Skip to content

Elf or Half Elf, the dilemma.

The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. Elf or Half Elf, the dilemma.65 votes
    1. Elf (come on, come on, you know you like to stack those bonuses)
      58.46%
    2. Half Elf (you won't really notice in the long run, besides, elves are snobs)
      41.54%

Comments

• LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    thespace wrote: »
    In preparation for SoD, and trying to create "the perfect character" for me to play, I feel torn between choosing elf or half elf. I'm pretty sure my class will be either fighter/mage, fighter/thief or kensai. I love the RP idea of half elf, however, i find it hard to give up the superiority of the elf, stat wise, with their potential +2 thaco over half elves with bows straight off the bat (and +1 with swords), compounded by lower thief skills. It seems like these differences mean even more when multiclassing. How do you all deal with the struggle?

If it's a RP delema only you can answer that.

Game mechanics? that's easy. Gnome is the best race in the game. But if you're taking any kind of thief and it has to be elf or half-elf the +dex is the way to go. The -1 to con is doesnt help HP but its trivial especially if you can summon a familiar.

The biggest factor is weapon selection. if you LOVE long swords and bows then elf, any other weapon probably half elf.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I like quartered elves the most... they're bite-sized and all. o:)

An half-elf's only worth in my eyes is that they can be Druids and Shamans. For all other class needs, I'd go with pure-blooded pointy ears.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    thespace wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure my class will be either fighter/mage, fighter/thief or kensai.

If it's not a fighter/mage, go dwarf. Nothing can beat their CON and extra saving throws. SwordsDwarfs, not words!

But if you want these pointy ears, go with an elf. You want to hit as often as possible, and Burning Earth is a great weapon. Also, in SoD (we already know) there will be Fleshripper +2, a shortbow. THAC0 +2, damage +2, 5% chance of hasting the wielder for 4 rounds with each hit; +2 Movement speed while equipped (from the description). Elven bonuses will help greatly.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2016
    I'm picking this since it means I have more class choice. Also in BG2 Viconia won't romance an elf. So that is another reason :)
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    elminster wrote: »
    I'm picking this since it means I have more class choice. Also in BG2 Viconia won't romance an elf. So that is another reason :)
    If you can believe it, that restriction is literally what got me started on modding/SKing way back in the day.

A travesty that she would be such a racist. NOT IN MY GAME!
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I always liked that about her. It shows her inability to escape the cultural prejudices of her people. Something that really suits her character. She left the underdark, but her heart and mind remain trapped there.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Heh...I appear to be all on my own here :)
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    If you can choose elf then elf, hybrids are only for certain class combos
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    If you can choose elf then elf, hybrids are only for certain class combos

and bards.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Once you go elf, you never go back.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    In all honesty, for rp it depends on what you want. I think half-elves are more fun. But you do get more power for an elf.
    I like elven fighter/mages, and half-elven stalkers. I like elven archers, and half-elven fighter/clerics. I like elven fighter/thieves, and half-elven straight thieves. It really depends on the feel of the character I'm trying to make.
    Sounds like you're leaning towards half-elf, so that's what I voted. That extra bonus isn't really that noticeable, especially late game. I always go for rp reasons over power.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    edited March 2016
    I usually play half elf more often than elf because of multiclass choices (fighter/druid, cleric/mage...). Also from a role play perspective, even though I don't know much about d&d set up and I might get it completely wrong, I find it weird for an elf to adventure in cities where mostly human live. To me it is more likely that you will bump into half elves rather than pure elves.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    I thought elves were fighter mages as a class/race in basic, not mages. It's been a long time since I cracked open a red box. I know all dwarves were fighters and all Halfings thieves though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    RP is more important than any other consideration to me. From an RP standpoint, Half-Elves make great main characters. Not really a part of any race but with a natural charisma and appearance that most people find appealing.

I'm sure the fact this makes them naturally the best pickpockets has nothing to do with my choice. :*
    (But something that makes them even more appealing as bards).
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    And one Gnome to rule them all.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Elves are completely unlikeable. Option 2 is half decent though.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Elves are obviously better than their tainted kin but elves can't romance Viconia. So pick a Half Elf every time.
  • Ark_ToleiArk_Tolei Member Posts: 69
    The differences are marginal enough that RP flavor takes precedence. If you want a mechanical reason to justify your decision, with any of the fighter types a pure elf has fewer HP than a half elf, without getting any extra AC out of the deal, which leads of a half elf having objectively superior survivability.

For the kensai in particular, being an elf over a half-elf is probably just a downgrade since the thaco bonus isn't terribly useful and they lose out on hp, which their only means of survival. For the others, the thaco bonus is more meaningful, but they can equip the +con buckler in conjunction with the tome for auto-regen. Elves can never do that.
  • MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    Come on, you can't romance Viconia with an elf !!! How can you vote for this option !
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    I like half elves, just not for those 3 classes.
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    Fighter/Mage and Fighter/Thief make great immortals...Pale elf fighter/mage my favorite MainChar.

But when I want to romance Vic, I like a half elf.

Kensai a half elf makes more sense, but I played an Elf longsword kensai once and by mid to late BG2ee(SoA) he was pretty awesome. Encounters ended very abruptly, as soon as Viconia's truesight and Edwin's breach occurred, whirling elf blades=gibbets, 1st round before Dorn got to go.