters and bounty notices in my scroll case.
    lroumengorgonzolaTimbo0o0o0Danacm