Skip to content

EE Keeper for OS X via Wineskin

Comments

• Cal_ElCal_El Member Posts: 56
    Your the Man Astro... found the location and works lovely... Thanks alot!
    AstroBryGuy
  • misteridmisterid Member Posts: 39
    Anyone have a timeline for Icewind Dale support via the EE Keeper in the wrapper?

Id
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @Troodon80‌ has released EE Keeper version 1.0.2.6. The Wineskin wrappers have been updated to this latest version. See the first post of the thread for download links.

For Steam and GOG users, I would like to compile a list of game install and save game folders for others to use as a reference. If you purchased BGEE/BG2EE/IWDEE for OSX on Steam or GOG, please post those folder locations here so that I can update the information in the first post.

For more info on the 1.0.2.6 update to EE Keeper, see @Troodon80's post here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/573772/#Comment_573772
  • misteridmisterid Member Posts: 39
    edited November 2014
    @AstroBryGuy‌ Sweet! Thanks.

Well, crap. I cannot get the installation directory to change. I am using the Beamdog version and followed the instructions from the first post, but no luck. Any ideas?

UPDATE:

Oppsie. When I updated my EE Keeper I accidentally used an old 1.0.0 zip version. That explains a lot don't you think?

Id
    Post edited by misterid on
    @Troodon80 has released EE Keeper version 1.0.2.8. The Wineskin wrappers have been updated to this latest version. See the first post of the thread for download links.

For more info on the 1.0.2.7 and 1.0.2.8 updates to EE Keeper, see @Troodon80's posts here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/609972/#Comment_609972
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/610595/#Comment_610595
    Troodon80
    @Troodon80 has released EE Keeper version 1.0.2.9. The Wineskin wrappers have been updated to this latest version. See the first post of the thread for download links.

For more info on the 1.0.2.9 update to EE Keeper, see @Troodon80's posts here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/620740/#Comment_620740
    Troodon80
  • cdawgBGEEcdawgBGEE Member Posts: 1
    Cal_El said:

Hey Cal_El

I am trying the same thing as you had done a while ago. DO you happen to know the exact details to type into the installation directory for BG:EE. I have spent ages trying to figure this out but having the same error that you had.

Or can you direct me though the file system in the browse part of installation directory.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

edited May 2015
    cdawgBGEE said:

Cal_El said:

Hey Cal_El

I am trying the same thing as you had done a while ago. DO you happen to know the exact details to type into the installation directory for BG:EE. I have spent ages trying to figure this out but having the same error that you had.

Or can you direct me though the file system in the browse part of installation directory.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

I updated the information on the first post, but here is where to find the Installation Directory and User Save Data Directory for all EE games and downloads (on OSX):

Purchased from Beamdog
    [spoiler]Installation Folder:
    • BGEE: Z:\Applications\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Game Data\00777\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app\Contents\Resources
    • BG2EE: Z:\Applications\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\Game Data\00782\BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app\Contents\Resources
    • IWDEE: Z:\Applications\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition\Game Data\00799\IcewindDale.app\Contents\Resources
    User Save Data Directory:
    • BGEE: Z:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\
    • BG2EE: Z:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\
    • IWDEE: Z:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition\
    Where USERNAME is your OSX username.[/spoiler]

Purchased from Mac App Store:
    • BGEE: Z:\Applications\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app\Contents\Resources
    • BG2EE: Z:\Applications\BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app\Contents\Resources
    • IWDEE: Z:\Applications\IcewindDale.app\Contents\Resources
    • BGEE: Z:\Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition\Data\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\
    • BG2EE: Z:\Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition\Data\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\
    • IWDEE: Z:\Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.overhaulgames.iwdee-macos\Data\Documents\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition\
    Where USERNAME is your OSX username.
    [/spoiler]

Purchased from Steam:
    • BGEE: Z:\Library\Application Support\Steam\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app\Contents\Resources
    • BG2EE: Z:\Library\Application Support\Steam\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app\Contents\Resources
    • IWDEE: Z:\Library\Application Support\Steam\SteamApps\common\Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition\IcewindDale.app\Contents\Resources
    • BGEE: Z:\Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition\Data\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\
    • BG2EE: Z:\Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition\Data\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition\
    • IWDEE: Z:\Users\USERNAME\Library\Containers\com.overhaulgames.iwdee-macos\Data\Documents\Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition\
    [/spoiler]

Purchased from GOG:
    • BGEE: Z:\Applications\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app\Contents\Resources\game\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app\Contents\Resources
    • BG2EE: Z:\Applications\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition.app\Contents\Resources\game\BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app\Contents\Resources
    • IWDEE: Z:\Applications\Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition.app\Contents\Resources\game\IcewindDale.app\Contents\Resources
    [/spoiler]
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    Gate70Troodon80
    @Troodon80 has released EE Keeper version 1.0.3.0. The Wineskin wrappers have been updated to this latest version. See the first post of the thread for download links.

For more info on the 1.0.3.0 update to EE Keeper, see @Troodon80's post here:

http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/650982/#Comment_650982
    AdsoTroodon80JuliusBorisov
    edited July 2015
    @Troodon80 has released EE Keeper version 1.0.3.2. The Wineskin wrappers have been updated to this latest version.

http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/653923/#Comment_653923

Download link for OSX version:
    https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/EEKeeper-OSX/releases/tag/1.0.3.2

NEW FEATURE FOR v1.0.3.2 on OSX!

EE Keeper had been storing its configuration file, eekeeper.ini inside the EEKeeper app package. This has been changed as of v1.0.3.2 to store the preference file in $HOME/Library/Preferences/EEKeeper.

How to Save Your Current eekeeper.ini File:
    [spoiler]
    • Before you download EE Keeper v1.0.3.2, go to your EEKeeper app.
      • Right click on the app icon and select "Show Package Contents".
      • Click on "drive_c" and then "EEKeeper".
      • While holding down the Command (⌘) key, copy the file eekeeper.ini to your Desktop.
    • Download EE Keeper v1.0.3.2. Extract the archive and copy to your Applications folder.
    • Run EE Keeper v1.0.3.2 once to set up the Preferences folder. It will give a warning - just cancel and quit.
    • Go to the Finder. Hold down the Option (alt) key and click on the Go menu. Select "Library" (Note: Library won't be available if you don't hold down the Option key).
      • Navigate to Library->Preferences->EEKeeper. There should be a file called eekeeper.ini here.
      • Copy your old eekeeper.ini from the Desktop to Library->Preferences->EEKeeper.
    • Launch EE Keeper again. Your old preferences should be working!
    Note: In future updates, you can just copy the new app to the Applications folder. It will no longer overwrite the eekeeper.ini file since it's now stored outside the app package![/spoiler]
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    JuliusBorisovTroodon80
  • GwaelanGwaelan Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I remember this being a great tool / port. But: Since I updated my OS to OSX 10.11 El Capitan, the EE Keeper doesn't work anymore. It seems to have to do something with the X11 code.
    Is somebody out there experienced enough to tell me / us what to do with the OS to get the EE Keeper working again?
    Thanks in advance!
    Troodon80
    Looks like an update is needed for the wrapper to Wineskin 2.6.1 - older versions don't work on El Capitan (still on Yosemite myself). I'll try to find some time this weekend.

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-view_blog_post.php?postId=82
    JuliusBorisovTroodon80Gwaelan
    The update is available!

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/EEKeeper-OSX/releases/tag/1.0.3.2a

The only changes are to update the Wineskin wrapper to 2.6.1 and the Wineskin engine to 1.7.52 for El Capitan (OS X 10.11) compatibility. No changes to EE Keeper itself.

Note - I do not have El Capitan. I tested this release on my Mac, but I'm running Yosemite. So, let me know if it still does not work on El Capitan.
    GwaelanJuliusBorisovTroodon80
  • GwaelanGwaelan Member Posts: 2
    works like a charm!
  • BARBAROSSABARBAROSSA Member Posts: 17
    I am still experiencing problems with the dialog.tlk file, which is apparently nowhere to be found, even though I did place a copy of the dialog.tlk file inside the en_US lang folder in every single folder pertaining the game. I did fix this problem a year ago, but I really forgot how to and I remember spending a whole day trying to get it to work. Please help me.
    EEKeeper will know where to find the dialog.tlk file; you don't need to drop copies everywhere. You do need to go into Settings->Installation Directory and set the Installation Directory, Game Language, and User Save Data Directory.

The location of these directories depends on the store you purchased from (and which game you are setting up). You can find all the directory information on the first post of this thread.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/25118/ee-keeper-for-os-x-via-wineskin-updated-to-1-0-3-2a/p1
  • MestarMestar Member Posts: 78
    I'm having no luck with the update.

It's been a while since I've tried to use EEKeeper so I just upgraded. Before and after upgrade, same issue.

I open EEKeeper and nothing happens. I wait for a few minutes then everything that's open crashes and closes, screen flickers as if I had just turned on the computer.
    @Mestart - *Every* application that is open crashes? What version of OS X are you running? Do you get Problem Report windows for the applications that crash?
    edited November 2015
    Every. OSX El Capitan V 10.11.1.

No messages or anything. Right about 2 minutes and 45 seconds into this video.

https://www.facebook.com/RichSlezak/videos/10207495098283191/?pnref=story
    Are you running the latest version of EEKeeper? The video is too blurry to read any text, so I can't tell the version number. In the video, it looked like you downloaded the "master branch" which is actually nothing but the README (I use GitHub to distribute the app, but there's no source code to store on Git). If that's what you downloaded, then you probably never upgraded EEKeeper-OSX and are still using the old version, which uses a version of Wineskin that doesn't work on El Capitan.

The latest EEKeeper-OSX can be found here:

Release page: https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/EEKeeper-OSX/releases/tag/v1.0.3.2a
    Direct link to file: https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/EEKeeper-OSX/releases/download/v1.0.3.2a/EEKeeper-v1.0.3.2a.zip

Looks like I had downloaded the wrong one. Ty for the direct link. I couldn't find a download link in the page linked in the first post so I wandered around until I found one. Ty again!

Still, that seems like an interesting reaction on my computer's part.
    AstroBryGuy
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    Thank you
  • icebrrrgicebrrrg Member Posts: 6
    Anyone else having problems loading EEKEEPER resources ain BG2EE and BGEE after downloading Siege of DragonSpear? Everything was working well for me before the 31s, and now, can't load resources. I'm on a Mac using Steam. I read the other forum at

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/16497/ee-keeper-updated-to-v1-0-3/p45

and it said there were changes made ...
    icebrrrg said:

Anyone else having problems loading EEKEEPER resources ain BG2EE and BGEE after downloading Siege of DragonSpear? Everything was working well for me before the 31s, and now, can't load resources. I'm on a Mac using Steam. I read the other forum at

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/16497/ee-keeper-updated-to-v1-0-3/p45

and it said there were changes made ...

BGEEv2 moved the location of the game resources.

If you downloaded direct from Beamdog, The resources are now outside of the app package. Assuming you installed in the standard locations, here are the correct Installation Directory entries:

BGEEv2: Z:\Applications\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Game Data\00777\

SoD: Z:\Applications\Baldur's Gate - Siege of Dragonspear\Game Data\00806\

If you downloaded from Steam or GOG, I don't know what the new locations are.
    edited April 2016

That's the issue. I bought through Steam, and while I know where my save files are, the new resource locations are unknown. The old resource directories are there but they no longer work.

I have a feeling this will be addressed soon but was wondering if anyone stumbled across the answer yet. Thanks!
    edited April 2016
    icebrrrg said:

That's the issue. I bought through Steam, and while I know where my save files are, the new resource locations are unknown. The old resource directories are there but they no longer work.

I have a feeling this will be addressed soon but was wondering if anyone stumbled across the answer yet. Thanks!
    It is the folder than contains the chitin.key file. Given how Beamdog changed the file organization in its version, the Steam location might be:

Z:\Library\Application Support\Steam\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

But, that's just a guess. I bought the game direct from Beamdog, so I can't verify that.

EDIT: General call to Steam/GOG downloaders - if you can verify the location of the chitin.key file for BGEE and BG2EE v2.0, please post to this thread.

Thanks!
    Is there a new wrapper download now that Troodon has updated the executable to handle SOD?
    icebrrrg said:

Is there a new wrapper download now that Troodon has updated the executable to handle SOD?

Yes. https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/EEKeeper-OSX/releases
  • demon9675demon9675 Member Posts: 30
    Hello All,

Many thanks to AstroBryGuy for making Wineskin versions of this great app!

Unfortunately I've run into an issue with BG2EE 2.0 and the latest Wineskin version of EE Keeper on OS 10.11. While EE Keeper starts up and loads the game resources just fine (the installation path has not changed since the BG2EE update), I am unable to load any saved games without getting the following message:

"The program EEKeeper.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Below that error message is another Wine-unique prompt: "This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine. You may want to check the Application Database for tips about running this application."

I'm using the wrapped EE Keeper download linked in the post immediately above this one. Is my version of Wine somehow out of date or broken? Is this a known bug with BG2EE 2.0? Might this have to do with OS 10.11's System Integrity Protection feature which prevents apps from accessing root files (I seem to remember running into an issue with this when I first installed an earlier version of EE Keeper about a year ago)?

Any help would be much appreciated!
    @demon9675 - Sorry, I can't replicate that issue with either IWDEEv1.4 or BGEEv2.3; EE Keeper works fine on my system. Do you only have the problem with BG2EE, or does the problem occur with BGEE as well?

Note, I'm also on Yosemite. The latest release was updated with a Wineskin that is supposed to be El Capitan compatible. This is the latest version of the Wineskin wrapper (2.6.2). So, if there still are El Capitan issues with Wineskin, there's not much I can do to fix them.