Skip to content

The New UI System: How to Use It

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Smart to reduce the number of screens. That's for sure. I'm not sure I like the loss of ui that much, it removes some flair from the game.

And to me it looks like more rsi inducing since you make the same movement every time (bottom left to playable area) ;). Before you had to use the whole screen for stuff. Then again, most people never click on portraits and the menus anymore but use quick keys.
  • chilvencechilvence Member Posts: 50
    Well, the loss of flair isn't really intentional, I'd have to settle on the layout before even considering re-instating that. I like a bit of ornate UI, but form should always follow function :) . I do have my own hotkeys as well, but I can't go all the way down that road and do full keyboard style, or I'll have no free hand to hold my beer, and that would be tragic.

The main problem I have with the standard UI, is that on my gigantic TV, I literally have to turn my head back and forth just to look at different bits of it. So to have a horizontal party layout, along with their actions and equipment visible right next to it is quite a relief. It's also incredibly nice being able to just peek in a characters inventory without blotting out the game window and breaking the flow of the game - even just after a couple of hours, I've found it easier to remember to actually use some of my hoard of equipment, instead of forgetting about it and letting it rot. This is just a really raw test, but I do plan to continue developing it.

As far as what you said about the movement, that was the whole point, minimal movement, close together. The way it is as standard, I think I move my hands several miles a day because it is just.... all over the place. Like... everywhere. Again, big TV doesn't help...
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    is it possible to assign custom song (from songlist.ids) to be played in menus? I can't find the part responsible for it.
  • faithtadorafaithtadora Member Posts: 4
    I have a question. How do you get to the programming? All I can find is the Baldur.lua file and I changed it so I can now edit in the game and find the line numbers, but I cant figure out how to get to the games main programming to make the autoroller. I am not very computer savvy so any help would be appreciated.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @faithtadora

The last couple pages in the patch notes are devoted to making an autoroller.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/uploads/editor/qi/0e5wl55bvdcp.pdf
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    @smeagolheart
    That is the page I have been using. The problem is I cant find the UI.menu that it wants me to open, all I can find is the .lua file.
    @lefreut
    If you could give me a step by step on how to find these folders I would really appreciate it.
    @faithtadora You have to make the change to allow ui editing as described on page one of this thread, then actually enter the edit mode in game and click on something (I moved a piece of UI a milimeter than moved it right back) then exit the mode and it will create a ui.menu in your override folder of your game (for me that folder is D:\BeamDog\00783\override )
    @smeagolheart
    Does it matter that I dowloaded the EE from steam? I can find the override folder on the Disk edition of regular Baldur's Gate, but not for the EE from steam. Would it be in a different location, or do they even give you access to it?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    On mine it's:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\override

Note that override doesn't always exist, sometimes you have to create it, though I would think that enabling UI mode would create it for you.
    Thank you, finally found it!
    "enabling UI mode would create it for you."

It did for me when I saved it.
  • Dameon2Dameon2 Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2016
    whyyyyyyyyy.. Why F11 and F5..... those are used game keys.. AND they are ones that I use for my hot bar, AND they are seemingly unchangeable
    Anyone know how I can change these UI edit keys to something else?? I don't see how I can edit the UI without unequipped my item slots because hitting F11 is always gonna use an item paused or not when trying to edit the main game play UI.. this also means I have to leave the enable UI edit line at 0 until I specifically want to use it :/

I don't get it... any way to change either the F1-F12 keys (would rather not as i use them) OR change the keys to edit UI.
    Post edited by Dameon2 on
    Mr2150
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    For me is two huge main issues with 2.0

1.)the character animation have these vertical black lines on all backgrounds. I loaded the same exact save on 1.3UI GOG and on 2.0UI Beamdog and only the 2.0UI has these weird vertical black lines. It is NOT a display driver issue as i have just proved.

2.) the up-down arrows in the dialog box wont work, and i can't make the dialog box small medium or large.

This just again break the immersion for me.

Hope these issue are addressed.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174

2.) the up-down arrows in the dialog box wont work, and i can't make the dialog box small medium or large.

You can click on the top of the box and drag it to whatever size.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    Or you can also use the keys pgup & pgdown.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    You can create two buttons and use the increase decrease code that is used in the pgup pgdn functions. Then you have it back
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    1.)the character animation have these vertical black lines on all backgrounds. I loaded the same exact save on 1.3UI GOG and on 2.0UI Beamdog and only the 2.0UI has these weird vertical black lines. It is NOT a display driver issue as i have just proved.
    Don't suppose you have a screenshot of that? I haven't seen it
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Weird question but maybe someone knows. Would it be possible to use the scroll wheel to scroll through a list of buttons? Was thinking about it for the character record sheet.

Was thinking it could be a nice middle ground between using buttons to jump to the exact info you want and the ease of scrolling through a list.
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    edited April 2016
    I moved all the quickloot slots to the right of the dialogue window, and sorted them in 2 lines of 5. When I reloaded some time later and enabled quickloot the slots moved back to above the dialogue window but sorted in 2x5 like I left them. Am I doing something wrong?
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited April 2016
    illathid said:

Weird question but maybe someone knows. Would it be possible to use the scroll wheel to scroll through a list of buttons? Was thinking about it for the character record sheet.

Was thinking it could be a nice middle ground between using buttons to jump to the exact info you want and the ease of scrolling through a list.

I think this works already, it seems like I did it accidentally once when I dragged the menu frame too small in F11 mode.
    mf2112 said:

illathid said:

I think this works already, it seems like I did it accidentally once when I dragged the menu frame too small in F11 mode.
    Interesting. I'll have to mess around with it.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    illathid said:

mf2112 said:

illathid said:

Oh wait, sorry, I just realized that you were meaning for the scroll wheel to effectively click the buttons as it scrolled. I didn't do that, I made the menu frame a bit too small and then a scroll bar got added since the contents would no longer fit. It would be really cool if the scroll wheel could activate the buttons while scrolling the list but that might be tough.
    mf2112 said:

illathid said:

mf2112 said:

illathid said:

Oh wait, sorry, I just realized that you were meaning for the scroll wheel to effectively click the buttons as it scrolled. I didn't do that, I made the menu frame a bit too small and then a scroll bar got added since the contents would no longer fit. It would be really cool if the scroll wheel could activate the buttons while scrolling the list but that might be tough.
    Yeah, I see why it could be tough but I think it'd give you the best of both worlds so to speak.
    edited April 2016
    forget it. spent a bunch of time setting up my UI only to discover that half the things from the main game play UI don't stay in the places where i put them.. also why use F5 and F11... they are game keys that I use... all the time.. that can't be changed.... please change the keys or something this is horrible and as of right now completely useless to me.

If anyone knows a way to make my changes stay after reloading the game or change these keys please let me know.
    Post edited by Dameon2 on
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Dameon2 said:

forget it. spent a bunch of time setting up my UI only to discover that half the things from the main game play UI don't stay in the places where i put them.. also why use F5 and F11... they are game keys that I use... all the time.. that can't be changed.... please change the keys or something this is horrible and as of right now completely useless to me.

If anyone knows a way to make my changes stay after reloading the game or change these keys please let me know.

The issue with moving things like the dialog window around is on (re)load the code centers the elements and re-defines the zero point of the local coordinate system to the top (or maybe bottom, have not checked for vertical placement) and left of the box. When you move things via F11 it is off of this relative coordinate system that gets re-defined on reload, hence moving the elements to a new place (e.g. it is still at x=-11, but the zero point that is based off of has changed so it moves position). If you are moving around the auto-centered elements I would recommend changing the base code instead of moving it in F11 mode.
    illathid
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Sorry if this has been asked already, I looked quickly at the code and not sure if it could be circumvented. Could this be used to allow the "Steal" button in shop to steal multiple objects at once? ( with a roll for each of course)
    cmk24 said:

Dameon2 said:

The issue with moving things like the dialog window around is on (re)load the code centers the elements and re-defines the zero point of the local coordinate system to the top (or maybe bottom, have not checked for vertical placement) and left of the box. When you move things via F11 it is off of this relative coordinate system that gets re-defined on reload, hence moving the elements to a new place (e.g. it is still at x=-11, but the zero point that is based off of has changed so it moves position). If you are moving around the auto-centered elements I would recommend changing the base code instead of moving it in F11 mode.
    Hey thanks for the reply. Ill look into changing it in teh code instead of just the F11 method
    This could potentially be used to create menus for mods kind of like Sky UI in Skyrim it seems since you can use console commands, could be interesting for mods that have dynamic components I think.
    I was looking into making an interface to separate saves by character but it seems even basic packages like os aren't available, am I misunderstanding how lua works or is this normal ?