Skip to content

<b class="Bold">On the lack of Jaheira's Voice.</b>

BillyH666BillyH666 Member Posts: 96
Now I just want to say I'm not mad, just disappointed about this. I understand that they couldn't find the original VA for her and couldn't find a voice actress with a similar enough voice, but it's just so incredibly jarring to be walking around the map when a party convo pops up and half of the conversation is silence. It's like a gaping lack of content, and it just stuns me that they didn't just bite the bullet and put another voice actress in the game (Heck, Minsc sounds somewhat different despite having the same VA, due to general aging.). Yes, people would be disappointed, but I think it would have been preferable to what we currently have. That being said, I understand Beamdog's reasoning and hope at somepoint they find the VA and get her to do the lines for the patch, or come across someone who can replicate the voice well. So, what are your thoughts on the lack of our clubwielding half-elf's voice?
Post edited by BillyH666 on

Comments

• GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    It didn't bother me that much, I don't know how much work they did with the VA they tried but it would be nice of them to release a mod that puts the new VA.
  • BillyH666BillyH666 Member Posts: 96

It didn't bother me that much, I don't know how much work they did with the VA they tried but it would be nice of them to release a mod that puts the new VA.

Well heck, maybe someone will take it upon themselves to mod a jaheira voice into the game.

Its also kind of funny because a lot of the old complaints about Jaheira were that she never shuts up.

Gues you don't know what you have till it's gone eh? Personally I thought she was kind of funny.

• StonekingStoneking Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2016
    I think Beamdog made the right decision in the end. Although yeah it is a shame they couldn't find the original voice actor, Jaheira was awesome, I nearly always had her in my party when playing Bg1 and 2.
  • jimw884jimw884 Member Posts: 24
    I don't suppose those files will ever be made available to listen to, will they?
  • ZoimosZoimos Member Posts: 81
    if a voice for her was recorded I would like an option to turn it on for people who prefer it. I much prefer a voice that sounds a bit different than no voice at all, definitely if she is the only silent voice in a conversation.
  • GrifGrif Member Posts: 48
    Sounds to me like you guys made the right decision here. I'd rather no voice, than one that didn't sound like the Jaheira we all know. Good job.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I agree with their reasoning and justification. No voice is better than wrong voice, and it's not like everything is voice acted in the original game either.

Unless of course the issue is that the new voice actress' portrayal was too nagging and sexist cliché. Impossible to say for sure, not having heard her.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Hello friends, I would like to report on some information on this subject I have uncovered. It turns out they they mistakenly hired Danny Devito to voice Jaheira and while his performance was excellent it was not as accurate to the character as they had hoped.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited April 2016
    Danny Devito? :D

If they find Heidi Shannon, they said that they will gladly cast her and dub Jaheira's lines.
    Is there someone that can hire a detective to find her?
  • MarkosMarkos Member Posts: 30
    I remember watching a Beamdog twitch session of SoD where Jaheira had a voice and it was bad. It was obvious it wasn't the same voice actress. I think they made the right choice by removing the voice completely.
    surely there is someone out there that can do a good Jaheira voice!
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    edited April 2016
    I totally agree with the OP and strongly disagree that no voice is better than a slightly off voice. Jaheira is my favorite NPC of all and having her be completely silent kills me. I miss her biting sarcasm and mature common sense, and she is always my romance option in BG2.

But I also get what @Illydth says. And here's where I feel Beamdog did itself a huge favor. Having the "wrong" VO would definitely have lit up the forums with the complaints of the purists (and I'll be honest - I don't care for the purists at all), and that would've hurt the game right out of the gate. But adding in the VO at a later date in a patch I think would be much less controversial and any complaints at that point would generally get ignored by most people.
  • imbreximbrex Member Posts: 3
    I'm glad they didn't try to replace the voice actor. That would have been much worse.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    In all seriousness, if they had gone with a new voice actor, it would take a moment to get used to, but I'm sure it would have been fine.

When Wayne Allwine died (the voice of Mickey Mouse from 1977-2009), Disney, of course, found a new actor for Mickey. The first time I heard the new actor (while my daughter was watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse), I turned my head and thought "That's not Mickey!". Of course, I got used to it. I can still tell which episodes of Clubhouse are done by Wayne Allwine and which are done by Bret Iwan, but it doesn't bother me.
    edited April 2016
    If you want to hear the recast Jaheira, use NearInfinity and listen to BD50790, BD50794 in the "wav" section.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited April 2016
    kanisatha said:

Having the "wrong" VO would definitely have lit up the forums with the complaints of the purists (and I'll be honest - I don't care for the purists at all), and that would've hurt the game right out of the gate. But adding in the VO at a later date in a patch I think would be much less controversial and any complaints at that point would generally get ignored by most people.

Postponing a mistake doesn't change the fact it's a mistake. If the developers weren't happy with the new voice acting now there's no reason to think they'll be happy with it a few months into the future. Adding it in a patch I can't agree with, because there isn't a long and rich history of making stuff in the patches optional here and previous patches never remain available.

Adding it as an optional download though, now that would be a good compromise. People who wants the new voice acting gets it and the people who doesn't want it aren't affected.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    The question is, was the new VA for Jaheira completed?
    @Illustair - See my post above. There are wavs for voiced lines in SoD for Jaheira. So, I'd say, yes VO was done. Then, they decided in testing that it wasn't working with the new actor. Since they couldn't find Heidi Shannon and probably didn't have time or $$ to recast again, they went with Plan B.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Sorry I overlooked your post. That's good news then!
    Woohoo! Or woohoo? I would like to see this, it was nice of the devs to at least leave it in, they probably knew someone was gonna mod it eventually. That being said, it will be interesting to see how many more people will agree with the dev decision once they hear the voice themselves.
    edited April 2016

Hello friends, I would like to report on some information on this subject I have uncovered. It turns out they they mistakenly hired Danny Devito to voice Jaheira and while his performance was excellent it was not as accurate to the character as they had hoped.

So was it like that scene from that Austin Powers movie then? (machineguns blaze in the air) "HEY ASSHOLES! IT'S ME, JAHEIRA!!!" If so, please ad a retroactive April 1st patch :p

• TraycorTraycor Member Posts: 33
    After listening to the files, I think there is a nice compromise solution.

Only use the first few words from the audio files and leave the rest for the user to read on screen. It only becomes very obviously not the same actor as the performance trails on. A few words wouldn't be as jarring.

For example, "Khalid just gave me this necklace," would be voiced and the rest of the line would be silent. It fits with how many of the VO segments were done in the original game.
    edited April 2016
    Traycor said:

After listening to the files, I think there is a nice compromise solution.

Only use the first few words from the audio files and leave the rest for the user to read on screen. It only becomes very obviously not the same actor as the performance trails on. A few words wouldn't be as jarring.

For example, "Khalid just gave me this necklace," would be voiced and the rest of the line would be silent. It fits with how many of the VO segments were done in the original game.
    Yeah, that makes sense somewhat, that is indeed how they do voices in the base game.

Post edited by BillyH666 on

I can see how many voiced lines there are for Jaheira's dialog lines fairly easily. The number in the wav filename corresponds to the dialog.tlk line.

And, I found her character sounds! Ok. I'll make a mod for this. :smile:

It might take a few days. I'm finishing up my Chatty Imoen mod.

I'm looking forward to it :D