Skip to content

A new screenshot approaches!

Comments

• XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Kerozevok said:
    I like stone bricks here, but not the wooden edges.

The_New_RomanceCrevsDaak
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    @Xzar It's a GUI for the rangers/druids. ;)
    CrevsDaak
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Space_hamster not a recent one. You can see some of the differences in the iPad photos on the website, but that was before they changed their scaling algorithm (it looks a lot better now).
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    @Kerozevok Could you make GUI for evil wizards then? :) It seems that we stuck with this single screenshot anyway, so while there is time :)
    CrevsDaak
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    In my opinion, the first one from Kerozevok is the one which fits perfectly with BG 1. It's close to the original GUI with some minor improvements... That sounds great

http://nsa30.casimages.com/img/2012/09/07/12090708581539243.jpg
    edited September 2012
    @Xzar I can try to make a screen, but retexture a "real" (not just a screen) complete UI, it's a long work (over 300 files to edit).

@Seldar The same with better frames around the portraits :
    http://nsa29.casimages.com/img/2012/09/08/120908065410313827.jpg
    The_New_Romance
    @Bjjorick "you could make a mod for the game that would be this?"

I reply for Daylight... The screen have a great look, but it's impossible to adapt this GUI to the BG2/BGEE engine. He painted this screen for the fun, without take in account the limitation of the engine.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @kerozevok

how would this be limited by the engine? a few buttons moved, a different back ground color, and a small image around the portraits is more the infinity engine can handle? any chance you can explain that one to me?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2012
    @Bjjorick One of the possible limitations I see in the picture is the extra quick access slots at the bottom. We don't know if the new UI engine would allow for 6 buttons as displayed...
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    I really like @Daylight's interpretation of the GUI!
    GrandeC
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    edited September 2012
    Daylight said:

Wanted to try make a different kind of GUI while listening to different kinds of people advices.

I changed the button layout a little bit, extended the text box, made the GUI's backgrounds color resemble somewhat Baldurs Gate 1, kept my portrait frame borders, kept the new icons which "Overhaul" made while making a little bit changes in color scheme, tried to use up all the free space without suffocating GUI too much, changed the new NPC portraits saturation a little bit to make them in harmony with other BG portraits (though Neera still stands out thanks to all that pink) and that's about it.

Took out the extra button which expands the dialogue/battle log.

I still think the buttons on the lower right side could be moved to the wasted space on the left and the Portraits could have names listed.
  • GrandeCGrandeC Member Posts: 26
    Wow @Daylight, you do great work!
    immagikman
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited September 2012
    @kerozevok
    so looking at your picture, this whole project is a waste. I mean, the engine is so severely limited as to have the button on the right hand side, it's impossible to have the text bar all the way across the screen, and it will still only display in 256 colors despite the devs saying that it'll be HD, they need to take the EE out of the title as it's anything but.

As far as the extra slots at the bottom of the screen, i didn't notice those. That makes sense.
    Rhulqdahrgeorgelappies
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Bjjorick We don't know for sure if the new UI has those old limitations. Only a developer could answer that,
    RhulqdahrCrevsDaak
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    @Kerozevok So they rewrote the UI code and came up interface that cannot have wide textbox (widescreen mod has this)? Instead of making better they made it worse?

Whats wrong with the buttons? Using dithering to reduce the colors to 256 on those makes absolutely no visual difference what so ever (yes I tested it).

Drawing borders on top of the portraits should not be problem, Baldur's Gate has long supported transparent stuff. Unless of course while rewriting the UI they broke that too?

Having more than 3 quick spell slots is the only thing I can think of that couldn't be done on old engine. However, if they did actually rewrite the UI I don't see why not increase the number of buttons since there is clearly space for them.
    Rhulqdahr
  • RhulqdahrRhulqdahr Member Posts: 28
    @immagikman

And why do you need the names for? The name is displayed while browsing the character's inventory, the name is present on a character record page and if a character is a caster, his/her name is present in mage spell book or priest spell scroll. Additionally, when you hold the cursor over a portrait, the name and hit points will show up after a certain amount of time, changeable in the options menu. Press TAB for instantaneous effect.

@Kerozevok

That's hardly an explanation, although I can understand the limitation for number of buttons on the bottom. As for the rest of the elements, I think it's doable, maybe 14 years ago it wasn't but now it should be.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    @Daylight Amazing! That is perfect. I hope it can be done in game in similar style.
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    @Daylight Great job, I love how you've toned down the colors a bit. However, I do agree that some of the elements in your rework look a little more scifi/steampunk than high fantasy. Specifically, the arched brackets around the textbox and the arched frames on the portraits look like they would be more at home in Fallout than BG.
    Knettgummi
    edited September 2012
    @mlnevese (and the others) "We don't know for sure if the new UI has those old limitations."

Original GUI : 129 colors (before jpg conversion).

Daylight GUI : 4036 colors....

Paint a screen (without take in account the limitation of the engine) is easy... But even for a game like NWN2 (easy customizable - XML files), you can't do that you want, imagine for a engine coded in 1998/2000.

BGEE remains the Infinity engine and all rules/limitations for the graphic files are valid for BGEE.

>> BAM (buttons) = max 256 colors / MOS (blue background) = DDS (compressed format).
    Post edited by Kerozevok on
    Knettgummi
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    Was there any word in this thread about when the other 10 screenshots mentioned in the OP will be released? I've been reading most of the posts, but maybe I missed one. Only 10 days to release ... 10 days, 10 pics ...
    The_New_Romance
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    I actually prefer the beamdog ones than the photoshop ones .... but then my partner is a lecturer in graphic design and says I have no taste
    Quartz
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    James said:

I actually prefer the beamdog ones than the photoshop ones .... but then my partner is a lecturer in graphic design and says I have no taste

It's kind of a grey-blue marble color eh? I think its growing on me. However, I still like the grey stone/gold/wood combo of the original, so nostalgic.
    reedmilfam

James said:

It's kind of a grey-blue marble color eh? I think its growing on me. However, I still like the grey stone/gold/wood combo of the original, so nostalgic.
    I definitely like the blue, rather the other ones look washed out to me, I agree there needs to be a border around the portraits and possibly the gold is a bit much, but I like the dialogue box centred in the middle I think if goes across the whole screen it takes up too much room.

The only time my aesthetic opinion is consulted in my house is if the gfriend is doing corporate work because apparently I like things dull, bland and symmetrical like most marketing departments, so perhaps that is what Beamdog have done.

Hmmm might see which one she likes best
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    @James
    Probably the GUI was made by beamdog's graphical designer so ignore him, you have good taste (I actually saw 1 shoop that was better).
    James

@James
    Probably the GUI was made by beamdog's graphical designer so ignore him, you have good taste (I actually saw 1 shoop that was better).

An uprising against graphic designers, that's a movement I can get behind
  • HadrielHadriel Member Posts: 13
    I suggest Beamdog hire Daylight and let him redo the user interface.
    Bjjorickgeorgelappiesduneganactionjezus6