Skip to content

Favorite Sport?

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
edited April 2016 in Off-Topic
I was wondering what everyone's favorite sport was, out of interest.

I know there are a lot of Canadians, so I expect to see some hockey, and I'm sure most people abroad would vote for footy, but its worth testing my theory out.

Me, I love basketball and basketball and football(soccer!) a ton, but with a slight preference for football.

I'm only counting conventional sports, not things like martial arts or racing.
  1. Favorite Sport?44 votes
    1. Basketball
      13.64%
    2. Hockey
        6.82%
    3. Association Football
      15.91%
    4. Tennis
        0.00%
    5. Baseball/Softball
        2.27%
    6. American Football
      15.91%
    7. Golf
        2.27%
    8. Volleyball
        0.00%
    9. Cricket
        4.55%
    10. Other
      38.64%

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Competitive Napping.

Followed by snorkeling and scuba diving. Although a fine trekking tour occasional is fine as well.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    How are martial arts non-conventional?
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

Me, I love basketball and basketball and football(soccer!) a ton, but with a slight preference for football.

Ah, football ekes out a victory because basketball and basketball are splitting the vote.

Is the question about watching or about playing?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Euro2016!!!
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Cricket obviously, i'm not very good and don't pay much attention to it but if I havr to choose. Otherwise mountain biking is my favourite.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I have the most fun playing basketball, but I don't watch it. I don't watch a lot of sports, actually. :/ Except for the Olympics, anyway. :D

Archery is fun too. :)
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Out of those I only play golf, and don't really watch any of them.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I love playing basketball, played on my elementary and high school teams, but I never watch it though, in fact I never watch tv much anyways, except for lucifer
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited April 2016
    Bodybuilding along with some cardio. But, I would also like to combine it with some social sport :wink:
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Fencing.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    joluv said:

Ah, football ekes out a victory because basketball and basketball are splitting the vote.

Is the question about watching or about playing?
    Football wins because I like it more, and because the super-delegates were not strong enough.

As far as watching v. playing goes, I'll let you decide. Factor in both, but please express if you have a different answer for watching and playing.
    iKrivetko said:

How are martial arts non-conventional?

It is a competition I have great respect for, but as I was only given 10 options I decided to add the sports that have heavy participation in highschools and colleges in the USA or in the UK and Europe. Definitely a bias in favor of US and European sport, but that is where most people on this forum tend to be from. Cricket is included not only because it is popular in the UK, but is the second most watched and played sport in the world.

Things like martial arts, racing (which may or may not count depending on who you ask) or "athletics" all fall in the "other" category, which I left open ended.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    In that case, basketball for watching and rugby for playing. I choose basketball in the poll because I want to back a viable candidate. RIP rugby/Lincoln Chafee.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ...fighting sports, martial arts...
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    joluv said:

In that case, basketball for watching and rugby for playing. I choose basketball in the poll because I want to back a viable candidate. RIP rugby/Lincoln Chafee.

#feelthechafe
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I'm a big fan of the team nature of US football, but never played it. Basketball was my favotie to play, but that's been a while too. In fact, the closest I've come to playing any sports recently is bowling.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    cross-country skiing! Because not feelings your legs anymore goes so well with not feeling your ears either!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I prefer playing tennis since it's so fast and involves bursts of speed and swinging around a blunt object, but basketball is the most fun thing to watch. Unlike most games, basketball has a very large ball and a very small court, which means you can see things a lot more easily. You never lose track of the ball, and you get to see all of the players' movements at once. You don't have to keep your eye on a green ball zipping across a green background (tennis) or figure out which hockey player the puck is hiding behind.

Most importantly, though, there is basically zero downtime between plays. They jump right into each play without having to plan it out beforehand, and every player always has something important to do at a given time. No standing around in the outfield waiting for stuff to happen, or running along the soccer field in case the ball comes your way. No game time spent in a huddle, planning instead of playing. Basketball moves really fast all the time.

It helps that I grew up watching the San Antonio Spurs, and those guys pull off really brilliant plays together.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Calvinball
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    ... Blitzball I guess? But I HATE blitzball so....
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    Love my College Football. Utah Ute fan here.
    edited April 2016
    SethDavis said:

... Blitzball I guess? But I HATE blitzball so....

I actually love Blitzball a lot, and always wished that it had more customization/chargen options for those on your team. Like, if Squeenix came out with a new Blitzball game every year like other sports games do, I would buy the new one every year like a chump.

I literally spent more in-game hours playing Blitzball than I did playing the rest of the game, and I liked FF X just fine!
    It's the One Sport To Rule Them All
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    edited April 2016
    Wow, not that many people hold tennis in high regard, huh? :/
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Lacrosse.
  • OudynOudyn Member Posts: 74
    Chessboxing, because it's hilarious that it even exists.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    None. I don't like sport (neither active nor passively watching).