Skip to content

BG1NPC Bug Report and Discussion Thread

Comments

• Zaarin_2003Zaarin_2003 Member Posts: 33
    Sorry, that should be 43038, 43990, 43991 and 43992.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Did you reinstall the mod after the patch? Every patch is likely going to overwrite your dialog.tlk with a "clean" version of the file.

After patching the game, you must reinstall *all* mods.
    Cirosan said:

I've already started a game with 22.2, though I haven't entered either the area with the wyverns or Coran yet. Should I uninstall and reinstall with the hotfix version, or would that break the game? Since I haven't entered the affected areas yet, is there a way to fix an existing save game with 22.2 already installed?

If you haven't been to the wyvern cave yet, you should be able to reinstall with the fixed version. If not, once you have defeated the wyverns, add a global variable using EE Keeper:

Name: SPRITE_IS_DEADX#CoranWyvern
    Value: 1
    mrdeluxe said:

Sorry if this has been answered, but how do you install on the Mac GOG version (without SoD)?

Update: I tried follow the instructions here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31155/the-hitchhiker-s-guide-to-installing-mods-on-osx/p1 but I still get the following error:

Please run this program in your Infinity Engine game directory.

FATAL ERROR: Failure("Not a game directory")

Anyone can help? @AstroBryGuy?

EDIT: I think I was able to make it work… I think I was using the wrong setup.command. Will try it and see if it works

You need to find the folder with the chitin.key file and install the mod there. The organization of the game files changed with v2. GOG and Steam don't put files in exactly the same place as the Beamdog installer, so this is my best guess for the location:
    • Go to /Applications/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
    • Right click on the app and select "Show Package Contents".
    • Go to Contents/Resources/game
  • IakusIakus Member Posts: 36
    Hey, I'm not sure if I screwed something up, but....

After the latest patch, when I reinstalled the NPC Project, things seemed to work okay except all player-initiated dialogue with any companion gives me lines that appear to be conversations with Xan (who is not even in my party). I mean, I try to talk to Imoen, Dynaheir, whoever, it's Xan talking. I've had Xan lovetalks coming from Minsc and QUAYLE!

I've tried a fresh install, no luck. Nor does uninstalling and reinstalling the mod. I've even tried installing the mod without the player-initiated dialogue option and I can still get it!

I can live without player-initiated talks. I'm just a bit worried there may be something else screwy that I just haven't noticed yet.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Iakus said:

After the latest patch, when I reinstalled the NPC Project, things seemed to work okay except all player-initiated dialogue with any companion gives me lines that appear to be conversations with Xan (who is not even in my party). I mean, I try to talk to Imoen, Dynaheir, whoever, it's Xan talking. I've had Xan lovetalks coming from Minsc and QUAYLE!

I've tried a fresh install, no luck. Nor does uninstalling and reinstalling the mod. I've even tried installing the mod without the player-initiated dialogue option and I can still get it!

I can live without player-initiated talks. I'm just a bit worried there may be something else screwy that I just haven't noticed yet.

Did you do a clean install of all mods? Because you need to do that. It sounds like the entries in the dialog.tlk which normally hold the player-initiated dialogue are corrupted. It's possible you did everything correctly, but it can't hurt to be sure, right?

Did you reinstall the mod after the patch? Every patch is likely going to overwrite your dialog.tlk with a "clean" version of the file.

Great, thank you! That makes sense.

I assume that works with a game in progress? Do you need to uninstall NPCP first?

Do you just run the NPC mod setup file? That appears to uninstall and reinstall, correct?

Do you just run the NPC mod setup file? That appears to uninstall and reinstall, correct?
    That depends. If you have a Steam version of the game, you need to run ModMerge before installing ANY mods.

Ideally, you should uninstall, patch the game, and then reinstall the mod. If you have already patched, uninstall and then reinstall the mod.
  • IakusIakus Member Posts: 36

Iakus said:

Did you do a clean install of all mods? Because you need to do that. It sounds like the entries in the dialog.tlk which normally hold the player-initiated dialogue are corrupted. It's possible you did everything correctly, but it can't hurt to be sure, right?
    I tried uninstalling, then downloading and installing a fresh copy of the mod as well, with no luck.

In the end I deleted everything, reinstalled the game and fresh copies of the mods. A pain, but it gave me a good excuse to install modmerger so I can have SoD installed as well. Now everything seems to be working.
  • axellsladeaxellslade Member Posts: 47
    I have this really weird bug with BG1NPC where all the NPCs introduced by the mod had their names replaced by journal entries. This happened after the last patch, I then proceeded to reinstall the whole game and fresh intall all mods in the same order as before, the problem persists.
    Here's a screenshot. That's the NPC name in-game.

Most likely, you're using an old saved game.

Saved games store copies of the area files for areas you have visited and copies of the creature files in those areas. Those area files and creature files will have string references to the dialog.tlk file pre-update. Post-update, if those string references change (e.g., Beamdog adds N strings to the dialog.tlk file, so all mod-installed strings are now shifted by N after re-installation), then the mod-added creatures in areas you have visited will have their names pointing to the incorrect string.

There is no way to fix this other than to start a new game, or manually edit all the ARE and CRE files stored in your saved game.
  • axellsladeaxellslade Member Posts: 47

Most likely, you're using an old saved game.

Saved games store copies of the area files for areas you have visited and copies of the creature files in those areas. Those area files and creature files will have string references to the dialog.tlk file pre-update. Post-update, if those string references change (e.g., Beamdog adds N strings to the dialog.tlk file, so all mod-installed strings are now shifted by N after re-installation), then the mod-added creatures in areas you have visited will have their names pointing to the incorrect string.

There is no way to fix this other than to start a new game, or manually edit all the ARE and CRE files stored in your saved game.

Thank you for the clarification. Since it's only the NPC names that got wacky and their dialogs work fine, I'll keep playing since it's not keeping me from completing their quests and the like.
  • GrunkerGrunker Member Posts: 46
    Dumb question, but I just can't seem to find the answer anywhere: does BG1NPC add dialogue between old NPCs and BG:EE NPCs? Or is that core BG:EE content?
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    @AstroBryGuy I just want to thank you for all your hard work. There are only a few mods that I'd consider "must have" and this is one of them.

I'm finally going to be updating from v1.3 (I wanted to give some time for bugs to be worked out, and mods to be udpated). Would you recommend I completely uninstall my game and reinstall, patch, then add mods? Or would I be safe with just patching and then reinstalling mods? I'll be starting a brand new character of course.
    Pteran said:

I'm finally going to be updating from v1.3 (I wanted to give some time for bugs to be worked out, and mods to be udpated). Would you recommend I completely uninstall my game and reinstall, patch, then add mods? Or would I be safe with just patching and then reinstalling mods? I'll be starting a brand new character of course.

The typical recommendation is to download & install the patch (via Beamdog or Steam or GoG), then to run ModMerge if you have Steam/GoG, and then to install all of your mods again.
    Grunker said:

Dumb question, but I just can't seem to find the answer anywhere: does BG1NPC add dialogue between old NPCs and BG:EE NPCs? Or is that core BG:EE content?

There is no content added for the EE NPCs (Neera, Dorn, Rasaad, Baeloth) by BG1NPC.
    Pteran said:

@AstroBryGuy I just want to thank you for all your hard work. There are only a few mods that I'd consider "must have" and this is one of them.

I'm not sure what the vendor you purchased from does during a v1.3->v2.1 upgrade, but you wouldn't want any leftover modded files from v1.3. So, I'd recommend either going with a fresh install or uninstalling all mods, patching, and then reinstalling mods.
  • NildarNildar Member Posts: 33
    I was thinking about starting a male dwarven fighter/cleric, but for some reason no single NPC in BG1NPC (or BG2 for that matter) outside of the EE npcs (and I don't want to romance Neera or an evil character) is available for romance.

When looking around for a mod to fix this the only thing I could find was the BG2 Tweak pack to remove race (and gender I guess) restrictions from the love interests. I did find some statements about it being used for BG1(NPC), but nothing definitive. So I was wondering if this mod also works for the BG1NPC npc's or is there a better mod out there that I am unaware of?
    AFAIK, the Tweaks Anthology component only works for original BG2 romances.

You would have to either edit the script code that sets the romance match variable to exclude the relevant checks or use the console to set the match variable in game.

C:SetGlobal("X#AjantisRomanceMatch","GLOBAL",1)
    C:SetGlobal("P#BranMatch","GLOBAL",1)
    C:SetGlobal("P#CoranMatch","GLOBAL",1)
    C:SetGlobal("X#DynahMatch","GLOBAL",1)
    C:SetGlobal("X#SharMatch","GLOBAL",1)
    C:SetGlobal("X#XANMatch","GLOBAL",1)
  • NildarNildar Member Posts: 33
    Thank you :)
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @AstroBryGuy: Since there are more people interested, any chance this mod could have "No Romance Requirements" and "Multiple Romances" components built in for the romance options this mod provides?

Or would that be lots of work/too messy?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    so what is the estimate for the banter timers? I know normal is 27 minutes but what about the rest?

so what is the estimate for the banter timers? I know normal is 27 minutes but what about the rest?

Normal banter timing: ~27 minutes between banter dialogs
    Faster banters: ~20 minutes between banter dialogs
    Very fast banters: ~13 minutes between banter dialogs
    Slower banters: ~40 minutes between banter dialogs
    Very slow banters: ~55 minutes between banter dialogs
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Does this work with SoD? Because it seems that the mod's confusing it's lines with SoD's; when I pick up Gorion's scroll from his body, Imoen starts talking about Ruby Wine, and when I meet Elminster for the first time, she starts spouting some of the goblin mage's lines.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Malicron
    Are you playing on Steam?
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,673
    @Malicron If you have SoD from Steam or GOG, you need to run the modmerge tool, first, before being able to mod the game (WeiDU doesn't recognize the correct dialog.tlk since the expansion comes inside a zip):
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1
    jastey said:

@Malicron If you have SoD from Steam or GOG, you need to run the modmerge tool, first, before being able to mod the game (WeiDU doesn't recognize the correct dialog.tlk since the expansion comes inside a zip):
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1

Thanks, @Jastey - I put a note about this on the OP.