Skip to content

2H Weapons and Off-hand

SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
Forgiveness if this is posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find this topic in a quick forum search.

I'm a bit confused w/ the thinking behind the ranger's quick weapon limitations. I'm trying to equip a 2H bow in one slot and then have one of my dual-wielded swords in the next slot (obviously the other sword would go in the off-hand slot. This is precluded by the game that tells me, "2H weapon equipped" or "off-hand in use" when I try to slot in my off-hand weapon or bow. I can envision the real-world limitations w/ this approach if you want to go that route, but it doesn't seem to make sense w/ the ranger class which typically uses some kind of bow and who starts out w/ 2 proficiencies in 2 weapon style. The game obviously wants my ranger to dual-wield, but then it practically limits my character's ability to use the ranger's stereotypical weapon, the bow.

Comments

• Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    That always bugged me too, but in a couple of days, that will be a problem of the past :smile:
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    Oh is that getting fixed in SoD?
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    It's simply a design flaw from the original game, so unfortunately we can only use a single weapon, a two-handed weapons, and a ranged weapon when using the quick-slots. Neverwinter Nights would eventually allow us to quickly switch between dual weapons, weapon and shield, ranged weapons, etc. Fortunately, and to my recollection, the 2.0 patch will fix this. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about the 2.0 changes can confirm.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    edited March 2016
    @Smaug It was an engine limitation but Beamdog has done a lot of work with the engine and in SoD, as well as BGEE and BG2EE with 2.0 patches it will be possible to easily switch from two-handed weapons to dualwielding and vise versa.

SoD is releasing on March, 31, while the patches are almost there and will release soon (they should be released before SoD).

Check the screenshots from the beta: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/726938/#Comment_726938
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    Oh nice, I'm glad that's getting some attention in 2.0
    This flaw is why I'd never use certain weapon combinations. To my recollection, the vanilla version of the game did not pause while within the inventory screen.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Vanilla BG1 unpaused while in the inventory screen, while vanilla BG2 paused (in-line with the EEs). So it makes perfect sense to recall either behavior.

But yeah, of all the changes in 2.0, this is the one I'm most looking forward to. And from my very limited experience with the beta, it does work, and it's kind of glorious.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    Actually if I'm not mistaken unexpanded BG2 left your game as it was whenever you opened the inventory. So you could have the game running (and, say, your characters too, from one side of the map to the other) while checking your inventory. I rather liked this behaviour.
    Chnapy wrote: »
    Actually if I'm not mistaken unexpanded BG2 left your game as it was whenever you opened the inventory. So you could have the game running (and, say, your characters too, from one side of the map to the other) while checking your inventory. I rather liked this behaviour.

That's true, and it gave me something to do whenever I was in a town going from one end to the other.

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    My copy pf vanilla BG2 (which I still have installed, for some reason) pauses when you open the inventory. That's the most I can say with confidence about that.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    I'm talking unpatched, unmodded SoA here (mindscape 4in1 edition), for what it's worth. Wish I could test it right here and now but my cd reader fried a while ago =/.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Not gonna lie: writing the test cases for this feature was one of the most profoundly satisfying experiences of my time at Beamdog. :)
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    playing the beta for some time now and have to say , letting any character from Weapon/Shield switch to what ever Range weapon i fancy without playing the item shuffle game is a dream , so thanks @Dee

next step , dual wielding Darts for 6 APR ! :P
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    The only flaws in the new way (and it's super nitpicky), is that I can't put a throwing weapon set to melee in my off hand. Also can't swap between dual wielding and sling/shield.

Still, much better than they were and loving the new system.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2016
    Dee wrote: »
    Not gonna lie: writing the test cases for this feature was one of the most profoundly satisfying experiences of my time at Beamdog. :)

Seeing this feature implemented was almost as fantastic as seeing skipable cutscenes. Almost :)
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited March 2016
    Philhelm wrote: »
    This flaw is why I'd never use certain weapon combinations. To my recollection, the vanilla version of the game did not pause while within the inventory screen.

Unsure about the initial release of the game, but The Original Saga release had a configuration file option to have the game pause while in the inventory I think (Or was it to pause while using the map?). I have no real experience with the original 5 disc release of Baldur's Gate, a lot of my early exposure to this kind of gameplay was with the The Original Saga release on 3 discs.

After looking at screenshots people have posted of the vanilla game, I assume the UI was changed a lot between the 5 disc release and the 3 disc release.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I just rescued Dynaheir with my charname switching effortlessly from sword & board to shortbow and back. Minsc was swinging his two-handed sword, and when it broke, he just kept on going with his dual maces. (Then his offhand mace broke two rounds later. Someone should really do something about this iron crisis.)