Skip to content

On portraits

Comments

• FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    Dee said:
    @Flashburn - previously, the M version and S versions were the only ones that were used. Now, we just use the L version and the M version.

So if you only have an M and an S version, you can get them to show up in-game by changing the M to an L and the S to an M. If you have an L and an S, you can change the S to an M and get the same effect. (NB: If the M portrait is smaller than the Party Roster frame, it won't scale up; it'll be centered within the frame. This is a bug, and it will be fixed.)

In other words, it will require renaming some (lots?) of your custom portraits, but the functionality of using a different image for the Character Sheet and the Party Roster hasn't gone away, just shifted a bit.

Is there some reason/benefit for the change? I mean it just seems like an arbitrary change for the sake of change the way you've described it, creating pointless busy work for those with custom portraits.
    Flashburn
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I had thought they stopped using the small a long time ago.  Most of my portraits are just L & M already.
  • SacredNymSacredNym Member Posts: 13
     @BillyYank @SacredNym I promise I don't mean anything offensive by this, I'm just curious: why do you need so many unused portraits in your portraits folder? I prefer to choose which ones I'm going to use outside of the game and then cycle them in and out. I have them all organized by race, gender, hair color, and potential class.
    Basically the reason I prefer to just leave them all in is because to me, the less work I have to do outside the game in order to play the game, the better. Especially in the case of big portrait packs I find that it feels much more concise to examine and select portraits within the game.

Also I don't really tend to plan my characters ahead, and won't have a solid idea of who I want to be until after I've hit the character creation screen. I just find it easier to think about that once I'm there rather than before, and having to back out of the game because I need to install a different portrait is annoying, and breaks my concentration. I realize this might sound petty but it's just how my mind works.
    mashedtatersIthual
  • DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173
    Dee said:
    @Flashburn - previously, the M version and S versions were the only ones that were used. Now, we just use the L version and the M version.

So if you only have an M and an S version, you can get them to show up in-game by changing the M to an L and the S to an M. If you have an L and an S, you can change the S to an M and get the same effect. (NB: If the M portrait is smaller than the Party Roster frame, it won't scale up; it'll be centered within the frame. This is a bug, and it will be fixed.)

In other words, it will require renaming some (lots?) of your custom portraits, but the functionality of using a different image for the Character Sheet and the Party Roster hasn't gone away, just shifted a bit.

I use a couple of Icewind Dale portraits, L and S, which were both showing in the list but choosing the L portrait didn't apply the S portrait for the party roster. I've changed the S to an M, it no longer shows in the list but its still the L portrait that's being used in the character record and party roster.

What am I doing wrong? :)

Jarrakul
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @SacredNym
    I don't think you're petty at all. That's actually a pretty good point. I find myself clicking in and out of the game a lot because the portrait doesn't look quite right to me after I crop it and set it for the first time. It is kind of annoying, I guess, for some people, but I think selecting, organizing, and editing portraits outside the game is fun and strangely therapeutic. Thanks for sharing.
    IthualGozeta
  • UtopolystUtopolyst Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2016
    Dee wrote: »

@Dee Hey! Really looking forward to the changes. But I'm only seeing halfway the point here. Of course I see the problem with low-res pics - that is the reason why I introduced the Picture Standard, as you probably know. But I don't get, why you didn't just use the large pic sizes for the small pics, like I did with my mod. There aren't that many pics.
    But since you went through all that coding trouble you could've made the whole picture issue right, by assigning these designations:

Character Sheet = L
    Party Rooster = M
    Dialog Box = S

And again, this of course goes without saying, all sizes should be at least 210x330... s, m and l.

Anyway, this might be something to think about in the future...

Cheers.
    mashedtaters
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    so is the game going to be able to tell which gender a custom portrait is? or are all the portraits in the folder going to be select able regardless of the gender we pick?
  • NildarNildar Member Posts: 33
    Does this change also mean you only have to replace the L and M portraits of NPCs if you want to change their look?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Nildar wrote: »
    Does this change also mean you only have to replace the L and M portraits of NPCs if you want to change their look?

Yes.
    NildarJuliusBorisovlolien
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited March 2016
    man that saves me a ton of work thanks alot.

edit: man this was harder then i thought. i never used powershell before and always had issues understanding command lines. my portrait folder is in my baldurs gate enhanced edtion folder in my documents folder. help on what to write would be helpful.
    Post edited by megamike15 on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It does sort of leave you in the same boat as bgee.sql.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Danathion wrote: »
    I use a couple of Icewind Dale portraits, L and S, which were both showing in the list but choosing the L portrait didn't apply the S portrait for the party roster. I've changed the S to an M, it no longer shows in the list but its still the L portrait that's being used in the character record and party roster.What am I doing wrong? :)

I'm having the same issue. I don't want to sound pushy, but being able to have different large and small portraits is kind of a big deal to me. Anyone know why this is happening and what could be causing it?
    edited March 2016
    megamike15 wrote: »
    man that saves me a ton of work thanks alot.

edit: man this was harder then i thought. i never used powershell before and always had issues understanding command lines. my portrait folder is in my baldurs gate enhanced edtion folder in my documents folder. help on what to write would be helpful.

Bring up powershell and an explorer window pointing to your portraits folder.
    7tc2zrz829zs.png

Copy the path from the explorer window.
    5gjzg69vvwhg.png

In powershell, type: cd "
    then right click to paste the path after the quote, then close the quote "
    bv5f1ttbhmp7.png

Now you should be able to run the script.
    khdxb6dkbfzk.png

EDIT: There's something I just remembered. If you do all this and get an error that says something like: Execution of scripts is disabled...
    Then do this first: Close powershell if it's open. Right click on powershell in the start menu and choose Run as Administrator. Once powershell comes up, run this command:
    Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

Close the Adminstrator powershell window and run powershell normally and you should be able to run the script now.
    lolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Jarrakul wrote: »
    Danathion wrote: »
    I use a couple of Icewind Dale portraits, L and S, which were both showing in the list but choosing the L portrait didn't apply the S portrait for the party roster. I've changed the S to an M, it no longer shows in the list but its still the L portrait that's being used in the character record and party roster.What am I doing wrong? :)

I'm having the same issue. I don't want to sound pushy, but being able to have different large and small portraits is kind of a big deal to me. Anyone know why this is happening and what could be causing it?

There's a feature request http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/20446 to allow different custom portraits to be selected for the Character Sheet and the Side bar. We're still to find out how (if) this feature will be implemented.
    bengoshi wrote: »
    There's a feature request http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/20446 to allow different custom portraits to be selected for the Character Sheet and the Side bar. We're still to find out how (if) this feature will be implemented.

For the record, I'm not asking for a new UI feature or anything. I just want the functionality Dee described, where if there is a portrait labelled xyzM.bmp, and you select portrait xyzL.bmp from the menu, xyzM.bmp will be used as the sidebar portrait. Right now, that's not happening for me. Given Dee's description, I'm unsure whether my experience is a bug or a lack of a feature.
    Danathion
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @Dee
    I'm sorry, I'm kind of an idiot...I guess I don't know what you mean when you say add a line. For example, do you mean renaming the portrait from "14MAN" to "14MAN_1"? Or do you mean renaming it like it shows on your screenshot, "14MAN, 1" (that just looks like command code from the game to me). I'm sure the post by @BillyYank explains it well enough, but I haven't even heard of powershell before, so I can't read between the lines of what he is doing there.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    @Dee
    I'm sorry, I'm kind of an idiot...I guess I don't know what you mean when you say add a line. For example, do you mean renaming the portrait from "14MAN" to "14MAN_1"? Or do you mean renaming it like it shows on your screenshot, "14MAN, 1" (that just looks like command code from the game to me). I'm sure the post by @BillyYank explains it well enough, but I haven't even heard of powershell before, so I can't read between the lines of what he is doing there.

@mashedtaters you don't have to rename the portraits, you have to update one of the game files (BGEE.lua) to register the portrait as male (1) or female (2). Unregistered portraits show up in both lists in game. See the new UI modding thread for details about editing the various game files.
    mashedtaters
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2016
    Hear, hear. I don't like this change one bit. It makes using custom portraits too much of a hassle. Some old custom portraits I had played v1.3 without problems show up as blank black spaces, I have no idea why their format is identical, though I can choose them as black empty shots. Some other customs work but as the op said, it is totally user-unfriendly. Please revert it back to what it was.
    JuliusBorisov
    @Dee

@mashedtaters Say you have portraits for a male and a female sorcerer with names like:

FemSorAL.bmp
    FemSorAM.bmp

MalSorBL.bmp
    MalSorBM.bmp

In BGEE.lua, there's a list that ends with:

{'MANLEYX', 2},
    {'BDSHAF1', 2},
    {'BDORCF1', 2}
    }

You just need to add your portraits to that list using the filename without the L or M at the end, so edit that list to say:

{'MANLEYX', 2},
    {'BDSHAF1', 2},
    {'BDORCF1', 2},
    {'MalSorB', 1},
    {'FemSorA', 2}
    }

Now your female sorc will show up in the female list and the male sorc will show up in the male list.
    mashedtaters
    Jarrakul wrote: »
    For the record, I'm not asking for a new UI feature or anything. I just want the functionality Dee described, where if there is a portrait labelled xyzM.bmp, and you select portrait xyzL.bmp from the menu, xyzM.bmp will be used as the sidebar portrait. Right now, that's not happening for me. Given Dee's description, I'm unsure whether my experience is a bug or a lack of a feature.

Okay, disregard this, I solved my problem. Turns out I miscounted the number of characters in some of my file names, which didn't prevent the game from using the portrait, but it did prevent the game from properly associating the L and M portraits. My bad.
    cmk24leeux
    I finally got the beta and I was able to test the results of my script. It works fine, although I did notice an odd bug, which I reported in Redmine. If, when you open the portrait chooser, you start clicking to the left, you have to click multiple times for each portrait. It's like it's counting the L and M versions, even though it only shows the L version. If you start by clicking to the right and page through all the default portraits, when you get to the custom portraits, it works like it should and you only have to click once per portrait.
    JairyannaJuliusBorisovNildar
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    So renaming the S portraits to M does indeed automagically use the correct versions... sometimes.
  • ZeshinXZeshinX Member Posts: 88
    The 2.0 custom portrait selection method sucks. Really sucks. 1.3's method was by far superior.
    GodKaiserHell
  • CaradocCaradoc Member Posts: 92
    Why did they change this? What was the design philosophy behind this change?
    @Dee ,
    There's a problem with exporting BGEE.lua to register the portraits as male or female. After I installed SOD, BG1 wouldn't run. I deleted BGEE.lua from override and it ran. I exported the new BGEE.lua with Near Infinity, thinking that there was an incompatability in the old file, but BG/SOD won't run with BGEE.lua in the override, even if it's the one in the game files without any changes.
    Is there a different file now?
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited March 2016
    Been fiddling with the BGEE.lua file to try the whole automated male/female portrait sorting thing while waiting for SoD to download, but it's just not working. Only difference I seem to be making is for the portraits to duplicate, while still being available for both genders.
    	{'BDORCF1', 2},
    	{'ASSAS1', 1},
    	{'ASSAS2', 1},
    	{'ASSAS3', 1},
    	{'ASSAS4', 1},
    	{'ASSAS6', 2},
    	{'ASSAS8', 2},
    	{'ASSAS9', 2},
    	{'ASSAS10', 2},
    	{'ASSAS11', 2},
    	{'FEMAL1', 2},
    	{'FEMAL2', 2},
    	{'FEMAL3', 2}
    }
    Is the edit I've made; the rest of the list above BDORCF1 is there of course. What am I doing wrong? I'm suspecting I'm using the override folder wrong maybe, not sure whether to use the one in install directory or documents folder.
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2016

Post edited by GodKaiserHell on
    Ardul