Skip to content

Really Beamdog and Dee?

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

Considering Dee has been silencing people who have been rational and respectful on both these forums and on Steam, I don't think your side can say very much about freedom of speech.

And yours can? Because I ask again: how is it ethical to call for censorship of easter eggs, or ask that a creator compromise her right to free speech? Aren't these contrary to the values GamerGaters claim to believe in?
    rorikoncraymond727
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    Jezebel (part of Gawker media by the way, no need to say more) and Anita Sarkessian, a well known con woman that still hasnt finished the videos for which all of those people paid for.
    Now you've truly lost it Dee.
  • InconnuInconnu Member Posts: 99
    edited April 2016
    Pelmaleon said:

Inconnu said:

The problem here is that all these totally fair, not at all revenge-based reviews wouldn't be occurring if not for the light-hearted Minsc potshot and inclusion of a certain character. Can the GG's just admit it's about that and not "bugs and poor writing" that render the game abysmal?

Others and I wrote our thumbs down reviews (which I admitted in my review was actually a mixed review, but steam had no option for that) for Baldur's Gate before even hearing about the Minsc line or Mizhena encounter, so I'd appreciate it if you stopped your strawmanning mendacities meant to spin the narrative of events: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197998538689/recommended/228280

Fans of the series have been irked for years regarding the missteps the Enhanced Editions have taken. I just recently started playing BG:EE a few days ago to get a party ready to transfer over to Siege of Dragonspear when I experienced them firsthand (cartoonish cinematics and UI blunders galore). You can bury your head in the sand all you want - it won't change the fact that there are other reasons people have issues with Beamdog's direction of the series that don't have to do with the mere introduction of SJW themes. Pigeonholing all negative reviewers and demonizing them is a sure-fire way to lose hardcore fans of the series, like myself.
    Oh, I'm positive there are a bunch of negative reviews that make legitimate points about the game's flaws. It's got plenty of them. But the sheer volume of them, all saying basically the exact same things, in such a short amount of time, is doubtlessly the result of the GG slander campaign resulting from aforementioned "controversies".
    pekoFawnky
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288

Dee is more or less implying that there is a "terrible hate campaign" against Beamdog while ignoring that there are actual issues with the game. Not to mention that he is only proving the Gamergaters right by running straight to Anita and Jezebel of all places.

I agree with that. I couldn't even play SoD yet, because of the bugs and the drastic changes on the UI. I couldn't even examine the content of the game yet... I'm waiting for it's technical issues to be fixed before I can finally play the intersequel of my favorite saga in game history.
  • PelmaleonPelmaleon Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2016

What exactly were you thinking posting this on twitter?
    You have probably just ensured that this sh*tstorm gets even bigger.
    http://archive.is/tlJCs

... if you don't want the shitstorm to get bigger, maybe you should have pm Dee instead of posting a thread that anyone can see...
    It's quite obvious Dee is deeply passionate about the mostly pseudo-intellectual (and sometimes anti-intellectual) SJW movement. What he is doing is actively hurting the future of the game by pushing this fiasco towards things it is not (GGers vs SJWers instead of bad design choices vs lazy/stubborn devs - it should obviously be the latter if you care at all about great video games). He's basically calling for reinforcements from the femfreq battalion to "fight back against these malicious GGers!". I honestly hope, for the sake of the future of the series I once heralded as some of the greatest games of all time, he and any other mod/dev/writer who actively shove Baldur's Gate away from greatness to be removed/fired from their positions. I don't want them to be witchhunted, harassed, or any other rage-filled action because they are probably fairly nice and passionate people. Nevertheless, it's been evinced from the past couple days that their number one priority isn't making Baldur's Gate the best game possible - it's to feed their egos with varying amounts of SJW vitriol and machinations.

Edit: For the record I'm not a member of the pigeonholed Gamer Gaters or pigeonholed SJWs. I'm generally not a fan of engaging in slacktivism. Life is too precious to waste endeavoring to debate away the sea of ignorance online.
    Post edited by Pelmaleon on
    Coffeethrall
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2016
    That's... disconcerting to see. Trent's message was alright with me but this is ridiculous. The "GamerGate" boogeyman meme needs to go away already. It's a bunch of trolls who LIKE this attention. If you ignore them they get bored very quickly, yet you just gave them more food and encouragement to continue.

These aren't DnD Trolls, fire only makes them stronger.
    prem0nitionPelmaleonKrotosbooinyoureyes
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I wonder if it's just one butthurt guy with alot of accounts.

Anyways, I'm gonna stop feeding the trolls and I advice all fellow community members to do the same. Really, just stop posting and the trolls will starve and move on to the next prey.
    [Deleted User]
  • JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201

Surely games having more types of characters and representation is a net positive for games in general?

Sure. Now let's have NPCs who are peadophiles, rapists, war criminals.

YAY DIVERSITY.
    Pelmaleon
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited April 2016
    Joey said:

Skatan said:

So if you think nothing can fix the problem @Joey, why do you nag about it? Just walk away quietly then and let the rest of us who cares for the game and the company remain.

But you can't, can you? Cause the need for hating is so strong in some people.

Hate? There's only one side of this debate that's telling people to shut up and go away.

Protip - it's the same side of the debate that's been silencing people since day 1.
    Can you honestly say there's no hate campaign? Anyway, what @Skatan said was reasonable, you say that there's no fixing it now, and that you don't like the game (must be so unrecognizable now, huh?), so why continue to stay here? We've heard enough, more than enough, from your side. There's nothing more to add, instead we're simply going in circles. So again "why not just walk away quietly and let the rest of us who cares for the game and the company remain"? The original series is waiting
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Thank you.
    Thank you thank you thank you thank you.
    booinyoureyesKamigoroshiKrotosSilverstar
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    Purudaya said:

Unlike metacritic and GoG, Steam is the only site that requires you to own a game before reviewing it. On Steam, SoD has a 71% approval rating (including reviews about legit technical issues). Everywhere else, it's tanking.

If you think that has nothing to do with gamergate, then there's nothing I can do to help you.

Steam also lets you buy the game, write a review and then refund the game...
  • epicrakshasasepicrakshasas Member Posts: 71
    shawne said:

Considering Dee has been silencing people who have been rational and respectful on both these forums and on Steam, I don't think your side can say very much about freedom of speech.

And yours can? Because I ask again: how is it ethical to call for censorship of easter eggs, or ask that a creator compromise her right to free speech? Aren't these contrary to the values GamerGaters claim to believe in?
    All I've been saying is that the writing is banal and boring and that these devs have absolutely failed in good communication and PR.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    This is silly.
    Smoke a bowl and chill out people.
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    Wait, Baldur's Gate doesn't have war criminal NPC's? I thought that was Sarevok's whole schtick.
    booinyoureyesKamigoroshiKrotosLAZERDOG

Joey said:

Remove the GamerGate easter egg, as the whole point of that meme is to piss off GGers. No need to remove the character itself.

ha ha ha ha ha

And there it is: confirmation that those negative reviews are all dishonest BS intended as revenge for a perceived slight. And in fact nothing to do with the quality of the game itself.

This is awesome because it's going to go down in history as the moment Metacritic lost its legitimacy.

Btw I think people are worrying too much here. Doesn't anyone think maybe these moves by Trent and Dee are calculated? This is a business; they know that the weird GamerGate community is generally not respected, and you'll sell more games by charging right against them, than by conceding any ground to their trolling. This is smart and I love it.

After all if it's a question of retaining the right to publish material under the D&D brand... well D&D has had its own problems with paranoid reactionary far-right conservatives. So if you want to align yourself with D&D and role-playing in general, then aligning yourself against far-right conservatives seems completely sensible.
    This whole thread is full of gems like this. Thankyou.
    GodKaiserHell
  • FiachFiach Member Posts: 231
    Problem with reviews on GOG, is that any tool can write a review there without buying the game first, hence the proliferation of negative reviews there from SJWs, which that site is infested with, through people using multiple accounts to harass forum members and down vote reviews and forum posts.

GG is quite a hugely divisive item on that site with hundreds of pages of posts about it causing lots of people to actually leave the site (myself included).

I don't think that BD should have got involved in the reviews, it just gives these idiots more fuel to spew their hate.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

All I've been saying is that the writing is banal and boring and that these devs have absolutely failed in good communication and PR.

You interjected about "my side" obstructing free speech, after @Joey advocated the following:
    Joey said:

Earlier in the process...told the writer not to mention politics in interviews, made sure devs don't slag off their critics or ask for positive reviews. Remove the GamerGate easter egg, as the whole point of that meme is to piss off GGers. No need to remove the character itself.

And I'm still waiting on an answer: is the removal of an easter egg not censorship? Is that not exactly what the Overwatch controversy was supposedly about? Does Amber Scott not have the right to free speech in interviews, or the right to tell critics to fuck off (the way so many GGers claimed Tecmo should have done)?
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    Dee said:

Lesson learned, tweet deleted.

Of course the original poster in this thread is using a web archive link (which is something I've seen a lot in the last 48 hours, interestingly enough), so I guess deleting the tweet is irrelevant.

Thank you. I hope you don't get backlash for this because they get very personal, and as a fan, I'm very sorry you all have to put up with this nonsense. I do hope everyone at Beamdog knows there are a lot of people out there who are very excited about this game and the achievement in bringing a brand new adventure to us after so long.
    Buttercheese
    shawne said:

And I'm still waiting on an answer: is the removal of an easter egg not censorship? Is that not exactly what the Overwatch controversy was supposedly about? Does Amber Scott not have the right to free speech in interviews, or the right to tell critics to fuck off (the way so many GGers claimed Tecmo should have done)?

It's not censorship, as censorship by its definition is done by a government or media organisation. Devs can do what the hell they like with their games, they don't need me to tell them that.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    PelmaleonIllustairKrotos
This discussion has been closed.