Skip to content

BG1NPC Bug Report and Discussion Thread

Comments

• NildarNildar Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2016
    @AstroBryGuy I know it has been asked before, but since the release is right around the corner and I have always wanted to do a playthrough with this awesome looking mod I might as well ask again:

Does BG1NPC work without any problems with v2.0? And can it just be installed normally or do we need any fixpacks or stuff like that to make it work?
    Post edited by Nildar on
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited March 2016
    Nildar said:

@AstroBryGuy I know it has been asked before, but since the release is right around the corner and I have always wanted to do a playthrough with this awesome looking mod I might as well ask again:

Does BG1NPC work without any problems with v2.0? And can it just be installed normally or do we need any fixpacks or stuff like that to make it work?

The answer is the same: I haven't had an chance to try it yet. Hopefully not much.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    Based on this thread in the WeiDU forums at Pocket Plane, an update will be required to install BG1NPC on a BGEE game with SoD installed.

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,29502.0.html
  • Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
    I just checked, the NPC mod is not working. When I got to the Gorion scene with Imoen, her dialogue kept showing up as invalid. However, NPCs have their added portraits.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @AstroBryGuy: If I understand correctly, the current Weidu version can't detect if SoD is present or not, and thus will treat the game with or without SoD as BGEE.

When Weidu is updated to the next version, it will be able to recognize SoD, and treat a game with SoD installed differently from a game without SoD installed, so it will no longer install mods on SoD based installations, until those mods specifically mention it's ok to install on SoD editions of the game. Alternatively, you could use GAME_INCLUDES instead of GAME_IS, and all should work.

I think... I've never actually looked into it. I guess @CamDawg would know for sure?
    Camus34 said:

I just checked, the NPC mod is not working. When I got to the Gorion scene with Imoen, her dialogue kept showing up as invalid. However, NPCs have their added portraits.

Did you reinstall BG1NPC after updating to 2.0? The update will wipe out the modded dialog.tlk file with the new BGEE 2.0 dialog.tlk file.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    That's a pretty good summary, yes. Until v240, GAME_IS ~bgee~ will return true for SoD; you could future-proof it by going to a straight file check or GAME_INCLUDES ~bgee~.

I'll admit to not being terribly familiar with GAME_INCLUDES though.
    I'm updating the GAME_IS checks to ~bgee sod~. IIRC, GAME_INCLUDES doesn't do lists. So for conditions where BG1NPC does a check for GAME_IS ~bgee bgt~, ~tutu tutu_totsc bgee~, etc.., I need to add sod to the check anyway. Might as well be consistent.

Shouldn't be too hard, only about 200 GAME_IS checks to look over. :wink:

Camus34 said:

Did you reinstall BG1NPC after updating to 2.0? The update will wipe out the modded dialog.tlk file with the new BGEE 2.0 dialog.tlk file.
    No I didn't. Also, I've just finished downloading SOD, so I guess that I should perhaps wait for the NPCmod update.

I'm updating the GAME_IS checks to ~bgee sod~. IIRC, GAME_INCLUDES doesn't do lists. So for conditions where BG1NPC does a check for GAME_IS ~bgee bgt~, ~tutu tutu_totsc bgee~, etc.., I need to add sod to the check anyway. Might as well be consistent.

Ouch...

Remember that you cannot release that version until the new WeiDU is out, as the current WeiDU will see sod, have no clue what it means, and skip the entire component.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    When is the next update to the WeiDU ?
    So it won't work with SOD for sure? Why is that?
    @Camus34: It seems your installation got borked if you get the images, but not the text. If you haven't reinstalled the mod after the 2.0 update, then somehow, something was left behind.

What you could do is delete the contents of your override folder, and then install the mod again. That should work, I think.

As for the NPC Project working with SoD, there's no reason to believe it won't. SoD didn't change the original content, only adding new content. 2.0 may have modified some things, but that's also not too likely to be a problem.

If you mean the above issues with WeiDU, you should be safe for now. As long as WeiDU ain't updated to 240, all mods will install the same, whether SoD is present or not. Once 240 has arrived, old mods likely won't install anymore when SoD is installed, and mod owners need to update their mod.
    Thels said:

@Camus34: It seems your installation got borked if you get the images, but not the text. If you haven't reinstalled the mod after the 2.0 update, then somehow, something was left behind.

What you could do is delete the contents of your override folder, and then install the mod again. That should work, I think.

As for the NPC Project working with SoD, there's no reason to believe it won't. SoD didn't change the original content, only adding new content. 2.0 may have modified some things, but that's also not too likely to be a problem.

If you mean the above issues with WeiDU, you should be safe for now. As long as WeiDU ain't updated to 240, all mods will install the same, whether SoD is present or not. Once 240 has arrived, old mods likely won't install anymore when SoD is installed, and mod owners need to update their mod.

Thanks. Just a quick question about the NPC music mod, should it go in the same folder as the npc mod?
    Ok, so I've once again made it to the ambush site with Imoen. However, instead of the dialogue being about Gorion, Imoen is talking about ruby wine in the Duke's cellar, it also seems like her lines should be my character's lines...
    Camus34 said:

Camus34 said:

No I didn't. Also, I've just finished downloading SOD, so I guess that I should perhaps wait for the NPCmod update.
    When you update the base game, you need to reinstall all mods. The override folder should be empty. Start fresh.
    Camus34 said:

Ok, so I've once again made it to the ambush site with Imoen. However, instead of the dialogue being about Gorion, Imoen is talking about ruby wine in the Duke's cellar, it also seems like her lines should be my character's lines...

That's not a line in BG1 or BG1NPC. Did you reinstall the mod and then install SoD? Installing SoD will again overwrite your dialog.tlk. So, the BG1NPC lines will be gone.

Start fresh with a clean SoD install. Nothing in the override. Then install BG1NPC.
    Thels said:

Ouch...

Remember that you cannot release that version until the new WeiDU is out, as the current WeiDU will see sod, have no clue what it means, and skip the entire component.
    Yeah. Fortunately, the only problem I foresee is the epilogue to the Dynaheir Romance. But, I need the GAME_IS ~sod~ check to work to block that on SoD anyway.
    Camus34 said:

Thels said:

Thanks. Just a quick question about the NPC music mod, should it go in the same folder as the npc mod?
    No, it installs from its own folder. It is a separate install.

Camus34 said:

Camus34 said:

When you update the base game, you need to reinstall all mods. The override folder should be empty. Start fresh.
    Camus34 said:

That's not a line in BG1 or BG1NPC. Did you reinstall the mod and then install SoD? Installing SoD will again overwrite your dialog.tlk. So, the BG1NPC lines will be gone.

Start fresh with a clean SoD install. Nothing in the override. Then install BG1NPC.
    So reinstall SOD, then install the NPCmod. I'll give it a try, I'm using steam by the way.
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    Camus34 said:

Camus34 said:

Camus34 said:

Camus34 said:

So reinstall SOD, then install the NPCmod. I'll give it a try, I'm using steam by the way.
    Did it work out for you? I'm on a fresh installation of BG:EE/SoD and I keep hearing about how mods are pretty broken now so I'm hanging back on installing them again.
    Vyrulisse said:

Camus34 said:

Camus34 said:

Camus34 said:

Camus34 said:

Did it work out for you? I'm on a fresh installation of BG:EE/SoD and I keep hearing about how mods are pretty broken now so I'm hanging back on installing them again.
    Just reinstalled SOD and the NPCmod, as per usual, the portraits are working. Once I get Imoen, I will see if the player initiated dialogue is working.
    edited April 2016
    @Vyrulisse unfortunately the clean installation of SOD did not work. When I talk to Imoen it's some sort of dialogue about an Oger warrior, or something, and It's like Imoen has what should be my characters dialogue. It's really strange. I've not uninstalled BG:EE itself however, if there is any point in trying that I will probably do it tomorrow.
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    Well that stinks, guess we should just wait it out hopefully.
    edited April 2016
    Vyrulisse said:

Well that stinks, guess we should just wait it out hopefully.

It must have something to do with dialog.tlk and SOD. Some people are saying that the mod works fine with 2.0, but not with SOD. And the only thing that seems to be messed up is the dialogue itself, the scenes happen at the right time. Edit: One option might be to uninstall SOD, install the NPCmod to 2.0, and just play the game in 2.0. I'm not sure what the mod would do to SOD if one were to then download it, and try to import one's save etc...
    Seems to be working fine so far with SoD installed.

I started with a fresh, clean install of SoD. Installed fine. Dialogs are firing and text references are correct.
    @AstroBryGuy well at least you have proof that it is working. I'm not sure what is going on at my end. I uninstalled the NPCmod, and deleted everything. Then I uninstalled SOD through steam, installed it again, then installed the NPCmod. This might sound silly, but do you install the mod to the Override folder? I did that before, and I got an error when I got to setup.
    No. Install it in the folder with the chitin.key file.
    edited April 2016

No. Install it in the folder with the chitin.key file.

That's what I did. Should I reinstall BG:EE itself? Edit: I mean do a clean install of BG:EE? I don't think it would really help...
    That's what I started with.